Do you ever feel unhappy when you shouldn't be?

SoLATisASoLATisA Posts: 215
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Cause the world is a beautiful place, and you should hold on for better times.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Throw on some I Am Mine...

"I know i was born and I know I will die...the inbetween is mine...I...AM...MINE!"

In all honesty, it's something that affects so many people. You just need to take a step back and reflect on all that's right in your life. It's rough. I go through those bouts too. Just keep your chin up and be happy you were even given a chance to be here. It's a great ride...just hold on tight and don't let go. Find a hobby or something that can keep your mind occupied.

And a little karaoke can help :lol:
  • I get this too... but i'm female so it's normally just hormones! :lol:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Do you chat with your wife on how you feel? do you do any volunteer work or anything which helps you feel you are contributing to a worthwhile cause? maybe that's something you could look into doing, otherwise maybe even talk to your Doctor, sounds like you could have some anxiety or maybe even some depression which you might need some help with, however just talking about your feelings and thoughts might just help too, good luck with your search! I wish you all the best :)

sorry i might also add that in the past i have felt like this, didnt know why then did feel quite guilty for not appreciating what i did have.. anywho i tried all of the above and for me it made a great difference...
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Sounds like you need this :)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=124278&p=2816686#p2816686

As low lighter stated you may be suffering from a mild depression. I felt the same way years ago, feeling like I shouldn't have anything to be down about, that life was good, I loved and was loved, etc. I was tired all the time. Sleeping up 16 to 20 hours a day half the time and not being able to sleep for days at other times. I gained a lot of weight and generally I tended to focus on the negative too. I went to the doctor after counseling from the pharmacist (I thought that my iron levels were low :roll: ). The doctor diagnosed me with depression and I started treatment.

However, having said all of this, my next question to you is, where do you live? Could you possibly just be suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder? It's a mild for of depression brought on due winter basically. You may want to try a UV light first and see if that helps. Talking is good too.

The most important thing though is to stop watching/reading/surfing the news. I know that sounds kinda crazy, but you need to stop "borrowing grief." Awful shit happens in this world, most of it you cannot do anything about. If you want to be proactive, do what some others have suggested, volunteer locally. Teach someone to read, see about music appreciation mentoring, volunteer to help new immigrants adjust, etc. Try to find something positive, something where you can see what a difference you make in another persons life. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you would like to talk.

Cheers :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My hormones sometimes play tricks on me for a few days a month before my visitor arrives. After all these years, I still fight with moodiness sometimes.

For me, the clue that it's just my hormones is the FACT that there's nothing to be upset about and yet I feel uncomfortable and impatient.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    My hormones sometimes play tricks on me for a few days a month before my visitor arrives. After all these years, I still fight with moodiness sometimes.

For me, the clue that it's just my hormones is the FACT that there's nothing to be upset about and yet I feel uncomfortable and impatient.

But do you ever find reason to feel like that? I do and it annoys the hell out of me even though I KNOW it's just hormones :(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Everyone gets down, everyone. As Eddie says its all just a state of mind.
    The fact that you appreciate all that is good in your life probably keeps this to a minimum and will make you and those you love very happy. Making others happy will make you happy. Thats really the key to personal happiness.
    As we age its the appreciation of life in general not just the good but just everything about life and about still being alive that keeps us happy and brings a sense of peace whatever the battles.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Every.... Day. except when I'm in full swing Manic mode, and to be honest... that's even worse.

good luck bro.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i googled suicide yesterday nuff said
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    yes
    going to the gym and exercising is what seems to help me the most, especially running
    in fact, yesterday was a bad day for me but after going to the gym I felt better
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called city fathers, who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about what's to be done with this eyedclaar?!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    woweee...look who the cat dragged in! ;)

hmmm.....ever consider it might be a chemical thing? as in, perhaps depression? it's totally possible that while your life is good, something in your body is 'off'...thus causing these feelings. worth exploring anyway. that said, depending on the severity and duration, i think we all feel like this from time to time. a lot of horrible and scary shit is going down in the world, all the time...and while there are some things we can do, overall, there is a great sense of powerlessness in there too. personally, i think it's a good thing to feel a bit overwhelmed by the world from time to time, it does help you appreciate how lucky most of us really are.

nice to see you youngster. :)

eyedclaar wrote:
    I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called city fathers, who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about what's to be done with this eyedclaar?!

i like your attitude sir. :D
    honestly, i feel the same. might read as a bit bipolar ;)...but yea....it's all good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I have three thoughts on this:

1. In college 18 years ago, I stopped reading the newspaper and watching the news. I started again after college but then in 2006, stopped again. I knew horrific things were happening in the world and in my town, etc. but I couldn't handle reading about it. It took me into a depression too because I couldn't see anyway to make it stop. My way of dealing with it - don't read it, don't watch it. Be active to make a difference in the things you can. Some people can handle seeing that stuff all the time. I had to admit that I am not one of those people. Bottom line - do what is right for you and helpful to you.

