sears is full of shit!

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
apparently they won't honor their price match GUARANTEE

i got a flat over the weekend and so i needed 2 tires. looked around and found a pair with very high treadwear rating and traction grade. on Sears' website they say they will match anyone's price + 10%, if it's an online store you need to show something with the product name, price and shipping cost. i find an online store that has the tire including shipping for a little over $45 cheaper (before the sales tax sears would charge) so, i add it to my cart and go all the way to the confirmation screen showing the product name, number, price and shipping cost.

i go to sears and at first the guy says they don't have those in stock. i say huh, i called yesterday and was told you had several.

oh, let me look it up....yeah, we have those...(now he spends at least 2 minutes studying the paper i printed out) these are different from the ones we have in stock.

how so?

i don't know, maybe the treadwear and traction are higher

and he walks me over to the wall display of the tire which....has the exact same ratings as what i printed out

oh...yeah, see, the one we have says AS.

as we walk back to the counter i think AS probably means All Season, which the tires i printed out were. we are back at his desk and he is asking me if i want to buy those tires now? i look at my sheet and it DOES say AS on it!!! i point this out to him and he stares at the paper again for a minute or 2 then says i need a print out showing the specs of the tire and something saying they have it in stock. i ask why he needs the specs when it already says the manufacture, the model and the size. he says it's the policy, which wasn't on their site. i say there's their website address, do a search for the product number on my sheet. he says no, that is my responsibility. i ask how much would they charge to mount and balance the 2 tires if i bought them from this website and brought them in? $95 for 2 tires (it would be $55 if i bought them from Sears)

my roommate had said i should've demanded to speak to a manager but i thought of it like a restaurant; if you complain a lot you end up with spit or worse in your food and if they're gonna be such dicks about honoring their GUARANTEE i don't want them doing anything to my car.

so, i leave and call a local place asking if i bought tires from somewhere else how much would you charge me to mount and balance them? $20 a tire.

right after that i called the website and ordered the tires, they will be here thursday or friday and i will save over $60 compared to if i bought them at Sears
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mcgavinjmcgavinj Posts: 311
    I hate stupid shit like that
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    wow...most places are cool about that kind of stuff. one of the tire stores out here did a price match.

was the flat repairable? alot of times you can plug the tire. if you are a Sam's club member, they will fix your tire for free, regardless of where you bought the tires.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Ahh, the joys of retail.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    i stopped shopping at sears after they outsourced their customer service department.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    81 wrote:
    was the flat repairable? alot of times you can plug the tire. if you are a Sam's club member, they will fix your tire for free, regardless of where you bought the tires.

no :(
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    That's crap.

you should tell the manager of the store what happened and how he lost a sale.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Shame of Sears!! I don't think they will be in business much longer. They bought up all the K Marts here and aren't doing well at all. They are too overpriced. And with your story, they surely won't last long!
    Save room for dessert!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    they are headquartered half dozen miles from my house. not that that matters....but they are always advertising for the same 4 corporate positions. every week it is posted. i applied once but never heard back. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Lizard wrote:
    That's crap.

you should tell the manager of the store what happened and how he lost a sale.
    Why even waste the time?

Retail is a shitty business. There's not a lot of money in it. There's not a lot of motivated employees.

I can think of better things to do with my time than bitch about tires. It sucks, but life offers other options.