$41,000 NES Game !

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Check your attics and basements people !!

Rare Nintendo game is $40,000 windfall

by Mike Smith

Buzz up!

February 26 8:46 P.M.
Stadium Events

This rare game sold for $41,300.

Impressed by the story of the North Carolina eBay seller who stumbled upon an ultra-rare, $13,000 Nintendo game? So were we -- and so was Kansas reader Dave, who headed for his basement to see if there was video game gold lurking down there.

"We had quite a collection (185+ games) that has sat in our basement for over 20 years," Dave told Y! Games. "The games were on a list to be brought to Goodwill – in fact, within a month, Goodwill was going to have them."

To his astonishment, not only did he find a copy of the same game that just fetched over $13,000 on eBay -- highly sought-after collector's item Stadium Events -- it was in perfect condition, right down to the original shrinkwrapping and Richard Gordman pricetag. (A mere $29.99, if you're wondering.)

"Now I’m not much of a collector, but I know that having a factory seal is good," he said.

But he's only just now finding out quite how good.

As it turns out, the game's unopened condition makes Dave's copy of Stadium Events three times more valuable: he sold it on auction site eBay for a breathtaking $41,300. It's thought to be one of only two shrinkwrapped copies of the game still in existence.

Why had he never unwrapped it? He couldn’t see the point. Stadium Events needed a special floor mat controller to play, and Dave couldn't find one.

"The pads weren't available when we went to purchase it," he said. "We never got around to returning the game...lucky us!"

"Lucky us" indeed. Nintendo bought the rights to the floor mat controller in 1988, and recalled the few copies of Stadium Events that reached retailers. Fewer than 200 games are thought to have escaped destruction, and fewer than 20 are thought to still exist. Dave's procrastination earned him a $41,270 profit, which he and his wife plan to invest.

"After taxes and tithing, the rest of our part will be going to a retirement account that has been decimated by the dot-com bomb, 9/11, and the recent market problems. Not very sexy, but needed." He's also going to auction off the rest of his Nintendo paraphernalia.

If that's inspired you to comb your basement, attic, or other dark corners for valuable 1980s video game memorabilia, don't underestimate the demand for even the most everyday of Nintendo collectibles -- this box of Nintendo breakfast cereal sold on eBay last week for over $200. And if you think you've happened on a valuable game, check it against the list here to avoid disappointment.
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fuck. when i was a kid a kid down the street had that game. i use to eat the nintendo cereal. it was half mario and half zelda. not tasty but it was cool. in the 90's my mom sold most of my nintendo games and she sold mt power glove, my atari 2600 and all 30 games. when i see stories like this, i get so mad.
    I'll be back
  • fuck. when i was a kid a kid down the street had that game. i use to eat the nintendo cereal. it was half mario and half zelda. not tasty but it was cool. in the 90's my mom sold most of my nintendo games and she sold mt power glove, my atari 2600 and all 30 games. when i see stories like this, i get so mad.

My Mom was the same way !

If it wasn't nailed down it got thrown out :lol:

Funny part is the dude buying the game for 40 grand just wants it and will never open it..these collectors make me laugh

• philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    fuck. when i was a kid a kid down the street had that game. i use to eat the nintendo cereal. it was half mario and half zelda. not tasty but it was cool. in the 90's my mom sold most of my nintendo games and she sold mt power glove, my atari 2600 and all 30 games. when i see stories like this, i get so mad.

My Mom was the same way !

If it wasn't nailed down it got thrown out :lol:

Funny part is the dude buying the game for 40 grand just wants it and will never open it..these collectors make me laugh

My father hated collectors not using things as they are meant to be used. When I was a kid around 13 he came home one daqy with a promo single in red vinyl of Time by Pink Floyd which was still sealed. As a kid I didnt think about the price and asked if I could play it, he gave it to me and said to put it on. It sounded amazing and we sat and listened to it together. Once it had finished and we had played it a few times he turned to me and said "oh by the way son when that was sealed it worth about £1000" :o

He told me to never keep a record unplayed and to enjoy it rather than hord it and I live by that rule.

Just thought I would share
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I have an NES system in my room with about 15 games. I think the box it came in is still over my dad's house with the Duck Hunt gun and the Power Pad for World Class Track Meet. Only problem is the sytem blinks purple and black when I turn it on. Got it going a few years ago but not consistently.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    After taxes and tithing ...

Tithing ... really?

PRAISE THE LORD FOR NINTENDO!!!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • 41 G's is crazy money.

