Buying an acoustic?

Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Never owned an acoustic, but suddenly feel the urge to go out and get one. My budget is a modest £150 or $300.
Can anyone recomend a good guitar in this price range? I'm only gonna' be playing the blues and such in my living room, but would like the best I can get for my money. Not averse to buying secondhand, just need some help???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pawn shop is the only way to go. Electric Acoustic is the best.
    2009 Philly Spectrum 10/28
    2010 Jazz Fest*Kansas City*St.Louis*Columbus*Noblesville*Bristow*
    Hartford*Newark*MSG1*MSG2*Dublin*Belfast*HydePark*Nijmegen*
    Berlin*WM3Little Rock*Bridge 1&2
    2011 Eddie Vedder*Chicago*St Louis*San Diego*Long Beach*Los Angles*Santa Barbara
    PJ20 1&2*Canada Tour*Montreal*Toronto 1&2*Ottawa*Hamilton*Winnipeg*
    Saskatoon*Calgary*Edmonton*Vancouver
  • PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    Pawn shop is the only way to go. Electric Acoustic is the best.

I don't understand why an electro acoustic would be the best...

Anyway, for your budget you should go for a second hand Tanglewood if you can find one.
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Pontikas wrote:
    Pawn shop is the only way to go. Electric Acoustic is the best.

I don't understand why an electro acoustic would be the best...

Anyway, for your budget you should go for a second hand Tanglewood if you can find one.

Agreed. One of my guitars is a cheap Tanglewood and it's a great guitar, especially for the money!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Art and Lutherie.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • If you're only planning on playing in your living room, then I would recommend NOT to get an electric acoustic, as you pay more for the electronics. Aside from that, I would go to your local music store and just play all of the guitars in your price range. You will get a pretty solid opinion formed just based on feel and sound. Definitely check out the used guitars they have as well, as you will be sure to get a better guitar for the money, as long as you don't mind buying used.
  • PRLJM1PRLJM1 Posts: 584
    There's a lot of great acoustics out there in that price range. Check out the Epiphone Dove or Hummingbird. I have played both and they sound great. Every guitar is different, you really should go to your local guitar shop and try out a bunch. It comes down to what really fits you well as far sound/tone and how it feels to you.
    Summerfest '95,Alpine '98,Ice Bowl(Alpine'00),Alpine'03,Chicago'06,Summerfest(x2)'06,Riverside Theater '08(EV),ChicagoII '09, PJ20-Alpine Valley 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Voodoo Fest '13 (New Orleans), Milwaukee '14, Wrigley 1,2 '16
  • My first guitar was a Cort, from the Earth series. It's a really great instrument to begin playing with, nice sound and not too crazy expensive. Definitely check those out, anything by Cort is my recommendation.
    The oceans made me, but who came up with love?

"You put some udder cream on that shit?" ~EV 5/17/10
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    Semi-Acoustic is the way to go...verisitile, also make sure it has a cut-away at the base of the fret board, as frets 15-17 are a whole lot easier to reach that way...also neck strength/string tension watch out for my mate found out the hard way...look for low/even action down the whole fret board bridge area...mine is a fender hotrod, just under 200pounds sterling aprox. $300 was worth it...has no scratch guard, but has excellent machine heads, a low action, cut-away design and I feel it was worth every penny...even though it's made in China
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • Art and Lutherie.

Agreed, again. We pretty much always do though, well except on the Strat front! But I won't hold that against you.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/