Need a break from winter

LauriLauri Posts: 748
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I love the weather from about December through most of February. In December, it's fun to wear warm coats and hats and play in the snow. In January and early February, it's freezing cold and bright sunny. I love that. But now we are getting into the cold, cloudy, rainy crap part of winter. The lack of snow this year has ruled out snowshoeing and cross skiing and things that get you out and about. I'm losing it!

I wish I could go somewhere were I could just take a break and ride my bike and run and get outdoors. I even just tried to ride my bike to work the other day as I do in the other seasons, and it was so cold and damp I just felt frozen to the bone for the rest of the day!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I have to agree, by the end of February I'm done with WINTER !!! But, here in Ohio I have about (2) more months to go :( And there is more snow coming down. I was watching the weather channel re: the tsunami in Hawaii and of course - beautiful blue skies and blue water - I wish I was there !!
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • totally ready after this years record snowfall in philly - bring the heat
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    January - April is a long stretch of just really drab weather and it gets old as hell. Bring on the Spring time!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Come to Perth...lol
  • Winter really gets OLD! I couldn't take it any longer, so I moved.

I highly recommend moving here to Southern California. We get rain in the winter, but snow only falls in the mountains. From my window, I can see snow on Mount Wilson and the lovely tropical palm trees that line the city streets here in my neighbourhood. The only thing about the sky that bothers me is the aerial spraying campaign of man made 'clouds' that darken our days. Very sinister....

The weather is glorious, though!
    mice25.jpg
    mice26.jpg
    mice27.jpg

Rents are low, the subway and bus are cheap and convenient!
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    I dont think any of you realize how short MY growing season is... a 4 inch carrot is a big deal!!!

Southwest Wyoming, some would say Hell. I say its home.

DC, I would trade you your April for mine and throw in half of May to sweeten the deal. We have to make spring runs to SLC and Ogden just to convince ourselves that warm weather is just a few months or 100 miles away!!!

Did you get U2 or DMB tix?
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    edited March 2010
    I'm ready for spring
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I finally moved away from the cold winters and I've found it really DOES make a difference for my mood. Long, cold winters can be soooo depressing.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    I can't ***W A I T*** for Winter!!!... :lol:
  • Winter really gets OLD! I couldn't take it any longer, so I moved.

I highly recommend moving here to Southern California. We get rain in the winter, but snow only falls in the mountains. From my window, I can see snow on Mount Wilson and the lovely tropical palm trees that line the city streets here in my neighbourhood. The only thing about the sky that bothers me is the aerial spraying campaign of man made 'clouds' that darken our days. Very sinister....

mice25.jpg
    mice26.jpg
    mice27.jpg

Need a roommate? :D
    Winter really gets OLD! I couldn't take it any longer, so I moved.

mice25.jpg
    mice26.jpg
    mice27.jpg

Need a roommate? :D

Whoa!...Travis is "IN" there!.....lol ;)
  • Its beautiful here today, snow is melting at a rapid pace, the sun is shining....I can feel spring coming, and I cant wait :)
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Its beautiful here today, snow is melting at a rapid pace, the sun is shining....I can feel spring coming, and I cant wait :)

i know, how nice is it out today, I went out without a jacket and my window is open

take a deep breath and smell spring, it's coming
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I love the smell of melting snow- miss that. We too moved south almost 20 years ago cause hubby was in a foul mood by this time of year. Winter is soooo long in WI- I remember snow ice into April & May. Georgia weather is beautiful but its been a cold long winter here this year. The crocus and daffs are just up now and the trees just starting to bud. Won't be long now
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I dont think any of you realize how short MY growing season is... a 4 inch carrot is a big deal!!!

Southwest Wyoming, some would say Hell. I say its home.

DC, I would trade you your April for mine and throw in half of May to sweeten the deal. We have to make spring runs to SLC and Ogden just to convince ourselves that warm weather is just a few months or 100 miles away!!!

