Options

Is this Authentic??

Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
edited November 2012 in The Porch
the Minions
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    this is 100% authentic no doubts about it.....i know this because i have several eddie signatures and i know the dude thats selling this....
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    I don't know the whole story here...but what bothers me is that the guy getting autograph from eV, not as a fan, but with intention to sell to make profit.

I don't think EV would have went for that if he knew this person's real intention. :S

He prefers that his items go for causes. That is what I have been observing over the years.

I wonder what this guy told EV when he asked to sign this t-shirt?

*shakes head*

I'd email 10c if I were you, Strangest Tribe and maybe you'd get an answer straight from them?

I wouldn't bid on it myself. :P
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    hitchhiker.

that sig looks nothing like the one i have, not doubting this guy, just saying that ed's sig has sure changed.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    looks real to me. the "E" is different from usual signings, but if you were faking it, why would you make such an obvious alteration to the sig? also, psa/dna is well-respected, not a homemade COA. if it's got their hologram or cert number on it, you can verify it through psa....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    hitchhiker.

that sig looks nothing like the one i have, not doubting this guy, just saying that ed's sig has sure changed.

it absolutely has changed over the years.

i'm looking at this one and wondering why he used that "E". looks almost like he made a "C" (like for Cubs), and then crossed it to make it an "E"....

• Options
    I have seen a few recent EV autos that Ed has changed his "E" to look like the "E" used on the Gibson Epiphone Guitar logo. Looks pretty legit to me.
  • Options
    hitchhiker.

Ed's signature has changed....He does his E quite a bit differently now....just saying....
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    some guy was selling a baseball signed by eddie a few weeks ago and this looks like the same autograph. (The sellers were different) I would say it is authentic. My signature has changed a bit over the years so I wouldn't doubt it's Ed's.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Looks and sounds legit to me. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    PSA is a very reliable authentication company, so I would say, yes, it is legit.

If only I had the money...that would be a BADASS jersey to own!

Edit: Just placed a bid on it, but highly doubt I'll be the winner.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    I'm not here to tell anyone what to do at all... but hope you don't mind me sharing my feelings about this individual.

I don't have any respect for this individual at all - I looked at his other items for sale...

He has a poster signed by all five members "that took him some time" during the WWS tour in 06. He's selling this for 349 bucks.

He had intentions of selling them and making profits.

You know how fans who have this exciting feeling of getting their favorite person(s) signing something that will forever be something special to them?

This individual isn't one of them. Boo to him. :p

Okay, thanks for letting me sharing my feelings and you can go ahead and roll eyes at me. ;)

Feel free to ignore me, really! :D

Carry on...*bows out*
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    PSA DNA is the authority in third party authentication. It will hold the highest resale value because of this Certification. All major auction houses use and trust PSA DNA for Authentication, and their market is far too large to Certify fraudulent signatures. Just check the Cert # on their website before buying.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,644
    IamMine wrote:
    I don't think EV would have went for that if he knew this person's real intention. :S

He prefers that his items go for causes. That is what I have been observing over the years.

I'd email 10c if I were you, Strangest Tribe and maybe you'd get an answer straight from them?

in all honesty, depending on eV's mood on any given day, if an individual approached in a polite manner and eV felt like signing an autograph he absolutely would. it's pretty easy to spot the autograph sellers in a crowd waiting for eV at the airport/hotel/venue, but eV will still sign autographs for everyone once he starts signing.

as for getting 10C's authentication, which 10C is more than happy and willing to do for ANYONE by the way, it will require having the item mailed to 10C's office where the 10C staffer will just ask the band member in question to confirm the signature.
    hitchhiker.

dangerboy wrote:
    it absolutely has changed over the years.

i'm looking at this one and wondering why he used that "E". looks almost like he made a "C" (like for Cubs), and then crossed it to make it an "E"....

here's a recent (obtained at Massey Hall in Toronto during eV's recent solo stop last month) example of the LATEST version of the signature for your consideration:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/BeerBaron78/EV%20Poster/EastCoast2287.jpg

the most obvious change that's already been mentioned in this thread is the way eV know signs the letter E in his 1st name, as opposed to way he signed it pre-solo tour, an example of which is the signature i obtained from eV September/'07:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/100Pacer/?action=view&current=Tambourine005.jpg
    IamMine wrote:
    I'm not here to tell anyone what to do at all... but hope you don't mind me sharing my feelings about this individual.

