Spin Magazine Readers' Poll Results

nicksmith33nicksmith33 Posts: 38
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Don't know if this has already been posted or not, sorry if it's a duplicate but I hadn't seen anything about it. Picked up the March 2010 Spin Magazine yesterday (With Courtney Love on the cover) and inside is the results of the poll we recently voted for online. Looks like the PJ fans represented well!

Artist of the Year: Pearl Jam
Best Live Artist: Pearl Jam
Album of the Year: Backspacer
Song of the Year: "Unthought Known"

I saw in another thread the question of the next single, but with a little publicity like this, hard to imagine it wouldn't be Unthought Known.
Again, sorry if this is "old news," but I didn't see it or find it in a search.
Congrats for a successful year to the Best Band in the World!
Hope to see you on the road in my neck of the woods soon!

Edit: Just went to Spin.com and saw the complete results, and oddly enough, The Fixer was also on the list for best song and best video, even though they didn't win.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• with that type of support I think it is time for another album :lol:
    This is Not For You
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    with that type of support I think it is time for another album :lol:
    Or a tour!
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    Couldn't happen to a better band or better album. Hell yeah. Backspacer is awesome.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    That is embarrassing. Only proves that Pearl Jam fans are insecure and feel the need to stand up for Pearl Jam at every moment. Backspacer isn't album of the year, and Unthought Known isn't song of the year. We all know it.

Best live artist should go to a band that actually tours. The choices weren't 1998 Pearl Jam, it was 2009.
  • That is embarrassing. Only proves that Pearl Jam fans are insecure and feel the need to stand up for Pearl Jam at every moment. Backspacer isn't album of the year, and Unthought Known isn't song of the year. We all know it.

Best live artist should go to a band that actually tours. The choices weren't 1998 Pearl Jam, it was 2009.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    That is embarrassing. Only proves that Pearl Jam fans are insecure and feel the need to stand up for Pearl Jam at every moment. Backspacer isn't album of the year, and Unthought Known isn't song of the year. We all know it.

well you definitely don't feel the love do you?
    Some of us do feel the number 1 spots should go to PJ- nothing to do with insecurity- its just loving them and their music
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Never, ever underestimate the power of PJ fans when it comes to internet polls. PJ never loses.

I think we are at a point where magazines like Spin, RS, Billboard and anyone else are going to start restricting how people vote. PJ as much as we love them, probably would not win these polls without the pit monitoring results and hammering the ballot box.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,823
    WOW that's awesome. I think this board had something to do with that though ;)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    pandora wrote:

well you definitely don't feel the love do you?
    Some of us do feel the number 1 spots should go to PJ- nothing to do with insecurity- its just loving them and their music

Don't make the mistake of thinking that this award means anything other than Pearl Jam having a small, rabid fan base who votes hundreds of times each for every online poll they can find. I like Backspacer, but I would never vote The Fixer best song just because PJ is my favorite band. I would vote Lady Gaga artist of the year over Pearl Jam, and I don't even like Lady Gaga. But my brain knows that Lady Gaga's music caught the attention of a lot more people than Pearl Jam. I'm just saying this award would mean something if the general public voted for them, and not just a group of people on this board doing it. We already know the people on this board like Pearl Jam, and we don't need someone from this board voting a hundred times for them. Where is the satisfaction in that? This award means nothing.

What would mean something is if Pearl Jam won one of the categories (like live artist) because then it wouldn't be blatantly obvious that there were a group of people skewing the polls, which again is embarrassing for Pearl Jam and its fans.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

"gay"
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I agree w/ some of the comments made, I feel kind of weird knowing that the 10c completely swayed the results. We should have at least backed the Fixer for song of the year.............that would have been realistic.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    I voted, and I'm not embarassed. The poll was open to the general public. Am I not supposed to vote, because I have different tastes in music than the general public. To me PJ was my favorite artist out of the choices given in the different categories. I am not going to vote on how I think the general public would vote, I vote for myself and my opinions.

Pretty cool that PJ fans can dominate polls though. You have to admit. This power, when used properly can lead to many great and endless opportunities.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    was this one of those polls where you can vote as many times as you want? i hope it wasn't.
  • That is embarrassing. Only proves that Pearl Jam fans are insecure and feel the need to stand up for Pearl Jam at every moment. Backspacer isn't album of the year, and Unthought Known isn't song of the year. We all know it.

gotta say... this is how i felt too... dunno if "insecure" is the word i would choose... but definitely pretty indiscriminate... and its not just because backspacer didnt do it for me personally...

on the brightside, maybe we can expect spin to give PJ frequent positive coverage from now on :lol:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,808
    Don't know if this has already been posted or not, sorry if it's a duplicate but I hadn't seen anything about it. Picked up the March 2010 Spin Magazine yesterday (With Courtney Love on the cover) and inside is the results of the poll we recently voted for online. Looks like the PJ fans represented well!

