record stores/stuff to do in Seattle/Portland

mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
edited February 2010 in The Porch
hey everyone---

my wife & i are head to the pacific northwest next weekend. we're thinking of moving to either Seattle or Portland (also considering Denver & Nashville) once we're done w/ school. anyway...aside from Easy Street & the EMP, we're not too familiar with any record stores & fun music-related things to do up there. we'd love some suggestions since i know a lot of you guys live in the area. so...where should we go? thanks in advance for your help!!

Matt
I LOVE MUSIC.
www.cluthelee.com
www.cluthe.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Posts: 1,597
    Cool records stores there's easy street in queen anne and also in West Seattle, Sonic Boom on Capitol Hill and in Ballard. Singles going Steady on 2nd ave by the crocidile downtown is the punk rock record store. Georgetown Records is cool they lots of rad comics too. Lot's of great music venues too check out the stranger online to get an idea of whats going on. http://lineout.thestranger.com/blogs/lineout/
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    Starbucks. Not only do they have a record label; but I hear they make a great cup of coffee.

Seriously though, no idea. Have fun out there though!
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• When you get to Seattle, go to Vivace coffee. Hands down the best latte I've ever had in my life.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Posts: 1,597
    and try to stay away from starbucks. after all they sold us out with selling the supersonics.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    You're moving!!!! :o

hands down Seattle is the most beautiful city i've ever seem! and DC a close second, i can't stand the winter so that's why i'm trapped here in Florida if not i would be in Seattle or DC.

Good luck bro be prepare to fall in love with the city!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • make sure to go to the EMP in seattle center. its a tourist thing to do, but its definitely an enjoyable experience. spend a few minutes at the museum of science fiction...admission is free with your ticket to the emp.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    arq wrote:

hands down Seattle is the most beautiful city i've ever seem! and DC a close second, i can't stand the winter so that's why i'm trapped here in Florida if not i would be in Seattle or DC.

first off, thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! keep them coming! we're going to spend about 3-4 days in Portland, then we're making our way to Seattle for another 3-4 days. we can't wait!!

Jose---my wife still has 2 years in grad school, so we won't move until she's finished. but we figured we should start visiting these cities now b/c our vacation days are seriously limited.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    mfc2006 wrote:
    arq wrote:

first off, thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! keep them coming! we're going to spend about 3-4 days in Portland, then we're making our way to Seattle for another 3-4 days. we can't wait!!

Jose---my wife still has 2 years in grad school, so we won't move until she's finished. but we figured we should start visiting these cities now b/c our vacation days are seriously limited.

Oooh i thought it was a matter of months! well be prepare to fall in love with Seattle! Good luck my friend! have a nice vacation :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • I just came back from Seattle for a visit last month. Hands down the greenest, most beautiful city I've ever seen (never been to Europe or Canada). I would live in Seattle no problem, that is, if I weren't such a miserable New Englander.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Wow... another fan moving to portland or seattle!

Seattle is soooooo beautiful.... we fell in love with it when we visited there in 2003. But ahh... too much rain... and high cost of living there.

MAke sure to visit Croc Cafe! love that place...check out what bands would be playing on the days you visit there...

portland... ask urs. She took great pictures there... we were talking about the possibility of moving to Oregon... but like Seattle, it rains rains rains... dunno if i could handle that...though i love how liberal it seems, beautiful land, diverse people with art/music tastes that would be good for the kids..... but it's still on the table....

good luck! :D
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • if you're looking for life changing record shops other than the great Easy Street in Seattle then check out-

Sonic Boom Records, 2 locations Capitol Hill & Ballard

Bop Street Records, Ballard (I've heard from the owner that Radiohead visited there years ago & told him that
    it was the greatest vinyl shop they've ever been to)

Wall of Sound, Capitol Hill

Singles Going Steady, Belltown

Everyday Music, Portland & Seattle (just moved again, might not be open yet)

Silver Platters, Queen Anne, North Seattle

Holy Cow & Rubato Records, Downtown & Wes C. Addle (right across from Easy Street)
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • oh I forgot Golden Oldies in Wallingford & Neptune Records in U-Dub district
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • I grew up in Seattle (Bainbride Island actually) and now live in Portland.

