Me going to 3 PJ shows in different cities last year....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
is a source of great embarrassment to my my parents.....
My relatives in Sydney/Toronto cannot believe I went to three and are just amazed and laugh at it.
I heard it all tonight from my mum, such as:
I'm an embarrassment to the family
I've created great shame on her
I make big mistakes in my life
I waste my money
What normal person does this
I'm not normal
My relatives are laughing at me about it
My relatives are talking about me doing something so stupid

Please pray that I don't like lose the plot here.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pumpkinheadpumpkinhead Posts: 570
    Some things we don't speak about? We love you. But then again we are you.
    My relatives in Sydney/Toronto cannot believe I went to three and are just amazed and laugh at it.
    I waste my money
    I'm not normal

2009 Philly Spectrum 10/28
    2010 Jazz Fest*Kansas City*St.Louis*Columbus*Noblesville*Bristow*
    Hartford*Newark*MSG1*MSG2*Dublin*Belfast*HydePark*Nijmegen*
    Berlin*WM3Little Rock*Bridge 1&2
    2011 Eddie Vedder*Chicago*St Louis*San Diego*Long Beach*Los Angles*Santa Barbara
    PJ20 1&2*Canada Tour*Montreal*Toronto 1&2*Ottawa*Hamilton*Winnipeg*
    Saskatoon*Calgary*Edmonton*Vancouver
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I waste my money
    I'm not normal

I think you're normal....but I went to 4 shows in two different countries last tour so maybe I'm not the best person to make that call! ;)

Your mum does seem to be going a bit overboard. Would it be a problem if you travelled to three concerts of different bands? Or is it just because you went to three of the same band in close succession?

Off topic a bit:

Which concerts did you go to last tour? Where were you in Sydney? I was right on the rail in the middle in front of Ed.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    About going to see the same band 3 times.
    Yeah she's just a conservative wog immigrant stuck in the 50's.
    Adel, Melb, Syd.
    I was on Mikes side, on the rail.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I know how people just don't understand. Even if you see them when they play multiple shows in your city, people are like "Didn't you just see them the other night?"

Last year I really wanted to go see them in Melbourne, but it was a bad time for me as it was smack bang in the middle of my exam block. I just figured I would tell these people who don't understand that "I was going to be in Melbourne anyway so I thought why not?"

Good to see you haven't starved yourself thoughts
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • stay the course friend!!!

yer doin nothin wrong. let'em know how passionate you are about the music. its not an obsession its more...hobby, or better than a hobby. its communal and even "spiritual" in that its cathartic and rejuvenating and healthy

or fuck'em and dont let'em know but know it for yerself at least!!

we're all with you

as they sayi in the parlance of our times, man, "rock on!" 8-)
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I know how people just don't understand. Even if you see them when they play multiple shows in your city, people are like "Didn't you just see them the other night?"

Last year I really wanted to go see them in Melbourne, but it was a bad time for me as it was smack bang in the middle of my exam block. I just figured I would tell these people who don't understand that "I was going to be in Melbourne anyway so I thought why not?"

Good to see you haven't starved yourself thoughts

I feel like doing more than starving myself at the moment.
    Seeing that I am the embarrassment to the family.
    Sucks to grow up in my family I tell ya.
    stay the course friend!!!

yer doin nothin wrong. let'em know how passionate you are about the music. its not an obsession its more...hobby, or better than a hobby. its communal and even "spiritual" in that its cathartic and rejuvenating and healthy

or fuck'em and dont let'em know but know it for yerself at least!!

we're all with you

as they sayi in the parlance of our times, man, "rock on!" 8-)

They know I am passionate about music and bands I love.
    But they still don't get it.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I waste my money
    I'm not normal

Wow! talking about focusing on the "Negatives"... :roll:
  • Drove to Chicago from NJ for two chows and caught two more shows in Philly making the one way 90 minute drive twice during the week.

I have also driven to Toronto to see them.

I am hoping to be able to catch them play outside the U.S. one day. Hopefully Italy, Greece or South America.

Traveling should be mandatory for everyone, and if PJ is your impetus for it, good for you.
    http://twitter.com/DarthSpacegrass
    Maple Leaf Gardens - Sep 21 - Downing Stadium, Randall's Island - Sep 28,29 1996 Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29 - Continental Arena - Sep 08 - MSG - Sep 10,11 1998 Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24,25 2000 MSG - Jun 25, 2008 United Center - Aug 23,24 - Philly Spectrum - October 28,31 2009 PruCenter - May 18 - MSG - May 20,21 2010
  • pumpkinheadpumpkinhead Posts: 570
    edited March 2010
    Dude. They will never get it. Stop listening to them. You yourself are the norm. As posted it is cathartic. But they will never understand. I'm in the over 40 crowd and no one gets me. PJ is not just another band. Go your own way. Hell... I live in Florida and I'm traveling to Europe just to see PJ. I'm not the norm and I thank god (if there is one) that I'm me. Tell them if they want crazies, there are some real crazies out there. You're doing great. Keep being true to yourself. Sorry. But true to yourself is what is real. It's what counts. Love and Peace.
    Post edited by pumpkinhead on
    2009 Philly Spectrum 10/28
    2010 Jazz Fest*Kansas City*St.Louis*Columbus*Noblesville*Bristow*
    Hartford*Newark*MSG1*MSG2*Dublin*Belfast*HydePark*Nijmegen*
    Berlin*WM3Little Rock*Bridge 1&2
    2011 Eddie Vedder*Chicago*St Louis*San Diego*Long Beach*Los Angles*Santa Barbara
    PJ20 1&2*Canada Tour*Montreal*Toronto 1&2*Ottawa*Hamilton*Winnipeg*
    Saskatoon*Calgary*Edmonton*Vancouver
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    i did the same thing but I dragged my kids across the country to Cali then took a week off of work and did the 4 shows in Philly. The Mrs. thinks I am crazy but she loved that I included the kids (and her) for a fun trip to the WC. Find someone who is tolerant of your interests is the most important part of a relationship. I tolerate her shoe fetish, she tolerates my PJ fetish :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • yellowporchyellowporch Posts: 510
    i didnt get the same extent of what you got from your family, but last summer my boyfriend and i who live in mass, traveled to baltimore to see eddie solo, my mom and sister thought we were crazy for spending alot of money we saved, but it was totally worth it, we got to meet ed! :D music and art makes me happy, money and routine jobs make "normal people" happy, eh ill take mine anyday. to each his/her own i always say
  • AnarionKingAnarionKing Posts: 170
    I waste my money
    I'm not normal

