buried alive

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
this is video of a skier getting caught in an avalanche...from the skier's perspective...he lives through it....unbelievable :shock:

http://vimeo.com/6581009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• "This is simply a very sobering and unbelievable video. However, you should take away from this video all the positive things that you can learn from it. Yes there are risks to the backcountry - but with proper gear, training, and guide(s) with avalanche and EMT training - you can greatly lower your chances of getting caught in an avalanche in the first place.....and coming back alive if you ever were to get caught in a slide."

Wow. Thanks for posting that norm.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Totally amazing, scary, chilling and funny at the same time. Did you notice he was buried facing up with his hands up in the air? Big credit to those who rescued him so quickly or you could *Cancel Christmas* for him.
    I wonder if he had one of those transponder things that is like a locater if he become buried?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    About 6-7 years ago I was skiing in Winter Park, CO. It snowed 7 feet in less than 2 days ("storm of the century" as they called it then). Anyways, my friends and I trekked it up the mountain. Long story short, I was making a cut across in some deep powder when a large section of the base gave away. Lost my edge, went tumbling and was buried under about 5-6 feet of snow. The pack wasn't too bad, but it was enough weight to push on my back....I was face down. In being buried I was able to keep my hands and poles out in front of me to make an air pocket.

I pulled the poles and my gloves off but my legs (attached to the skis) were not going anywhere. My friends were calling my cellphone as they completely lost me, but I couldn't answer with the snow on my back...and they were nowhere near me to hear it ring.

Long story short, after about 30 minutes I was able to wiggle myself to get my skis off and was able to climb out.
    Had the snow compacted anymore than it did...there was no way I would have gotten out.

Very, very lucky!

Scary, scary stuff!!!
  • mca47 wrote:
    About 6-7 years ago I was skiing in Winter Park, CO. It snowed 7 feet in less than 2 days ("storm of the century" as they called it then). Anyways, my friends and I trekked it up the mountain. Long story short, I was making a cut across in some deep powder when a large section of the base gave away. Lost my edge, went tumbling and was buried under about 5-6 feet of snow. The pack wasn't too bad, but it was enough weight to push on my back....I was face down. In being buried I was able to keep my hands and poles out in front of me to make an air pocket.

I pulled the poles and my gloves off but my legs (attached to the skis) were not going anywhere. My friends were calling my cellphone as they completely lost me, but I couldn't answer with the snow on my back...and they were nowhere near me to hear it ring.

Long story short, after about 30 minutes I was able to wiggle myself to get my skis off and was able to climb out.
    Had the snow compacted anymore than it did...there was no way I would have gotten out.

Very, very lucky!

Scary, scary stuff!!!
    wow....

Thats about all I have to say.....

WOW....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    mca47 wrote:

Very, very lucky!

Scary, scary stuff!!!

Fuck! :shock: I'm going skiing in NZ later this year and just watching that video and reading this story has made me start shitting my pants! :? Scary!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Wow. That was frightening. It seemed to last forever! Lucky that he ahd an air pocket. It was all the sounds you could imagine of being drowned and suffocating! I could hear a cell phone ring twice.
    OMG! How awful that must have been! Geez, I would rather not see anything like that again. It will give mne nightmares!
    Save room for dessert!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    that was one of the most terrifying things ever because it was real.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mca47 wrote:

Very, very lucky!

Scary, scary stuff!!!

DUDE!!! :shock: :shock:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    The thought of being buried alive terrifies me. mca47, your story actually just gave me anxiety and claustrophobia...holy christ dude, that's one hell of a story. :shock: :shock:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i was once at a strip club and there was this lady they called Snowbunny

her special move was the avalance.... you would lay back and she would smother you with her Double F breasteses

it was scary but luckily i too had an air pocket and survived!

:mrgreen:
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    That was so bloody scarey!!! I think my breathing was going in time with his - I was soooo glad when they got him out.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i was once at a strip club and there was this lady they called Snowbunny

her special move was the avalance.... you would lay back and she would smother you with her Double F breasteses

it was scary but luckily i too had an air pocket and survived!

:mrgreen:

hahahaha you're horrible.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    About two weeks ago, there was a young man buried under an avalanche in the canton of Valais - he was found and rescued after 17 hours! He was lucky to have some hollow space above his head so he could breathe, but he was totally unable to move under a layer of 50 cm of snow. He got out with no injuries, he just had slight hypothermia. Must have been hell, and the rescue team said it was a miracle to get someone out of an avalanche alive after such a long time.