Backspacer love affair?

RB112589RB112589 Posts: 98
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Why do I feel like I'm in the minority when I get a little critical of Backspacer? When you put it up against the other radio crap, yeah it's great, but it's not where the should be, in my ever so humble opinion. They wanted to be put up against the mainstream, and I'm basing this comment off of there Spin Magazine article. To me they're so much bigger and better than that! That's why I'm confused to see alot of these posts pairing this album up against masterpieces of there own kind, when clearly they're, as a band, in a different state of mind as far as the place the band wanted this album to be. For me it's almost the story of two Pearl Jams; only this new version is comparitively good, as to everything before the self titled (avacado) album, was just purely masterful. Keep thinking for yourself, and don't let a desire dictate a false dicision! Can't waite to hear the next Pearl Jam album...

Humbley and always a fan! :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Dude, I agree totally. Ed said something to the effect that if everything they had done before was like muddy water, then Back Spacer is like seltzer or soda or something like it. Obviously this is NOT an exact quote, but I remember thinking that in a way, he was slamming it himself. I guess they wanted to do something not so heavy or political. Of course this has not stopped my absolute love of the band one iota and I, too, am looking forward to what will come next.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • I dislike Backspacer but a lot of people seem to like it and it got good reviews so I'm happy for that. I personally hope they go in a different direction next album....but I'm happy for Backspacer's success.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's an upbeat and optimistic album. Something we don't normally get from the band.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I love Backspacer and still have it on regular rotation. However, I do hope they try something very different for their next album. I would like to have music from them that is more complex and pushes the musical envelope further than they have before.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    DS114969 wrote:
    I love Backspacer and still have it on regular rotation. However, I do hope they try something very different for their next album. I would like to have music from them that is more complex and pushes the musical envelope further than they have before.

exactly how i feel. backspacer is great....but i have a feeling that they've really got some amazing music left in the tank. i can wait to hear it!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • people can't accept change. a "fun" album like this is not something that some PJ fans seem to be able to wrap their collective heads around.

That being said, it's my least favourite of all of their records. A few solid tunes that I really like though.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I think Backspacer is what it is................its their ninth album, and the band is staying fresh and stretching their sound while maintaining their personality. I think its a great addition to their catalog overall............now if the next album (not the rumored EP) sounds like Backspacer again, then i will be quick to criticize it.

i genuinely love got some, the fixer, johnny guitar and force of nature.
    i like gonna see my friend, just breathe, amongst the waves, the end and unthought known.
    i have mixed feelings on supersonic and speed of sound.
  • I love backspacer, one of my favorites, still getting massive play from me.

That being said, I would like to see a more Binaural/Riot Act and even Yield-type direction as far as music and lyrics for their next album.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    I personally love backspacer as do most of the critics and a lot of people here for various reasons but find it sometimes takes me a long time to appreciate each new PJ album after Ten because of the different directions they take. I am just now really appreciating No Code and Binaural years later. I find Backspacer is a fun but thought provoking disc.
  • i think this is the most modern "today" sounding pearl jam yet. there's elements of new wave, even some pop, and more straight forward rock. it's a little more sparkly indeed. but there's nothing wrong with that! every album pj has ever released has been totally different. this is no exception. i think for what they went for, they nailed big time. i still constantly listen to it and it sounds great. i love backspacer.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • honestly, i think it is actually one of their best albums.
    Every song on it is good, whereas on most other albums there is always one or two songs you will skip.

just fucking awesome
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    I think many of these posts make good points. Describing Backspacer as "sparkly" was especially accurate, in my opinion. Not completely sure about "fun"... Sure, "The Fixer" and "Supersonic" are fun, but "Just Breathe" and "The End" aren't. As with most Pearl Jam albums, there's pretty good variety.

For me, Backspacer is a very solid album to put in the Pearl Jam catalogue. In my opinion, the production and tightness of the album is refreshing. An 11-song, no nonsense, solid album. I like songs off "self-titled"/"Avacado", but maybe people are right that production wasn't right and Eddie's vocal performances were a little too... uhhh... yelly and straining. Riot Act, to me, is slogging at times and some songs on there just miss.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    well, it's better than riot act & self titled.

that is all.
  • well, it's better than riot act & self titled.

that is all.

NO EFFING WAY
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • wnh1977 wrote:
    I think many of these posts make good points. Describing Backspacer as "sparkly" was especially accurate, in my opinion. Not completely sure about "fun"... Sure, "The Fixer" and "Supersonic" are fun, but "Just Breathe" and "The End" aren't. As with most Pearl Jam albums, there's pretty good variety.

For me, Backspacer is a very solid album to put in the Pearl Jam catalogue. In my opinion, the production and tightness of the album is refreshing. An 11-song, no nonsense, solid album. I like songs off "self-titled"/"Avacado", but maybe people are right that production wasn't right and Eddie's vocal performances were a little too... uhhh... yelly and straining. Riot Act, to me, is slogging at times and some songs on there just miss.

by "fun", I was referring to the lack of social issues tackled on it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    RB112589 wrote:
    Why do I feel like I'm in the minority when I get a little critical of Backspacer? When you put it up against the other radio crap, yeah it's great, but it's not where the should be, in my ever so humble opinion. They wanted to be put up against the mainstream, and I'm basing this comment off of there Spin Magazine article. To me they're so much bigger and better than that! That's why I'm confused to see alot of these posts pairing this album up against masterpieces of there own kind, when clearly they're, as a band, in a different state of mind as far as the place the band wanted this album to be. For me it's almost the story of two Pearl Jams; only this new version is comparitively good, as to everything before the self titled (avacado) album, was just purely masterful. Keep thinking for yourself, and don't let a desire dictate a false dicision! Can't waite to hear the next Pearl Jam album...

Humbley and always a fan! :D
    Well all I know is I freaked out this weekend when I couldn't find it and really wanted to hear it. No other PJ would do. I guess when you go without you realize just how much you love something.