Sharing Pearl Jam in one of my classes

samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
edited March 2010 in The Porch
So I take this psychology class at school with the most awesome teacher- he totally is unique and uses his own teaching methods, and all of us students really get a lot out of it. Anyway, every friday is 'Music Friday' where two people every Friday share a song that means a lot to them.

Yesterday I shared In Hiding with my classmates- none of which had heard it before- and really got to talk about how much that song, and Pearl Jam, means to me. It was really cool that I was just able to share some of my thoughts on the song, and then as a class we went through the lyrics, picking them apart. Cool experience, just thought I'd share :)
"Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
~not a dude~
2010: MSGx2
2012: Made In America
2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
2015: Global Citizen Festival
2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What amazes me is that people know who Pearl Jam is but don't listen to them...they always say, "O yeah, I know 10!" Try listening to their other music...they would be blown away!
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,729
    What amazes me is that people know who Pearl Jam is but don't listen to them...they always say, "O yeah, I know 10!" Try listening to their other music...they would be blown away!

Agreed my friend. I don't understand how so many people I meet (i am 25 by the way) have no idea about the other discs. Why do radio stations (in canada) just play even flow, jeremy, betterman and daughter. What happened to given to fly on the radio, in 1998 it was massive in canada. I was talking to this doctor on a plane who was about thirty and he was blown away that I was flying to vancouver to see pearl jam last september. I told him that i just saw them twice in seattle too and he made a comment about "is PJ on a reunion tour?" And i was shocked as hell. He had not heard one song since TEN and made the comment, "is ten from '88." I told this guy they just put out a new disc and I recommended him to listen to no code and yield. He wrote down the names so I hope he eventually listens to these albums. He will be better off if he did. Thanks guys
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    i always feel like the only PJ fan in-till i show up in here or at a show . its weird . !! ;)
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    samjam wrote:
    So I take this psychology class at school with the most awesome teacher- he totally is unique and uses his own teaching methods, and all of us students really get a lot out of it. Anyway, every friday is 'Music Friday' where two people every Friday share a song that means a lot to them.

Yesterday I shared In Hiding with my classmates- none of which had heard it before- and really got to talk about how much that song, and Pearl Jam, means to me. It was really cool that I was just able to share some of my thoughts on the song, and then as a class we went through the lyrics, picking them apart. Cool experience, just thought I'd share :)

In Hiding is one of my favorites as well.
    If you don't mind I'd like to hear what the class thought about the lyrics...
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    What amazes me is that people know who Pearl Jam is but don't listen to them...they always say, "O yeah, I know 10!" Try listening to their other music...they would be blown away!

i used to be that guy 4 years ago. All better now, i credit you tube.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    it's always great sharing pearl jam in school.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • I had a poetry class during my BA and we had to pick a song and translate its meaning from our perspective. I used "I got ID" and people were amazed by the song. I heard the same reaction "I love Ten...you mean theyre still together." Very disappointing.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Isaac wrote:
    samjam wrote:

Well we had the lyrics up on the screen in the front of the class, and it was a fairly short discussion and my teacher was really the one facilitating it. We just talked about how the subject of the song is in an unstable and confused place, and the way Ed describes the process of going "In Hiding". My teacher seemed very impressed with the song and the lyrics. I was thinking 'Yeah, thats right' :D
    I tried to keep my mouth shut & let the class share their thoughts, cause I could talk about that song forever!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    samjam wrote:
    Isaac wrote:
    samjam wrote:

Well we had the lyrics up on the screen in the front of the class, and it was a fairly short discussion and my teacher was really the one facilitating it. We just talked about how the subject of the song is in an unstable and confused place, and the way Ed describes the process of going "In Hiding". My teacher seemed very impressed with the song and the lyrics. I was thinking 'Yeah, thats right' :D
    I tried to keep my mouth shut & let the class share their thoughts, cause I could talk about that song forever!

I find it amazing that the class thought the subject of the song is in an unstable place. I have always thought that the subject was in a secure place, a place that was healing and that place ultimately left the subject in an enlightened state (all my being was enlightened). Perhaps the in beginning of the story the subject is in a tricky situation but, for me the overall feeling of the song is positive.

It is pretty sweet that the class had the opportunity to check these lyrics out. I bet there were other songs and lyrics in which your other classmates brought in that you were surprised by. Seems like a good assignment.
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    i love in hiding, i used to be totally obsessed with yield, now backspacer is my favorite.

In my freshmen year i did my freshmen project on pearl jam cuz u could do anything related to seattle. So i talked about pearl jam and my teacher was totally into it but only a few of the students were the others didnt seem to like it lol =[
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009