I don't have any respect for this individual at all - I looked at his other items for sale...

He has a poster signed by all five members "that took him some time" during the WWS tour in 06. He's selling this for 349 bucks.

the same seller selling the Cubs jersey AND the poster you mentioned above also has the following Telecaster for sale, "signed" by eV:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDDIE-VEDDER-Pearl-Jam-Signed-Fender-Guitar-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ230288721092QQihZ013QQcategoryZ53267QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    PSA DNA is the authority in third party authentication. It will hold the highest resale value because of this Certification. All major auction houses use and trust PSA DNA for Authentication, and their market is far too large to Certify fraudulent signatures. Just check the Cert # on their website before buying.

the guitar mentioned above comes with said PSA DNA certification, but i've got to tell you i have NEVER trusted and will NEVER trust that type of authentication, if for no other reason than the signature on the guitar is 100% fake!

in this day and age where PJ fans are doing exactly what's being done in this thread, which is to post images of legitimate eV/PJ signatures, individuals who make a living knocking out fake signatures have an invaluable source from which to draw on examples of real autographs which they will then attempt to duplicate, in most cases quite poorly. tossing in the infamous "eV wave" in a signature might fool the casual fan into believing the signature is real but even the wave signed on the guitar is bogus.

ultimately, when it comes to purchasing signatures one thing is certain: buyer beware. sorry for the long post, just my $0.02
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    the guitar mentioned above comes with said PSA DNA certification, but i've got to tell you i have NEVER trusted and will NEVER trust that type of authentication, if for no other reason than the signature on the guitar is 100% fake!

in this day and age where PJ fans are doing exactly what's being done in this thread, which is to post images of legitimate eV/PJ signatures, individuals who make a living knocking out fake signatures have an invaluable source from which to draw on examples of real autographs which they will then attempt to duplicate, in most cases quite poorly. tossing in the infamous "eV wave" in a signature might fool the casual fan into believing the signature is real but even the wave signed on the guitar is bogus.

ultimately, when it comes to purchasing signatures one thing is certain: buyer beware. sorry for the long post, just my $0.02

psa dna is above reproach imho. they have been the standard bearer in baseball and other sport card grading for over 20 years. their authentication service is second to none. i agree that 99.9% of coa's are worthless, but the psa/dna is about the only one i'd trust.

although, i'd point out that ed did not sign the guitar. he obviously signed a pick guard that was later attached. and i disagree with you about its authenticity. looks real to me. and yes, i've obtained ed's auto in person myself. kinda funny that the "real" one on the tambourine that you posted is almost identical to the one you say is "bogus" on the guitar. the curve in the center of the "E", the arc of the "V" into the smaller "e", the trailing "r", the period at the end...all identical. the fact that the guitar one is a little sloppier and only has one "d" in each word tells me that he signed this quickly, maybe even begrudgingly knowing that this was a pro autograph hound...

however, on the caveat emptor, we agree

• Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    although, i'd point out that ed did not sign the guitar. he obviously signed a pick guard that was later attached. and i disagree with you about its authenticity. looks real to me. and yes, i've obtained ed's auto in person myself.

however, on the caveat emptor, we agree

what i should have said is eV signed the pick guard, and not the actual guitar.

i suppose the best position to be in is to obtain a signature yourself from someone whose signature you'd like to receive. obviously, that's not possible for everyone and it's upsetting to know PJ fans spend serious $$$ on signatures that are in fact fakes (some, not all, in all fairness).

