Dying in your dreams

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I had a dream last night that where I was with my friends and they had a helium balloon and I inhaled it. After I inhaled it my neck stiffenned up and I saw in the mirror that my adams apple was shrinking and it eventually imploded. After that I couldn't breathe and I remember saying to myself I'm going to die right now and I'm only 21. Then everything became white and I woke up.

I have never had a dream where I died before and it's sort of freaking me out. Is this even normal? I'm afraid of sleeping right now!
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I had a dream last night that where I was with my friends and they had a helium balloon and I inhaled it. After I inhaled it my neck stiffenned up and I saw in the mirror that my adams apple was shrinking and it eventually imploded. After that I couldn't breathe and I remember saying to myself I'm going to die right now and I'm only 21. Then everything became white and I woke up.

I have never had a dream where I died before and it's sort of freaking me out. Is this even normal? I'm afraid of sleeping right now!
    you died. welcome to hell!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Remember, dreams are symbolic and should not be taken literally. Dreaming of death/dying does not mean 'physical' death, but an 'end' to something looking towards a new start/beginning. A change. Could be anything... is work shit and you would like to leave? Relationship you need to look at? Even just a spring clean of your house. Anything that you would like to change (even if you don't know it yet) or is nagging you could project itself as death in a dream.

So... think about things and sleep tight. You're not dying.
  • redrock wrote:
    Remember, dreams are symbolic and should not be taken literally. Dreaming of death/dying does not mean 'physical' death, but an 'end' to something looking towards a new start/beginning. A change. Could be anything... is work shit and you would like to leave? Relationship you need to look at? Even just a spring clean of your house. Anything that you would like to change (even if you don't know it yet) or is nagging you could project itself as death in a dream.

So... think about things and sleep tight. You're not dying.

I used to dream regularly from an early age that my Dad was going to prematurely die. Now, I know everyone dies but these dreams were so real, and I hardly ever dreamed of him alive. I used to wake up so scared that i'd have to call him asap to make sure he was still there. In the dreams I was always in my 20's and either at his funeral, getting a phone call that he'd had a heart attack or sorting through his stuff. The last time I dreamt this I was stood to the right hand side of his coffin in the local church. His coffin was mahogany and there was a picture of him on top and I read a eulogy.

In August 2009 my Dad died of a heart attack, he was 55 and I was 25 at the time. His coffin was mohogany (I wasn't consulted on this, it was my mum's choice), there was a picture of him on top and I read a eulogy. He was buried in the local church and throughout the service I was stood to the right of his coffin. The comparisons with the dreams I had were actually scarier for me than the fact that I was burying my Dad.

I've never been able to lucid dream but the one time since his death I have dreamed of him dying I was able to tell myself that it was a dream and change it. I woke up very depressed but something definately changed. Now I only dream of my Dad visiting me, either in my house, at my mum's, out on our bikes or in his beloved garden (we spent a lot of time together on bikes and in the garden). He's very happy and the same old Dad I'll always miss. One night I even dreamt that I visited him in the afterlife... He was working in a huge afterlife zoo and was assigned to looking after the tortoises! No, I can't explain that one... :lol:

So, to be fair, it's not entirely true that all dreams are symbolic. I do believe that some are almost premonitions... although I don't think it is in the case of the helium balloon and imploding adam's apple :shock:

I got a dream book years ago and it lives by my bed. I always look up the symbolism of weird and wonderful dreams I've had and it soon puts my mind at ease... maybe you could do the same? :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Once. But in the process of dying, all the secrets of the universe were being revealed and I remember feeling an enormous sense of peace. Then I awoke. Ever since, I have hoped that would be what happened when I die.

Also, take care what you read (or watch on tv) before bed. Anything by Stephen King or Poe would give me horrific nightmares until I finally made the connection and had to quit reading all the macabre material that I used to take to bed.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've been having weird dreams lately...

the other night, i had to take my truck someplace and they would take it to sell, or i could buy it back.

well, i decided to keep it but some middle aged mexican wanted it. he had the keys but couldn't open the hood, so i got the keys from him to open the hood. then he wanted the keys back because it was goign to be his truck, i said no, and we argued for a few minutes, then we got into it. he was biting my arm so to get him off i threw a big knee into him..

this is when i woke up to a pissed gf, because i ended up kneeing her in teh back.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited February 2010
    So, to be fair, it's not entirely true that all dreams are symbolic. I do believe that some are almost premonitions... )

I totally agree about premonitions. Though I would say that premonitions convey themselves through dreams as your mind is 'open' and uncluttered with daily thoughts. I guess it would be difficult to make the difference, but I think those who experienced pre-congnitive dreams can. Besides your dear father's funeral, have you ever had a sense of deja-vu but couldn't place it? Those could be due to pre-cognitive dreams that you didn't remember upon waking.

Weird dreams with 'unnatural' happenings (such as parts of the body imploding!) are usually symbolic.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Dreams are to be analyzed because they have hidden meaning. Only professionals are to be trusted with divulging this information to you.

In this particular case, your self-induced helium asphyxiation has direct relation to your subconscious wanting to touch a male's ball sack on a sailboat.

Regards,

Dream Reader
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Dreams are to be analyzed because they have hidden meaning. Only professionals are to be trusted with divulging this information to you.

In this particular case, your self-induced helium asphyxiation has direct relation to your subconscious wanting to touch a male's ball sack on a sailboat.

Regards,

Dream Reader

:lol:

Seriously though, they have books about the meaning and significance of certain things in dreams. My girlfriend has one somewhere, I can take a peak in there and see what it says in relation to death and dying if you're that curious.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2