What would life be without passions and experiences? So don't worry a single bit what people like that think and say, and do what makes you happy.
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    I saw Pearl Jam in the US, Germany, Poland and Denmark so far. Going to Northern Ireland and Germany again this year. and if this is against the norms - i am happy to be abnormal and stick to crowd of the same kind:)
    ***comforting the inflicted, inflicting the comforted..*** :)
    stay happy!
    b.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    They'll get over it and may understand a bit after awhile too. They love you and as time passes they will see PJ is your hobby
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Just tell her it's your money and free time and you can do with it as you wish. You don't have to go on the same vacations she did, and you don't have to have the same outlook on life. If you want to spend your hard earned vacation time and money on PJ shows, go for it: I do. every tour I am good for at least a week off and 5-7 shows. My dad used to roll his eyes at me, but he's given up: I make a respectable living, got married last year, have a kid on the way and am a responsible human being...there's nothing he can complain about. He'd rather do other things with his time and money and that's totally fine.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    hey bro do what i do anytime my mates/fam laugh or mess with you about how many times you have seen pj, i say hey lets play the city/country game you name all the citys an countrys yu have been to in the world, an then i will only name the citys an counrtys i have seen pj in.............. :mrgreen:
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Some things we don't speak about? We love you. But then again we are you.

:mrgreen:

i'm sure my family laughs a bit, but i also know one of my older sisters is a wee bit envious of my connection with the music and fellow fans, and sure...all the travel i've done in general, but the past few years, going off to see pj. *I* have a great time, so whatthefuckever..... 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I waste my money
    I'm not normal

Your family should be happy that you're doing something that makes you happy. They should be glad you're not out hanging on the corner, doing drugs, or hanging at the bars every night.

People I know have to come to learn that going to PJ shows is a passion of mine and they actually think it's cool how devoted we all are and how many friendships have developed from this board and the shows in general.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I waste my money
    I'm not normal

You're abnormal because you spend your hard-earned money to see your favorite band and experience their amazing shows in different settings? Of course, I'm the same monster as you...but how does this qualify as being shameful or disappointing?

Pardon me being harsh, but that seems heartless of your family. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    did they go out to dinner 3 times last year? Go to 3 different bars during the year? or movies? etc....some people might think that is crazy. different people do different things for fun. I probably saw about 40 concerts last year, that's what I do for fun. I buy concert tickets with my extra spending money, not dvds or things like that.
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    1 Pan-asia flight to move from Oz to Europe so I can live amongst the European GA crowds
    7 AIC shows across 4 countries
    5 PJ shows in England, Netherlands, Germany
    1 trans-atlantic flight for 3 shows in Seattle and Vancouver
    Back across the pond to London for a job interview
    Back across the pond to Philly for 4 shows
    And back across the pond to London to save up for the next tour

Met waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many people, can't possibly count how many fans I've talked to this past year, new friends or old. Not to mention the number of people who didn't come up to say hi, a bit freaked out by my ridonkulous look when I go touring :P

Tell that to your parents, and they'll be glad you haven't turned insane like some of us :)
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Hinn wrote:
    1 Pan-asia flight to move from Oz to Europe so I can live amongst the European GA crowds
    7 AIC shows across 4 countries
    5 PJ shows in England, Netherlands, Germany
    1 trans-atlantic flight for 3 shows in Seattle and Vancouver
    Back across the pond to London for a job interview
    Back across the pond to Philly for 4 shows
    And back across the pond to London to save up for the next tour

Met waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many people, can't possibly count how many fans I've talked to this past year, new friends or old. Not to mention the number of people who didn't come up to say hi, a bit freaked out by my ridonkulous look when I go touring :P

Tell that to your parents, and they'll be glad you haven't turned insane like some of us :)

I met you in Denmark in 07 and I'm from California.....see, we all get around!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    Thanks guys/girls.
    Yeah I told them all this but it still doesn't sit well with them.
    Even told them others do it to, and go to more shows than what I've been to.
    My mum was so embarrassed about what others think of me she was a wreck last night and didn't sleep well.
    Now I got home from work and the parents aren't talking to me and I to them, bit of a domestic over this last night.
    Welcome to my messed up family and existence.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Shit, I only wish I had been to more than one show when they were here.

Don't worry, I am the one that my mother never understands me and I am her only daughter!! She couldn't understand why it was that I was going to a concert and I wasn't getting a seat(fixer field at qsac) and that the ticket cost more than if I had gotten a seat. My response to her was, "MUm, this is Pearl Jam. If I wanted to go to a concert and have seat and do polite little golfer claps, then I would go and see Fleetwood Mac!"

Then again I am used to being the black sheep of the family, been that way for 31 years, so I can't much hope of that changing now.

Don't worry dude, in our speshal lil PJ family here....we all get ya!! :D