but the case can be aruged that it really doesn't matter to some whether a signature is 100% legitimate. if someone believes a signature is real and that brings him/her joy, then by all means enjoy it. if someone doubts whether a signature is real or fake but buys the signed item anyway because it's a representation of the actual signature, again to them i say enjoy it and display it proudly if it means that much.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    I agree....the autograph on that guitar is soooooo fake.
    Since its the same seller thats selling the Cubs jersey, I'd shy away from purchasing it (the Jersey) if I were you. The V on the Jersey looks WAY bigger than any V I've seen Eddie do. Even if some of this guys sigs look legit...the fact that he has even one fake autograph up for sale calls all his auctions into question for me....no matter how close to the legit Ed signature I do have they may be.
    Good luck :)
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    in all honesty, depending on eV's mood on any given day, if an individual approached in a polite manner and eV felt like signing an autograph he absolutely would. it's pretty easy to spot the autograph sellers in a crowd waiting for eV at the airport/hotel/venue, but eV will still sign autographs for everyone once he starts signing.

that sounds about right...
    100 Pacer wrote:
    as for getting 10C's authentication, which 10C is more than happy and willing to do for ANYONE by the way, it will require having the item mailed to 10C's office where the 10C staffer will just ask the band member in question to confirm the signature.

they'd be more than happy to help, no doubt about it...but I don't think they'd be willing to have items mailed out to them, though - photos would suffice.

I know, because I was one of these suckers who wanted to purchase a signed guitar from "all the members of PJ" back in 2003 - when the board was down for months (remember these days where we hung out at RM?)

I really wish I asked 10c...but around that time I didn't get the impression that they were willing to help out with ebay questions, esp the autographs.

I however did ask people and some say yes while others say no...

After some time has passed and I had a question about the auction (Benoraya Hall Vinyl LP signed) 10c had put up and I asked 10c about the guitar (it had been bugging me in the back of my head).

Rob from 10c answered with regrets that it was not real when I sent him pictures.

I never told my hubby that it was fake - don't have the heart....it was his first guitar he had ever owned and he did play that thing to death. ;) It's still in good shape today.

But I spent 800 something on it that they "promised" was "authentic" (even have some fake certificate saying it was real - I wish I still had it but threw it away after 10c told me it was fake) and even defended themselves when I later confronted them via email after what 10c had told me. If I had asked earlier before the 30 days was up, I'd gladly return it.

They wouldn't admit it. I wish I still had that ebay link but I don't have it anymore.

I learned my lesson and I'd really much prefer that I had gotten it personally signed by PJ themselves in person instead of 3rd parties. It doesn't mean as much, does it?

It was nice to see my husband's face light up on x-mas. :(
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    psa dna is what it is. they are professionals. if the number on the cert from them is real, punch it into their website. if that coa was from anyone else, i wouldn't defend it. all of us looking at a pic on ebay don't come close to highly paid professional handwriting authenticators who have had the item in their hands and have examined it with magnifiers against known samples, whether we have obtained autos in person or not.

• Options

• Options
    IamMine wrote:

He had intentions of selling them and making profits.

You know how fans who have this exciting feeling of getting their favorite person(s) signing something that will forever be something special to them?

This individual isn't one of them. Boo to him. :p

Okay, thanks for letting me sharing my feelings and you can go ahead and roll eyes at me. ;)

Feel free to ignore me, really! :D

Carry on...*bows out*

I hear what you're saying and agree with your opinion but it's not illegal to sell an autograph. I don't put it in the same class as selling tickets.

Also, sure it's a nice jersey and it would be cool to own but it's just a fricking signature. I would think somebody would rather get the signature themselves than pay $400 for somebody else's work. I laugh at whoever shells out that kind of money for it.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:

i believe both of these examples were signed by eV and are legit. i've seen both of these types of eV signatures from items signed in person by eV during the 90's.

• Options
    I hear what you're saying and agree with your opinion but it's not illegal to sell an autograph. I don't put it in the same class as selling tickets.

Also, sure it's a nice jersey and it would be cool to own but it's just a fricking signature. I would think somebody would rather get the signature themselves than pay $400 for somebody else's work. I laugh at whoever shells out that kind of money for it.