2. Perspective is everything. I volunteered with Katrina and was on the ground with the Red Cross within 3 days of the disaster - I had to do something.... I came back an emotional wreck because I watched all of the general population argue and fit around about petty things. Those people suffered and I listened to their stories and tried to find something positive for them to hang onto - they had their lives. I came back to work and they were arguing about whether to make the header on a web page red or blue... But after a few years, I got drawn back into the wringer of life.. I recently had a stroke and it has been the total wake up call for me. Again, perspective. I know it could have been such a worse situation with really bad lingering issues or death... yet, my kids will have me back to the normal mom in a few months. I have had a lot of time to really think about what is important and what I can control and change... I will. Life will not be the same going forward. Bottom line - if something is really bothering you, do what you can to try to change it. Some people devote their lives to organizations that fight for change, right? I can't stop natural disasters and I hate that they continue, but I did join my local disaster action team with the Red Cross after Katrina so I could give a hug/blanket/reassurance to those in need in my own community.

3. Also, don't be afraid to discuss the anxiety or depression with a doctor. There are mild medications such as Lexapro that can help and it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Bottom line - you may not be able to manage this alone and it is somewhat of a common issue for people.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    solatisa!

you are down because you were away from here too long :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I have survived many bouts of depression over my life time and can totally understand where you are coming from. I have learnt to spot the signs of it leaking back into my psyche and am much more prepared to deal with it.

When I start to feel down and start loosing the desire to include myself in life I try to keep away from anything negative (if possible) I stop listening to and watching the news, and stay away from other negative forces like toxic people. I now don't have many friends as I found that a lot of people like to bring others down to make themselves feel better, which just fueled the darkness in my life. The friends I do have are awesome supportive caring people who I can truely talk to and know that I am being heard.

Solatisa if you or anyone else here ever needs to talk to someone and really be heard PM me.

Peace and love to you all!!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • -Buru--Buru- Posts: 1,292
    I get this too... but i'm female so it's normally just hormones! :lol:

yeah, I was going to say PMS :lol:

But I think we all go through ups and downs
    and if someone says he or she doesn't, then they are fuckin' liars and they are not to be trusted. ;)

I think the problem might be we are never fully content, there is always something missing, or something that could be better, no matter all the good things that we already have. Kind of like a human condition we should try to get away from.

just as sometimes I am sad for no apparent reasons, other days I am happy, also for no apparent reasons (maybe I am bipolar), so i guess trying to find a balance is important.
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I have never had this before.. I have been down and bluesy of course at times in my life... but today for some reason I am despondent and miserable... I am never like this, mostly happy go lucky... and I really have no idea why...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    I have never had this before.. I have been down and bluesy of course at times in my life... but today for some reason I am despondent and miserable... I am never like this, mostly happy go lucky... and I really have no idea why...

(((HUGS))) BD
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161

Give your kids a massive hug when you get home. I hope it is just one day for you, tomorrow is a new day. Sending you a huge hug!!! :wave:
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I always do. I've been putting up with it for years.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    It sounds like depression. You don't have to have a reason to have depression. There are many types. Some are situational, like something bad happned and one gets depressed. That usually goes away.
    But, some of us just have chemicals out of whack and we get depressed for no reason. Mnay people stay this way all the time, ain't that sad!!
    It sounds to me like you have minor depression recurrent. There is major depresssion recurrent, but unless you aren't telling us really how low you get, it sounds like minor. Its simply biological and there is nothing wrong with you, your life, etc. Its just chemicals.
    Doctors can help if it gets to the point you cannot or don't want to live like that anymore.
    The issues with anti-depressants is that there are many of them and often times if one doesn't work, you have to go through trying many until one does work. Not all doctors are willing to go throught that.
    Most also cause sexual dysfunction. So, if you go the doctor route, I would see if they have any new ones that don't intefere with sexual stuff.
    But, honestly it really is just the chemicals that are not being made right in your brain. They really don't know why, yet.
    Good luck to you.
    Save room for dessert!
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    eyedclaar wrote:

teathief.jpg
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    nope never...

i did once feel happy when i shouldnt have... i have to admit i got away with it but Bashful and Doc were not amused.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.