BUT I can see how people will pay that.

i started collecting nintendo games in 2000, well before mega man's and bubble bobble sold for a 100 bucks each. I was buying most games at 5 bucks a pop, because they were just pawn shop fodder to most. i stocked up and 3 years later, it was all the rage to have these things and the prices were more that PS3 games. I actually took my 90+ games and system to Nintendo headquarters near me and got every one of them refurbished. the system and the game work perfectly. i should put up a list of games I have. i love playing those old things. I havent bought one in years, they are down in my storage, i should bust them out. i know i dont have stadium events though, but i do have some rares.

I like watching this guy on youtube.the angry video game nerd, he hilariously reviews many of our old favourite NES games

here is HIS collection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrVVO1coh08
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    a sealed copy is over $101,000 on ebay right now.....wow
    HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :shock: :o :shock:

My house isn't worth what the bids are up to on this thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stadium-Events-Nes- ... 19ba493025

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    youngster wrote:

Me fail english? That's unpossible!
    "This is the Stadium Events Games NTSC which is still sealed inside the plastic wrap. In my posession here is probably the one and last SEAL brand new Stadium Events game on Earth. I nearly crap in my pants when i found out what this is worth and the rarity of this item. Well you big time collectors i think this is what you guys are waiting for and looking for. Please do not email me with Low Ball offers. Good bidding on this game and may the best bidder wins."
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    youngster wrote:

THis person is a complete ass. Just read the description. And half a mill, come the hell on. Bad enough 41Gs, but half a mill is insane. Gotta be Nintendo Corporate coughing up that kind of scratch!
    Rygar wrote:
    youngster wrote:

Me fail english? That's unpossible!
    "This is the Stadium Events Games NTSC which is still sealed inside the plastic wrap. In my posession here is probably the one and last SEAL brand new Stadium Events game on Earth. I nearly crap in my pants when i found out what this is worth and the rarity of this item. Well you big time collectors i think this is what you guys are waiting for and looking for. Please do not email me with Low Ball offers. Good bidding on this game and may the best bidder wins."

There will be just another dumb bastard with a pocket full of cash when this is over.
    now it's at $700,100. Man rich fuckers are dumb. What do you do with something like this? You can't open it or the value instantly drops. Hope he cleared space on the mantle.

youngster wrote:
    now it's at $700,100. Man rich fuckers are dumb. What do you do with something like this? You can't open it or the value instantly drops. Hope he cleared space on the mantle.
    Smells fishy.
    Rygar wrote:
    youngster wrote:
    Smells fishy.

I agree. I don't see how it could go for that much. One goes for $41,000 and then 3 days later another goes for a million. Definitely fishy.
  • $6 shipping kills the deal.

:lol:
  • Rygar wrote:
    youngster wrote:
    Smells fishy.

I agree. I don't see how it could go for that much. One goes for $41,000 and then 3 days later another goes for a million. Definitely fishy.

Probably just coincidence, but they were both in North Carolina as well.
    Probably just coincidence, but they were both in North Carolina as well.

It's probably some redneck who got wind of it, posted pics of it to sell on Ebay, and is having his buddies keep bidding. But if it is a fluke, Ebay gets a percentage of the sale. And that would be one big sale.
    $6 shipping kills the deal.

:lol:
    hahahaha!
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    "almost crapped my pants when i found out how much it was worth."

i'd be a little more formal in an auction that is going for close to a million dollars.

shady & fishy!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    $800,000!!!!!!!!!!!

This cant be legit

Probably some kid on Daddy's account fuckin around

At least i hope....

If it is legit, we will be reading it all over the internet tomorrow.

Hells Yeah !!

To think i sold my sealed copy at a garage sale for 2 cheetos and a capri sun...

Hells Yeah !!

To think i sold my sealed copy at a garage sale for 2 cheetos and a capri sun...

Shit, I sold my Atari 2600 with around 80 games for 20 bucks at a garage sale. I'd do anything to have that thing back.

Hells Yeah !!

Shit, I sold my Atari 2600 with around 80 games for 20 bucks at a garage sale. I'd do anything to have that thing back.

Doh!

I recently got this for Christmas

4a1b8d952d9cc0effe0dadcc0.jpg

40 games built in

Doh!

40 games built in

Oh my!! I'd be back to having sore palms again!!!

Doh!

40 games built in

Oh my!! I'd be back to having sore palms again!!!

I know !

You forget as a kid it didn't even bother ya much

I used to play for hours before it bothered me now its about 10 mins :(

Big hoax. Nothing on Yahoo.com about is this morning.