Films like Into The Wild?

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Dont know what you classify ITW as but i really enjoyed this movie, not sure if there are any others similar worth checkin out?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Check out Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog. It's more of a documentary, but is the story of a man who goes and lives with the grizzly bears in Alaska. The soundtrack to the film was done by British singer/songwriter Richard Thompson. That's the first thing that comes to mind. Several parallels can be drawn between this film and ITW.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    edited February 2010
    reading the thread just remember this book Ed
    Albert Sanchez Pinol
    La pell freda
    i think in english the tittle is: cold skin

u will love it..
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Check out Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog. It's more of a documentary, but is the story of a man who goes and lives with the grizzly bears in Alaska. The soundtrack to the film was done by British singer/songwriter Richard Thompson. That's the first thing that comes to mind. Several parallels can be drawn between this film and ITW.

*downloading*
  • Brisk. wrote:
    Check out Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog. It's more of a documentary, but is the story of a man who goes and lives with the grizzly bears in Alaska. The soundtrack to the film was done by British singer/songwriter Richard Thompson. That's the first thing that comes to mind. Several parallels can be drawn between this film and ITW.

*downloading*
    Let me know what you think. My friends and I have debated/discussed the similarities and differences between this film and ITW.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Albert Sanchez Pinol
    La pell freda

u will love it..

I dont read :(
  • Brisk. wrote:
    Albert Sanchez Pinol
    La pell freda

u will love it..

I dont read :(
    :(
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Brisk. wrote:

*downloading*
    Let me know what you think. My friends and I have debated/discussed the similarities and differences between this film and ITW.

Thanks for the watch, overall it was good, the first 30/40 mins were a bit boring but as we got more into it was great.

I don't really know what to say or where to start even but the narrator had a very annoying accent, where was he from? and Treadwell repeating everything twice was pretty annoying.

His life and career took major blows and i can understand him just saying fuck it, i truly love bears so I am gonna go live with them. His death doesn't seem bad, he probably knew he was going to get killed by them anyway. I just think he was naive in my opinion, or well it was his point of view but I am a big evolution guy and there are predators and prey and its how the world works etc, he obviously was with the more spiritual and beyond life school of thought as he tried to actually live with them etc.

I just hope his footage was worth something in terms of evolution of natural studies. I for one know not to going anywhere near a friggin bear as i presume they can all kill humans.

The narrator saying for her to destroy the tape was annoying, dont think it was his right or anyones right, i would probably say yes if someone asked me to hear it. Just wonder if he struggled or let the bear eat him as he did say he would never hurt the bears.

Would have liked info on how he survived for so many years? what he ate etc? maybe how he grew to know a lot about bears and survival?

I think the film makes and people interviewed pretty much summed up everything etc
  • A lot of people, especially Alaskans, thought Chris McCandless was naive too. They both died living out what they perceived to be their personal utopias.
    A lot of people, especially Alaskans, thought Chris McCandless was naive too. They both died living out what they perceived to be their personal utopias.

Well i dont think Tim would have done what he did if he didn't have so many set backs in his life. Don't think Chris was as naive as Tim as if you think about it where did we start? in the wilderness.. wonder how many of us ate the wrong berries then. Tim thought he could create some human interaction/link with the bears but people know this cant be done, we are the most sophisticated and smart race on the planet, whatever smart is meant to really mean but still you cant train a wild animal as ferocious as a bear and make it your 'friend'.
  • I've got one for you, a Canadian indie film called "One Week", but I don't know how accessible it is outside of Canada. You might be able to find it online somewhere. It's about a young guy from Toronto who finds out he has stage 4 cancer and has a severe wake-up call. He buys a motorcycle and rides cross-country all the way from Toronto to Tofino, BC to actually experience life for once, rather than going through the motions as a failed novelist who turned to teaching middle school for security. Not only does it provide a spectacular vision of Canada, in both geography and in little cultural quirks, but it's incredibly moving and inspirational, with a fresh dose of welcomed humour. It also features some of the best Canadian music out there today, with a couple cameos from Gordon Downie and Joel Plaskett, although there's sadly no soundtrack. Definitely a must-see for anyone who can appreciate Into the Wild.

Here's a trailer, although it hardly does it justice:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCy6ijUlI7A
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    Alone In The Wilderness - check it out. Dick Proenneke is the original.
  • I really liked THE TRAP , starring Oliver Reed , Rita Tushingham.

It's from the 60s and is a story about survival in the wilderness and the nature of love. Some critics didn't like Reed's performance.
    Hold On