Options

Surprising/quirky covers

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited February 2010 in Other Music
My friend gave me a disc yesterday with Cake's cover of 'I will survive' as well as nonpoint doing 'in the air tonight'.....both very cool renditions of songs you wouldn't necessarily expect to hear. I came across the Twilight Singers doing 'When Doves Cry' this morning and its pretty good.

So, what are some other surprising covers or off-the-wall or obscure songs everybody enjoys?
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    My friend gave me a disc yesterday with Cake's cover of 'I will survive' as well as nonpoint doing 'in the air tonight'.....both very cool renditions of songs you wouldn't necessarily expect to hear. I came across the Twilight Singers doing 'When Doves Cry' this morning and its pretty good.

So, what are some other surprising covers or off-the-wall or obscure songs everybody enjoys?

i've got a really good version of Soul Asylum doing 'Sexual Healing'
    And there is this band called Coffee & Tea -- they do 'If you Leave me now' by Chicago, and it is sexy-as-fuck.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Foo Fighters - Darlin' Nikki (Prince cover)
    Biffy Clyro - Killing in the Name (RATM cover)
    Face to Face - Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)
    Faith No More - War Pigs (Black Sabbath) not really suprising just flat out amazing
    any Me First & the Gimme Gimmes song
  • Options
    Cake does a few awesome covers with their uniquely quirky brand of rock n roll.

I will Survive
    Strangers in the Night
    Ruby, Don't take your love to town
    Never Never gonna give you up
    Mahna Mahna (the only cover of a Muppets song Ive ever come across)
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Petra Haden does some great covers on her own, all multitracked acapella.

Journey ~ Don't Stop Believin'
    The Who ~ The Who Sell Out (Covered the whole album)

And then she has an album with Bill Frissel that has an amazing cover of Tom Waits' I Don't Want to Grow Up
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball