Ed/PJ Covers

bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Is it just me, or are some of his/their covers better then the originals?? Maybe it's because we just like his/their sound more but sometimes I can't help saying it. Below are a few of my thoughts. For the record I am not saying anything negative about the originals.

Walking the Cow
Millworker
Helpless
My City of Ruins
Waiting on a friend
It's ok
Modern Girl-I dont think he has ever played the whole thing
Crazy Mary
I am a Patriot
and.........................People are gonna get pissed
Forever Young

Thoughts?? Additions???

Bryan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    the best band in the world with the best songs in the world will covet the best songs too
    so please pj,play FREE BIRD in Berlin!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
    They have neevr played Free Bird have they??

You can add: I wont back down also to that list
    bry321f11 wrote:
    They have neevr played Free Bird have they??

You can add: I wont back down also to that list
    its one of my 2 dreams about pj..play free bird and see them in Argentina
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Girl From the North Country
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    Love Reign O'er Me is better then the original version by The Who. I thought so for years and then received the confirmation that I needed - My father, a HUGE fan of The Who.
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
  • KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    Rockin In The Free World
    Baba O'riley
    Fuckin' Up
  • Walking the Cow is NOT better than the original! Nobody will top that.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
    Girl From the North Country

So sick hearing that last summer...Amazing......Highight of night 1 in Baltimore last year was.....Atlantic City....Amazing.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    the best band in the world with the best songs in the world will covet the best songs too
    so please pj,play FREE BIRD in Berlin!!!!!!
    and make them better old son ;)
  • Dirty TomDirty Tom Posts: 883
    Can't believe no-one said....

Throw Your Arms Around Me!

My all-time favorite cover.
    http://www.fancorps.com/wishlistfoundation/view/25753|187003.jpg

"This is the greatest band in the world"---Ben Harper

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Hide your love Away is pretty darned good, but saying something is better than the Beatles original could be blasphemy. Personally, I think Ed's version has waaaay more soul.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Hide your love Away is pretty darned good, but saying something is better than the Beatles original could be blasphemy. Personally, I think Ed's version has waaaay more soul.

I know...I feel weird saying I like it better then some of the other artists like Dylan, Bruce, etc. How about the 2000 Las Vegas version of "Cant help falling in love".

I like it better then Elvis........
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    I love the cover of Buddy Holly's Everyday on the Lubbock 2000 boot and despite being an admirer of MLB, you can't beat Eddie singing Crown Of Thorns. Also great versions of The Kids Are Alright, Timeless Melody, Picture In A Frame....etc :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
    Man..I totally forgot "Picture In a Frame". Such an awesome version on the DVD.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I agree somewhat with the original poster, with one glaring exception. The song Millworker was written by James Taylor. Here in New England, James Taylor is a hometown hero. He is renowned for writing songs about faces and stories about people's lives. The daily grind. The song makes reference to our state blue-collar lifestyle lived by so many of us here. Although I love Eddie's version and had goosebumps when he played it at the Boston Opera House, nothing can replicate JT's version. Check his Best:Live compilation for proof.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I agree somewhat with the original poster, with one glaring exception. The song Millworker was written by James Taylor. Here in New England, James Taylor is a hometown hero. He is renowned for writing songs about faces and stories about people's lives. The daily grind. The song makes reference to our state blue-collar lifestyle lived by so many of us here. Although I love Eddie's version and had goosebumps when he played it at the Boston Opera House, nothing can replicate JT's version. Check his Best:Live compilation for proof.

I totally understand what your saying....Im from Vermont and live i Mass now. I too was at the performance at the Operah house and like you said it gave me goosebumps. For a song along to give me that reaction...I thought it was incredible. Absolutley nothing against JT at all.
  • Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • My kids keep asking me to play Olympic Platinum. It's so funny and such a shame it is not original PJ work... it sounds so "Ed-like" in terms of just messing around and recording a song...

Love Reign O'er Me though has been my favorite since hearing PJ play it in Chicago 09.
  • My kids keep asking me to play Olympic Platinum. It's so funny and such a shame it is not original PJ work... it sounds so "Ed-like" in terms of just messing around and recording a song...

Love Reign O'er Me though has been my favorite since hearing PJ play it in Chicago 09.

I love almost all PJ originals AND covers, but that songs makes me wretch. Same with LBC. Blech. :sick:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • It's OK
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Rockin In The Free World
    Baba O'riley
    Fuckin' Up
    No way is Baba and Free World better. I love the originals!

I'll agree with most others though. They rocked the shit out of The Real Me.
  • Throw your arms around me

Dock of the bay, only played once

I got you
  • I love almost all PJ originals AND covers, but that songs makes me wretch. Same with LBC. Blech. :sick:
    Are you referring to Olympic Platinum? I think they just love the lyrics about the legs being in unison with a partner that doesn't understand him. That and the Georgia Peach breeze...

I'm not saying it is the best cover at all! It just cracks them up.

If you were actually referring to the Who song.. I'm sorry you're green about it.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Hard Sun
  • TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 536
    I don't think it makes sense to say that PJ is better than say, Daniel Johnston or Dead Moon... better at what?
    Your light made us stars
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    Black Diamond
    Redemption Song
    Society (EV)
    Thunder Road (EV)
    Brain Damage (EV)
    All Along the Watchtower
    Angie
    Street Fighting Man
    The KKK took my Baby Away
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    NS282646 wrote:
    I don't think it makes sense to say that PJ is better than say, Daniel Johnston or Dead Moon... better at what?

wouldn't it be funny if this was actually eddie?
  • I think they do an awesome cover of 25 minutes to go.

Also, I think The Who are awesome and all, but I love PJ's Baba O'Riley. More ooomph.
  • StonerladyStonerlady Posts: 240
    Thinking of Ed singing with the Doors at the HoF I have to admit that - even though I'm a huge fan of Jim - Ed is way better!!!!!