Did you get U2 or DMB tix?

Wyoming is a land unlike any other when it comes to weather. I've learned to expect anything in Wyoming. During the winter, the highways in Wyoming get straight up dangerous. My dad is a trucker, he hauls petroleum and currently makes runs out to Tonepah, NV, but when he used to make runs through Wyoming they always had the potential of becoming brutal in the winter. To this day he refers to Wyoming as a driving state as "a son of a bitch". I couldn't agree more. It's absolutely beautiful though, particularly because it's so desolate. The wide open landscape of the state is great.

No tickets for each show. Don't know much DMB so I wouldn't buy a ticket, and I'm not a U2 fan so I passed on that one as well though. Rice Eccles Stadium (where U2 will be playing) is right near my work. No doubt I'll be getting stuck in major traffic that night...is it on a weekday?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • pandora wrote:
    I love the smell of melting snow- miss that. We too moved south almost 20 years ago cause hubby was in a foul mood by this time of year. Winter is soooo long in WI- I remember snow ice into April & May. Georgia weather is beautiful but its been a cold long winter here this year. The crocus and daffs are just up now and the trees just starting to bud. Won't be long now
    You are SO not missing much up here in WI... The winters have gotten much more mild the last few years and definitely not as much snow as I can remember growing up with. But, I will take our spring/summer/falls over any other state..... besides Washington :cry:
  • Need a roommate? :D

I don't have the temperament to live with other adults, but I can certainly use the bonus money I'd receive for referring a new tenant with good credit. Dear fans, please PM me. Or if you are not a member, please e-mail me at: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:HeyMarley@ca.rr.com">HeyMarley@ca.rr.com</a><!-- e -->
    Here is a copy & paste from an earlier post:

My rent was lowered from $900 to $850, all utilities included. But new tenants can rent for $795 with all utilities! One month freeeeee!!!!!! Free wi-fi must be up and running by now. Ours is the nicest little apartment building on the block. It's near the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and Normandie Avenue. It's 2 blocks from the subway. It's a little brick 4 storey, 48 units, was originally a hotel when it was built 90 years ago. It has a fun tiny, ancient elevator.

Most of the flats are studios, meaning no bedroom. But the place has 9 foot ceilings, a large separate kitchen/dining room, shower and deep, old bathtub, dressing room with built ins, 3 closets, plush carpets. Most units are rented by young adults, yet the place is deliciously quiet and tranquil. All non-dog pets are welcomed. I have pet mice, someone has a gorgeous cockatoo. There are washers and dryers. The place is so safe that folks leave their bikes in the basement.http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1622047089.html Some flats have ancient kitchen cabinets like the one pictured. Others have brand new, modern ones. Some have an exposed brick wall in the main room.

Anyone else looking to relocate or downsize? Help a sister out!

Love,
    Brynne
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    You are SO not missing much up here in WI... The winters have gotten much more mild the last few years and definitely not as much snow as I can remember growing up with. But, I will take our spring/summer/falls over any other state..... besides Washington :cry:
    A little happy yankee memory- We took the kids, then preschool, south by car from WI to the panhandle leaving behind weather at its dreariest. They slept through the night ride to awaken shortly after sunrise in Alabama in springtime. You would have thought from the ouuu's and ahhh's ( I can still here their little voices) that they were in OZ as Wizard of. So beautifully green with tons of azaleas blooming and flowering trees. It was like arriving in a storybook. Our springs here in GA just gorgeous too and fall my favorite is nice without the nip of the north though. The longer you live south though the more whimpy you are about cold.
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I really enjoy the winter in general, but the lack of snow in new england this year was really depressing, and for weeks we've been in this "no man's land" temperature of like 35-40 degrees (f). I think it's just like a big combo of boredom and not being able to take any time off or go anywhere at the time of year when everyone you know is off in Mexico or something. I haven't been on a real "vacation" in 8 years!