:( I know...I feel like an idiot for spending that much money and I don't know what I was thinking.

It is just a fricking signature, I agree... and I don't have that desire anymore, esp after being fooled with that guitar.

I am not interested to do it even in person either - depending on the mood, I guess...especially for the PJ members themselves. I imagine they get tired of doing it all the time and I wouldn't want to ruin their moods. :p

Sorry for hijacking the thread...but good luck and thanks for letting me relieve the painful memories. ;)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    IamMine wrote:
    that sounds about right...
    they'd be more than happy to help, no doubt about it...but I don't think they'd be willing to have items mailed out to them, though - photos would suffice.

I really wish I asked 10c...but around that time I didn't get the impression that they were willing to help out with ebay questions, esp the autographs.

i mentioned 10C's stance, RE: verifying signatures by way of having an item in question mailed to 10C's office, based on a reply an individual here received from the 10C - the person in question was unsure about the legitimacy of a signed guitar he purchased and 10C offered to inspect the signatures in person.

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i mentioned 10C's stance, RE: verifying signatures by way of having an item in question mailed to 10C's office, based on a reply an individual here received from the 10C - the person in question was unsure about the legitimacy of a signed guitar he purchased and 10C offered to inspect the signatures in person.

That's news to me. Very nice of them to go that far to help the fans out!

P.S. Love your first signature - wish I had that newsletter! That's hilarious! :)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    I would think somebody would rather get the signature themselves than pay $400 for somebody else's work. I laugh at whoever shells out that kind of money for it.

of course the ideal scenario would be to obtain a signature in person; however, not every fan will have the opportunity to be in such an ideal position. if someone has the disposable income and wants to drop serious $$$ on a piece of memorabilia, who is anyone to judge them? i say, go nuts!

:)

• Options
    IamMine wrote:
    That's news to me. Very nice of them to go that far to help the fans out!

P.S. Love your first signature - wish I had that newsletter! That's hilarious! :)

the 10C staff can be, and are in fact VERY accommodating, that's why the 10C is so rad! i can just imagine one of the 10C staffers calling a member of the band over to their offices from the rehearsal space and asking "Is that in fact your signature?" ;)

as for the comment on my signature,...thanks! :) if you'd like i can take a pic of the newsletter with the quote and send it to you, as the quote was hidden in there lol

i guess the 10C changed their tune, going from not caring to caring about it all! J/K :D

• Options
    it must be for three reasons:

1) it have a certificate of authenticity

2) it's on ebay

and

3) the seller has given you his word

buyer beware!
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    the 10C staff can be, and are in fact VERY accommodating, that's why the 10C is so rad! i can just imagine one of the 10C staffers calling a member of the band over to their offices from the rehearsal space and asking "Is that in fact your signature?" ;)

as for the comment on my signature,...thanks! :) if you'd like i can take a pic of the newsletter with the quote and send it to you, as the quote was hidden in there lol

i guess the 10C changed their tune, going from not caring to caring about it all! J/K

Hahaha!

"Every other Monday, we'll check the autographed items when you all come in for rehearsal. Okay, guys?" Tim says and gets responses with grunts from the boys. ;)

Oh, I'd really love to see the picture of that newsletter! They had, and still to this day, have the sense of humor! :)

I agree that they totally rock! They do pulsate with the PJ community as it is shown with Tim coming here from time to time. :)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    I laugh at whoever shells out that kind of money for it.
    IamMine wrote:
    :( I know...I feel like an idiot for spending that much money and I don't know what I was thinking.

It is just a fricking signature, I agree... and I don't have that desire anymore, esp after being fooled with that guitar.

I am not interested to do it even in person either - depending on the mood, I guess...especially for the PJ members themselves. I imagine they get tired of doing it all the time and I wouldn't want to ruin their moods. :p

Sorry for hijacking the thread...but good luck and thanks for letting me relieve the painful memories. ;)

Haha, apologies I Am Mine. I didn't mean anything personally. To each their own and if you want it then go for it. It is a sweet ass shirt!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”