QUESTION ABOUT RECORD SALES

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
edited March 2010 in The Porch
How they count them..i mean they say that an artist sold 5.000.000 albums..how they count?of how many record company print?there a system show how many sold from record stores?
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    How they count them..i mean they say that an artist sold 5.000.000 albums..how they count?of how many record company print?there a system show how many sold from record stores?

In the USA its done by a system called SoundScan, only stores that have this system count towards the Billboard. Also they use a thing called Broadcast Data Systems which logs plays on radio stations which adds to the number for the chart, so each song has a kind of finger print so they can be detected by the system, points are allocated based on time of day, audience size and so on. I dont have any idea about UK or Europe though
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I think the system is Soundscan, although I don't know much about it
    I remember Prince mentioning it in an interview because he doesn't believe them...he thought he was selling more records than what they said
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    and what about the past?how can someone can say that beatles sold 50 million copies..must be a way..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    peacegirl wrote:
    I think the system is Soundscan, although I don't know much about it
    I remember Prince mentioning it in an interview because he doesn't believe them...he thought he was selling more records than what they said

Prince should talk, he incorporates his albums sales into his live concert tickets, go see him in concert, get a free cd, but it isn't free, he just jacks up the price of ticket then gets higher numbers for everybody who goes to his concerts, if Pearl Jam or U2 did this, every album would be triple platinum .
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    and what about the past?how can someone can say that beatles sold 50 million copies..must be a way..

Previously, Billboard tracked sales by calling stores across the U.S. and asking about sales - a method that was inherently error-prone and open to outright fraud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundscan
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    thanks Norm..so when i read here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Jam
    Since its inception, the band has sold over thirty million records in the U.S.,[2] and an estimated sixty million worldwide...its not true,,or is a number more or less
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    thanks Norm..so when i read here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Jam
    Since its inception, the band has sold over thirty million records in the U.S.,[2] and an estimated sixty million worldwide...its not true,,or is a number more or less

since the band has been around since soundscan started (more or less) their US album sales are accurate...i don't know how worldwide sales are calculated...if there isn't a soundscan-type deal for the world, i'd assume they use discs shipped