A Quick One, While He's Away...

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Watching the Immagine in Cornice DVD again, I found myself watching the bonus footage of Ed and My Morning Jacket performing the Pete Townshend opus "A Quick One, While He's Away" like 3 times. I've probably watched this about 100 times and love it more with every viewing.

Anybody else think this kicks major ass?

Just thought I'd present a topic today in the hopes of distracting the board from the monotony of bitching about tour dates, philly boots, and the like.

We're all forgiven!!!!!
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Watching the Immagine in Cornice DVD again, I found myself watching the bonus footage of Ed and My Morning Jacket performing the Pete Townshend opus "A Quick One, While He's Away" like 3 times. I've probably watched this about 100 times and love it more with every viewing.

Just thought I'd present a topic today in the hopes of distracting the board from the monotony of bitching about tour dates, philly boots, and the like.

We're all forgiven!!!!!
    I am getting sick and fucking tired, of waiting for tour dates!!!!

Where the fuck are the Philly boots????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,006
    eddies version is fab but if you want to be spellbound watch the original Who version from the rock and roll circus by rolling stones. unreal.

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • I absolutely love that DVD. I can watch it and be heaven for days. I can also watch the old Pink Pop DVD and be just as happy. I just love watching live performances.

Speedy - I can't describe the yearning I have for the Philly shows to be released or for PJ to perform a live show for me everyday :). It's stronger than anything I have ever felt. I keep listening to unofficial boots of less than ideal quality but it's holding me over a bit. I had a stroke at the end of January and have at least another month of being home before I can return to work and I can't tell you how much I would love to be sitting here watching the Philly shows :). I watch a UPS or FedEx truck drive by and I'm hoping Ed's going to hop out and come visit me to help my recovery. Due to the finances associated with having a stroke.. I'm hopeful the US tour dates (if any) are for late fall. There's no way I could physically or financially attend anything in the next several months.

ps. Don't know if you remember meeting me in the courtyard at Philly at the pre-party but I won't forget you !! :)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,704
    edited February 2010
    eboweddie wrote:
    eddies version is fab but if you want to be spellbound watch the original Who version from the rock and roll circus by rolling stones. unreal.
    :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1SHiks ... re=related

Just watch Moon...spellbinding is a good word
    Post edited by Poncier on
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Obviously the Who performing their own song is better than Ed and MMJ. Live at Leeds version is outstanding as well.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • eboweddie wrote:

it on the who's the kids are alright dvd also. fucking killer! the who blew the stones off the stage that night. the stones wouldnt even put out a bunch of songs they played that night because they were flippin awful.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Also, during 2006, when Ed came out for It Makes No Difference with MMJ, that was awesome too. We might never again see a PJ opener quite like the boys from Louisville. Ed seemed to really enjoy having these guys on tour in 06.
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,006
    i can see why eddie loves the who. ed was just 2 when this was recorded. imagine growing up and watching that performance. the harmony between the 4 of then is amazing. patience with the philly boots. if they were just going to be normal bootlegs they would have been released ages ago. something speccial is in store. thats the delay. patience lads,

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,988
    Also, during 2006, when Ed came out for It Makes No Difference with MMJ, that was awesome too. We might never again see a PJ opener quite like the boys from Louisville. Ed seemed to really enjoy having these guys on tour in 06.

That's because MMJ is the best live act out there today besides PJ. The torch - when it's time to be passed - will be passed well.

The closest they're coming to me right now is DC, and that's BS. I need some MMJ viewing!
  • Also, during 2006, when Ed came out for It Makes No Difference with MMJ, that was awesome too. We might never again see a PJ opener quite like the boys from Louisville. Ed seemed to really enjoy having these guys on tour in 06.

That's because MMJ is the best live act out there today besides PJ. The torch - when it's time to be passed - will be passed well.

The closest they're coming to me right now is DC, and that's BS. I need some MMJ viewing!
    Couldn't agree more. Join us for a few nights at Great Woods this summer as they play with the one and only Mr. Thomas Earl Petty! Word is MMJ will play their own show during the off day in between.
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Hey what a coincidence....I considered using your post title for a thread of my own on AET.... :lol:
  • Watching the Immagine in Cornice DVD again, I found myself watching the bonus footage of Ed and My Morning Jacket performing the Pete Townshend opus "A Quick One, While He's Away" like 3 times. I've probably watched this about 100 times and love it more with every viewing.

We're all forgiven!!!!!

Yeah it's an awesome cover man!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    eboweddie wrote:

it on the who's the kids are alright dvd also. fucking killer! the who blew the stones off the stage that night. the stones wouldnt even put out a bunch of songs they played that night because they were flippin awful.

Yep - rumors were that the Who's strong performance, in contrast to the Stones, was one of the reasons RnR Circus was scrapped for so many years.
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • eboweddie wrote:
    Agreed. Eds version is good, but the Who from Rock n' Roll circus is one of the best rock performances of all time.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Absolutely gr8 version...in fact, as a Who fan, I think Ed's cover w/ MMJ is as good...I am not a fan of Green Day's version, although you can tell they love the Who also and did the song justice. Ed messes up a few lines, but the spirit in which these cats rock it out more than makes up for it, right?

Ed and MMJ obviously dig the tune and the Rock n Roll Circus had to be an inspiration...the Leeds version is a tad different...

I once heard that the repetitive "cello" part was the Who's way of protesting that they weren't given cello players for that piece of the song - hilarious

I'd also say that this tune, Immortality and Lukin are the highlights of the "Immagine" disc...(for me)

Awesome song and I 100% agree whole-heartedly it kicks ass!

And coupled with Ed doin' "Under Pressure" with Ben in SD this past tour, yet another reason to head in early and catch the opener!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Thanks for the power of suggestion. Just popped in the Kids version. AMAZING !!!
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,988
    Also, during 2006, when Ed came out for It Makes No Difference with MMJ, that was awesome too. We might never again see a PJ opener quite like the boys from Louisville. Ed seemed to really enjoy having these guys on tour in 06.

Couldn't agree more. Join us for a few nights at Great Woods this summer as they play with the one and only Mr. Thomas Earl Petty! Word is MMJ will play their own show during the off day in between.

Yeah, but that's the thing...I want 2-2 1/2(possibly 3) hours of pure MMJ!
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    eboweddie wrote:
    The Who on the 'Rock and Roll Circus' was a preview of the greatness of this band. This was before 'Tommy'... before 'Who's Next' and showcases the power and energy that became the benchmark of what live rock performances should be. A truely performace for the ages.
    Also, 'The Dirty Mac' (John Lennon, Eric clapton, Keith Richards (bass) and Mitch Mitchell) performing 'Yer Blues'... spec-fucking-tacular.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • torino091906-05.jpg
  • torino091906-03.jpg
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594

COMPLETELY!!
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    I have the privilege of being able to say I was at 3 of the 5 Italy shows. I got to see both, "A Quick One," and "It Makes No Difference." Two nights I'll never forget.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• Yes a great cover!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Love, Love, Love MMJ. "Evil Urges" buy it!

I really enjoyed the first night of Camden. Wished I had a copy of it, but I listen to Immagine version all the time.

Anybody for an early state college rooooll call subject? :mrgreen:
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Gibson wrote:
    "It Makes No Difference."

that one kicked major ass too!!!
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • eboweddie wrote:

+1.
    If you want to hear a disappointing version, check out Green Day's.
    "I wanna rock and roll all night and PART OF every day"