Lost Dogs.. Unreleased treasures..

enrique_hrenrique_hr Posts: 249
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I was listening to the Lost Dogs album and i cant help noticing how many of those songs are awesome and never made it to the albums.. Yellow Ledbetter.. Alone.. Which songs should have made the albums???
Stop throwing the man quarters!

EV 07-6-2011, LA1 11/23/2013, LA2 11/24/2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pearl JamesPearl James Posts: 420
    Sad
  • enrique_hr wrote:
    I was listening to the Lost Dogs album and i cant help noticing how many of those songs are awesome and never made it to the albums.. Yellow Ledbetter.. Alone.. Which songs should have made the albums???
    Hmm, well I think the albums are pretty perfect the way they are haha!

Just for fun though, I'd be interested to see how the Binaural outtakes "Sad", "Fatal", "In the Moonlight", and "Education" would have fit on that record. I think there was a track listing released with some of those songs on it before Binaural came out.

I also think there was an import version of Ten that had "Alone", "Footsteps", and "Yellow Ledbetter" thrown in on the end. I don't know where "Master/Slave" placed in all that.

Lost Dogs is kind of a sporadic mess of sorts to me, mixing all the different eras together and what not. I like what they did with the Rearviewmirror mix just listing the tracks together by date they were released, but they also had Ed do over some vocals on the old tracks like on "State of Love and Trust", like "Alone" on Lost Dogs, and I prefer the original released versions from Singles and Go.
    Fan of singer songwriters who push musical boundaries?
    You need to hear this new artist!
    Visit www.daveshowmusic.com

• Just for fun though, I'd be interested to see how the Binaural outtakes "Sad", "Fatal", "In the Moonlight", and "Education" would have fit on that record. I think there was a track listing released with some of those songs on it before Binaural came out.
    And here it is (from Wikipedia):
    Original track listing
    When the tracklisting for Binaural was first released in late March 2000, it was quite different from the final version. Some tracks that were originally on the album were dropped and not released until the 2003 rarities compilation, Lost Dogs, and "Gods' Dice" was added to the final version. The original version is as follows:

1."Breakherfall"
    2."Insignificance"
    3."Evacuation"
    4."Letter to the Dead"
    Later renamed to "Sad"
    5."Rival"
    6."Grievance"
    7."Light Years"
    8."Of the Girl"
    9."Thin Air"
    10."Nothing as It Seems"
    11."Fatal"
    12."Sleight of Hand"
    13."Soon Forget"
    14."In the Moonlight"
    15."Parting Ways"
    16."Education"
    Fan of singer songwriters who push musical boundaries?
    You need to hear this new artist!
    Visit www.daveshowmusic.com
  • Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    The Ten European version had three bonus tracks:

1. Once
    2. Even Flow
    4. Why Go
    5. Black
    6. Jeremy
    7. Oceans
    8. Porch
    9. Garden
    10. Deep
    11. Release
    12. Alive (Live)
    13. Wash
    14. Dirty Frank
  • Don't give me no lip.
  • "Lost Dogs" has some good songs on it, but it's a total mess. Each disc starts off really strong and then fizzles out towards the end. Did they really need to include "Yellow Ledbetter" in the middle of the album? Doesn't everybody have 15 copies of that song already? And where is "Leatherman" and "Sonic Reducer"? I also HATE IT when bands re-do the vocals on old material. It's a fucking abomination. When I listen to Brother, Alone, Hold On...I listen to the original Ten Outtakes on that Epic promo CD...not the frankenstein versions on "Lost Dogs". IMO, "Lost Dogs" could have been a real stunner had it been put together with some sense.
  • jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    How "Sad" never made it to 'Binaural' is the eternal mystery....and I actually like "You" quite a bit, that should've been on 'Yield' in place of "Pilate."
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • jwagner wrote:
    How "Sad" never made it to 'Binaural' is the eternal mystery....and I actually like "You" quite a bit, that should've been on 'Yield' in place of "Pilate."

good call.

And yeah why wasn't Leatherman on Lost Dogs? Or Long Road/I Got Shit. Didn't need Last Kiss or Yellow Ledbetter - they aren't lost dogs
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • EvoLukinEvoLukin Posts: 188
    Hard to Imagine. One of the slow jam greats.

Paint a picture, using only grey.
    "Smelly Velvet"-EV on Stone's velvet shorts(ATL 94)

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Undone for sure and Strangest tribe is one we are very much appreciating lately. Lost Dogs is still my favorite PJ cd - treasures a perfect word for the songs
  • RGarabed21RGarabed21 Posts: 467
    HOLD ON is the best song ever made..period.
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    I'm pretty sure Ledbetter and Last Kiss are on the CD so that it would have some level of appeal to casual listeners who know these songs and might buy the album just because of them. Seeing as how neither are on any other full-length album, it makes sense.

Hard to Imagine and Strangest Tribe are the biggest gems on Lost Dogs. I have a hard time understanding how either could have been cut previously.

I kind of like the wacky nature of the track listing, although, to be honest, I just have a Lost Dogs playlist on my iPod (with both discs combined) and I almost always listen to it on shuffle. :D
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • jwagner wrote:

My wife and I were talking about this the other day, I think Sad didn't make it because there are a lot of other songs that are very similar lyrically that made Sad redundant. In particular Light Years, Parting Ways and Breakerfall
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • J_LAWNJ_LAWN Posts: 163
    "Down" is an incredible song
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Sad
    and Down
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    J_LAWN wrote:
    "Down" is an incredible song

I think the best song off Lost Dogs.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    HOLD ON
    OTHER SIDE
    FOOTSTEPS
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395
    LukinFan wrote:
    Sad
    and Down

and Fatal.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • RuebRueb Posts: 63
    Hub. wrote:
    The Ten European version had three bonus tracks:

1. Once
    2. Even Flow
    4. Why Go
    5. Black
    6. Jeremy
    7. Oceans
    8. Porch
    9. Garden
    10. Deep
    11. Release
    12. Alive (Live)
    13. Wash
    14. Dirty Frank

I absolutely hate this version.I think it is ridiculous to put a live version of a song that's already on the album as a bonus track. But what really shows the record company put no thought in this release: the ten minute silence and prelonged Master/Slave are also on this version, after which the bonus tracks set in. No way to finish an album.

I have the same problem with the European version of Soundgarden's Superunknown. Like Suicide is the perfect atmospheric album closer, but they decided to put the poppy nothingspecial She Likes Suprises behind it, just to add a bonus track.