Artist of the Year: Pearl Jam
    Best Live Artist: Pearl Jam
    Album of the Year: Backspacer
    Song of the Year: "Unthought Known"

I saw in another thread the question of the next single, but with a little publicity like this, hard to imagine it wouldn't be Unthought Known.
    Again, sorry if this is "old news," but I didn't see it or find it in a search.
    Congrats for a successful year to the Best Band in the World!
    Hope to see you on the road in my neck of the woods soon!

Edit: Just went to Spin.com and saw the complete results, and oddly enough, The Fixer was also on the list for best song and best video, even though they didn't win.

yes it was mentioned before. i started a thread about it to get people to vote. but it's alway nice to be reminded again.
    I miss igotid88

why can't people ever let Pearl Jam have some type of success. backspacer is a great album.
    I miss igotid88
  • Hey igotid88, yeah, I saw your post about the voting, just wasn't sure anyone had posted anything about final results. Again, if a repeat, my bad.
    Never really thought that this could be a touchy subject for some. Most I expected was something like, "yeah, great job PJ!" Instead, the negativity of many seeps in. Don't get me wrong, I understand the validity of your point and the swaying of the results. But then again, how many polls are truly a random group of people and if you get down to the scientific side of how studies should be conducted, I don't believe there are any really good studies/polls out there on something as trivial as the opinions of people on music. Of course, those who are passionate about music, have internet access, and give a damn about any of the bands mentioned are going to be the ones voting. So in those terms, no, not a great study determining the true superiority of PJ to all other bands in the world. But again, my point is, nice complement and nice to see a band that obviously so many of us love getting a little love in one of the major rock magazines in the country. And, yes, I know from the old Grammy speech that Ed may not think a whole heck of a lot of it, but I find it hard to believe that nearly 20 years into the career of this band, the entire group would not at least be flattered that so many of us cared enough to throw in our 2 cents and show some love for this band.
    And on a side note, how much complaining would there be if Green Day had edged them out in all these categories? Then there would really be some pissing and moaning!
  • igotid88 wrote:

why can't people ever let Pearl Jam have some type of success. backspacer is a great album.
    :| this "honor" is SO FAR from any sort of quantifiable "success" for PJ

if people want to consider this a personal victory for "fanbase with most spare time" then by all means

but i dont think the cause for alarm by bootlegger has anything to do with damaged indie street cred

• And on a side note, how much complaining would there be if Green Day had edged them out in all these categories? Then there would really be some pissing and moaning!
    naw... i would expect that from a magazine as shitty as spin :twisted:

igotid88 wrote:

:| this "honor" is SO FAR from any sort of quantifiable "success" for PJ

if people want to consider this a personal victory for "fanbase with most spare time" then by all means

but i dont think the cause for alarm by bootlegger has anything to do with damaged indie street cred

yea but it's not jut this. it just seems people want an excuse to bash the guys.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:
    yea but it's not jut this. it just seems people want an excuse to bash the guys.
    i think the natives are just getting restless... for those of us that were underwhelmed with S/T and backspacer, its been an awful long time without much to show for it (a few good singles and a great solo album/tour from ed)... not even the same consistency with the live touring that we've grown accustomed to... people will look past it as usual when new info is released, but for the time being i only expect the whining and bashing to get worse

sorry to get off topic... hooray for PJ :mrgreen:

• KO282453 wrote:

"gay"
    yet completely true.
    igotid88 wrote:

I don't mean to bash Pearl Jam in this case. Backspacer is a solid and somewhat relevant album, and that is rare for a band 25 years into its career. Well, I guess a band being around 25 years is rare. But when a song that wasn't even a single in 2009 (Unthought Known) is voted best song, there is something terribly wrong with the voting. Unless you bought Backspacer, you've never heard Unthought Known.

I want Pearl Jam to win Grammy's, I want Eddie to win Oscars (for best song). I wish Pearl Jam could sell out football stadiums again. I wish they sold 1,000,000 records again. Indie cred is for punks who want to feel like they are holding a secret.