Whenever I head up to Seattle I try and hit EMP. Love it.

Not sure if it's still there but the Sub Pop record store is/was right next door to the Moore Theatre, and is always great for record shopping. If my memory serves me well, both the Moore and Sub Pop are on 3rd two or three blocks up from Pike Street. Oh yea, right next to both is a great bar that I cannot recall the name of. The decor is 70's style lighting, seating etc.

Green Lake is also one of my favorite spots. If the weather is nice a walk around green lake and a bowl of chowder at Dukes make for a great afternoon.

If you want to take a nice little day trip, hop the ferry to Bainbridge Island (home of Andy Wood, Ben Shepard, Chad Channing, Chris Kattan, many more and me!). You'll get the ferry ride, a fantastic view of downtown Seattle and a quaint little downtown to visit. My only suggestion if you take this up is to avoid rush hour during the week.

West Seattle is where you will find Easy Street records and is also a beautiful place to visit and view downtown Seattle. Again, if the weather is nice the views are priceless.

10-club's original location is right above (not directly but close) the 5-spot, near Seattle center. The 5-spot is a classic Seattle bar that I also enjoy frequenting. I was a bike messenger in Seattle for a few years and that was my spizzot. It's also the place I last frequented after the two most recent Seattle shows. Not sure if 10-club has moved or not.

Of course you need to check the schedule for the Crocodile cafe, the Showbox, etc. to see who's playing in town on your visit. The Showbox location is the shit. Literally kitty corner from the Pike Place Market.

I could go on and on and on....man, I really miss that place right now. If you want some P-town spots just say the word.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Seattle: The Elliot Bay Book Company -- oh crap! They're moving?!?!?! Well, I spend an afternoon there every time I'm in Seattle ... and I bring and empty extra bag to take my loot home!

Portland: The worlds best independent book store of course ... Powell's. Which few people know is now run by the heirs of rock god drummer Cozy Powell!

kidding... kidding... about Cozy, but seriously, hit up those indie bookstores with Grad Girl!
    [sic] happens
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    edited February 2010
    As someone who has lived in both areas....

both are beautiful cities with lots of urban and rural recreational activities.

to narrow it down in the most simplistic way.

For visiting - SEATTLE
    For Living - Portland

Record stores in Portland, go to Music Millenium on NW 23rd or on east Burnside. I'd recomend going to the NW 23 rd area over Burnside.

And go to Pwells Books on west burnside too. It cant be beat.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Smellyman wrote:

For visiting - SEATTLE
    For Living - Portland

Good call! Hence why I'm from Seattle and now live in Portland. I moved from Seattle 13 years ago when it really started getting too big (in my opinion) and found Portland to be what I liked about Seattle in the early 90's.
  • Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    Smellyman wrote:

For visiting - SEATTLE
    For Living - Portland

Good call! Hence why I'm from Seattle and now live in Portland. I moved from Seattle 13 years ago when it really started getting too big (in my opinion) and found Portland to be what I liked about Seattle in the early 90's.

I totally agree with both posters. A little momentum for P'town.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    If your tall Portland can use u at center

rip city
  • I can give you some advice: don't spend much time in Lake City, lots of creepers in that area
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    Smellyman wrote:
    For visiting - SEATTLE
    For Living - Portland

Totally agree with this too! I've been in the Portland area since 1994 & still LOVE it. Ask around when you come visit... Most people here never stop gushing about how much they love the place & the people. When I'd visit my brother-in-law in Jersey, he'd mock me for how I talked about Portland. He came out to visit once... and now he's living here too. :) The only thing is if you can't handle cloudiness/rain. (but sounds like you're deciding between Seattle & here, so...) We have some gorgeous summers, though! Oh, and the unemployment rate sucks. (but maybe it'll be better in 2 years)

