Lucid Dreaming

he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i love having lucid dreams. I have gotten to the point where I can control what I dream about... do some flying... women ;) ... etc etc. It only works for a few weeks at a time and then I will go a few months dreaming... but not knowing that I am dreaming... so it is just the regular stuff. The only drawback is sometimes I try to wake myself up in a bad situation and I get caught in a "loop." I think I'm awake but I'm still dreaming, so I wake myself up... only to discover I'm still dreaming, and the process repeats itself endlessly. Time can get distorted so it feels like days or weeks of hell and I can't wake up. But it is worth it.

To learn how to have lucid dreams look up Terence McKenna on YouTube... there are many other good authorities on the subject I'm sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

Is anyone else a lucid dreamer? if so please share your experiences and how you were able to begin lucid dreams. Or, if you've had a lucid experience once or a few times I'd like to hear about it.
Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    I have very vivid lucid dreams (and nightmares) quite often. I never realized it was a particularly rare event though. I have had them since I was very young.

I'm also very lucky to remember a lot of my dreams the next day, though I have never kept a dream journal.

Right now the most vivid ones are about sex, PJ, and werewolves (go figure!). :lol:
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Yeah, although I've never considered it until this thread. I'm often aware of dreaming and making conscious choices within the dream.
  • Rygar wrote:
    Yeah, although I've never considered it until this thread. I'm often aware of dreaming and making conscious choices within the dream.

Isn't it the absolute best feeling to have complete control over "reality?"

Sometimes I will be having a lucid dream and completely remake my environment. "where do I want to go today? How about... Thailand" and I am there. Or I will just change the color of a wall or some other object... or change its shape... just because it is fun.

We are all better artists than we realize!
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • come on people, let's keep the lasagna flying!

don't let my thread die!

life to the deathist pig!
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    come on people, let's keep the lasagna flying!

don't let my thread die!

I think I've said enough about the things I dream in that "other" thread.... :D
  • cdp1223 wrote:
    come on people, let's keep the lasagna flying!

don't let my thread die!

I think I've said enough about the things I dream in that "other" thread.... :D

lucid dreaming can teach you something about your "waking reality" too... breaking down boundaries, killing that damn superego that tells us how to behave according to societal norms, creating a new reality by looking at it differently. That doesn't mean that you can be a millionaire / rock star / whatever just by dreaming it... oh no am I talking about "The Secret" now? ugh...
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    My dreams are super vivid, thanks to meds. Anyway, even if I know I am in one, I have never been able to make myself awake from one, nor do I always know I am in one.
    I hate when I am unsure if something was a dream or not. Like, I will have dreams about everyday stuff sometimes, and then think it was real.
    If I got into an argument with someone, I will think we really did. Or if someone phones me in a dream, I think they really did and return calls and all.
    I get angry when I talk to people I had dreamed about and they tell me such-and-such never happened.
    I already have seizures, so that makes it worse about what is reality and what is not.
    I also know that other people forget stuff anf then they use my fogetfulness aginst me. They try telling me "it must had ben a dream" when sometimes it wasn't!! I can't argue it 'cuz my memory is so bad!

I ned to start writing down any dreams I do remember, but like yesterday, I had a dream my estranged niece called me. I am still not sure if she did or not.
    Aye yi yi!
    Save room for dessert!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I'm not sure if this is lucid dreaming but lately Ive been able to wake myself back up if I dont like the dream im having. Right when I'll fall asleep and start dreaming, if it starts out bad (nightmare-ish) Ill just wake myself up immediately. Its almost as if I know im asleep and dont want to have that dream.

I made a thread about it last night but I had a dream where I died and RIGHT when I was dying and everything turned white, I woke up. But it was definitely me intentionally waking up from it as if i said to myself in the dream "im gonna wake up now".

One thing is that I definitely cannot control my dreams. It seems like I can only control when to wake up.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I'm not sure if this is lucid dreaming but lately Ive been able to wake myself back up if I dont like the dream im having. Right when I'll fall asleep and start dreaming, if it starts out bad (nightmare-ish) Ill just wake myself up immediately. Its almost as if I know im asleep and dont want to have that dream.

I made a thread about it last night but I had a dream where I died and RIGHT when I was dying and everything turned white, I woke up. But it was definitely me intentionally waking up from it as if i said to myself in the dream "im gonna wake up now".

One thing is that I definitely cannot control my dreams. It seems like I can only control when to wake up.

if you know you are dreaming... it is a lucid dream. even if it is just for a moment and you wake yourself up.

next time try to change the situation (change the dream) rather than wake yourself up.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I'm not sure if this is lucid dreaming but lately Ive been able to wake myself back up if I dont like the dream im having. Right when I'll fall asleep and start dreaming, if it starts out bad (nightmare-ish) Ill just wake myself up immediately. Its almost as if I know im asleep and dont want to have that dream.

if you know you are dreaming... it is a lucid dream. even if it is just for a moment and you wake yourself up.

next time try to change the situation (change the dream) rather than wake yourself up.

Sweet. I dont think I can control the dream though. It seems like I can only control right when im going into and coming out of the dream. During heavy REM I dont think I can.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Yes, I've definitely had very lucid dreams. Some have been so bad that I've felt and seen the stickiness of blood on me, and have woken up crying and scared to death. The whole day just feels weird after...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Is there a trick to falling back asleep to continue a dream?

I remember a comedian talking about how difficult this is...he said something like:

"I'll be having a dream that I'm swimming in a pool naked with Christy Brinkley and all of a sudden I wake up. When I try to go back to sleep and dream it again, then I end up playing pool naked with David Brinkley."
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Have never had one.
    My husband and sons do and it sounds awesome to control your dreams. :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • To not wake up... try not to get too excited. I know it is sometimes difficult especially if you're a perv like me. Stay calm. Try to understand that consciousness is "non-local" meaning that it doesn't fit into our notions of space/time. Certain medications can get you to the place where you need to be to lucid dream... legal and illegal. I won't go into detail... there is tons of information available on the internets.