Lets talk about Tubes!

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to try out different sounds with my Blues Jr. so my question is what kind of tubes are out there for different sounds?

Thanks
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bookmark this page now. Do not pass "Go," do not collect $200.

http://thetubestore.com/

Not only is that a great place to buy tubes, but there's a lot of great info on what different tubes will do for your tone.

I'm not a big fan of EL-84 tubes, which are the power tubes found in the Blues Jr. But I do know that many people with EL-84's love JJ tubes, with Mullard being close behind.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Bookmark this page now. Do not pass "Go," do not collect $200.

http://thetubestore.com/

Not only is that a great place to buy tubes, but there's a lot of great info on what different tubes will do for your tone.

I'm not a big fan of EL-84 tubes, which are the power tubes found in the Blues Jr. But I do know that many people with EL-84's love JJ tubes, with Mullard being close behind.

Very cool, thank you
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Also when its time to purchase check between the prices at www.tubestore.com and www.tubedepot.com

As for EL84's I've ran JJ's for years, but have moved to Electro Harmonix. Electro's don't seem as "Fizzy" when pushed hard like JJ's. Don't get me wrong they are still "Fizzy" when pushed. That's just a characteristic of a EL84.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I can tell you from personal experience that EL84's in push-pull can sound fantastic, see the Marshall 18 watters, but when used in single ended amps they definitely sound fizzy, like the valve junior. I have had alot of luck with the NOS TESLA EL84 from Tubemnongerdotcom. They are pretty cheap, and they are a direct copy of Telefunkens. I got a couple of early 60's and they sound fantastic. Nice low end and not harsh at all in the highs. Of course, if you can afford NOS RCA's, you'll never go back to new tubes.
    "What a geographical anamoly, two weeks from everything"
  • i have mullard el34s in my '74 marshall jmp and tesla el 34s in my '94 matchless clubman. love them both...i forgot what i have in my '94 jcm 900, i think they are tesla 6l6 or 6550s...not as great sounding as my el 34s IMO..
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    i have mullard el34s in my '74 marshall jmp and tesla el 34s in my '94 matchless clubman. love them both...i forgot what i have in my '94 jcm 900, i think they are tesla 6l6 or 6550s...not as great sounding as my el 34s IMO..

Yes, but EL-34's and EL-84's are VERY different tubes.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • For the money Electro Harmonix tubes are pretty nice. You don't have to spend mass $ on tubes to get decent ones.
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.