How much time do you have to spend in Portland? Are you wanting to check out the nature as well as the culture? For nature, the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area & the coast are the bigger things to see - but there are lots of nice smaller areas too. To get a feel for the culture, I'd recommend walking around on some of these streets: Belmont/Hawthorne/Alberta/Mississippi/NW 23rd/downtown. You'll find some record stores, tons of great food, coffee shops & pubs. The waterfront is great & usually has festivals every weekend in the summer. (& the Saturday Market nearby, which might not be open yet next weekend) McMenamin's refurbished hotels/theaters/pubs are cool. Smellyman: Unfortunately, the Music Millennium on 23rd closed down, but the one on Burnside is still open.

The best thing about Portland that might not necessarily be easy to notice on your trip is the community spirit & civic participation. It doesn't take much to gather a crowd for anything! Somebody just mentioned on another thread about the "secret" Dave Chappelle show last year that ended up getting 4-5,000 attendees. Here's the article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/1 ... 34116.html .

Feel free to PM me! I'd be happy to tell you about more spots; maybe steer you towards some good restaurants, etc.
    sling wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    For visiting - SEATTLE
    For Living - Portland

Smellyman: Unfortunately, the Music Millennium on 23rd closed down, but the one on Burnside is still open.

Doh! Been a while since I lived there.

Move to Hong Kong. It is better than both! :))
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    Smellyman wrote:
    sling wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    For visiting - SEATTLE
    For Living - Portland

Smellyman: Unfortunately, the Music Millennium on 23rd closed down, but the one on Burnside is still open.

I'm actually Chinese, so that's not as far-fetched as you'd think! :) (But my Chinese sucks, so I'd be a big disgrace once opening my mouth!)
    sling wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    sling wrote:

I'm actually Chinese, so that's not as far-fetched as you'd think! :) (But my Chinese sucks, so I'd be a big disgrace once opening my mouth!)

Cantonese? I have been learning it for a while now. But since I am white, instead of disgrace it is eaither a dumbounded look or the blunt "your Cantonese is shit, speak english" haha
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    edited February 2010
    Smellyman wrote:

For visiting - SEATTLE
    For Living - Portland

Record stores in Portland, go to Music Millenium on NW 23rd or on east Burnside. I'd recomend going to the NW 23 rd area over Burnside.

And go to Pwells Books on west burnside too. It cant be beat.

Go to the Burnside Music Millenium, the 23rd location fell victim to the economy :thumbdown:

Also other good record stores are Jackpot records 360 Vinyl.

As for places to hang out, let me know what you're looking for and I will make you some worthwhile suggestions.

Have fun out here!

edit: Looks like sling answered the MM question already.
    Post edited by South of Seattle on
    NERDS!
  • CROJAM95 wrote:

rip city
    Damn Straight!

Also hit up a Blazers game go to the front right when the game starts and you should get some decent scalper tickets for below cost ;)
    NERDS!
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    CROJAM95 wrote:

rip city

Now THAT is funny! :lol::lol:
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Another vote for the Rose City...I LOVE Portland! Voodoo Doughnuts, Saturday Market, the Rose & Chinese gardens, Bagby Hot Spring (well, its close by), Powells books, the Tin Shed & Albina Press! And that would be just how I'd spend one day! If you are a beer lover, there are TONS of brewpubs too. Make sure you take a day to get out of the city too...the coast is just an hour away or drive the up the Columbia gorge. BEAUTIFUL!

Only thing I don't like are the Nazi bicyclists...jeez! If they had guns, there would be dead motorists littering Portland streets.

Hope you have a good time!
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    WOW. thanks for your help, everyone!!! we had a few ideas for each city, but it looks like we're all set now! 8-)

we can't wait to move & this vacation is giving us (what could be) a little glimpse into the future & that's really exciting. we will not miss Waco. we'll miss Texas, but not Waco.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com