John Steinbeck

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Kerouac and Hermann Hesse probably impacted my life more, but in terms of pure writing, and eloquence and beauty on the written page, Steinbeck for me, takes the cake. He very well may be, my favorite writer. He has a way of saying things, that often leaves me feeling like I have been hit in the gut.

Anyone a fan of Steinbeck's work?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    I need to read more of his works. Of Mice and Men turned my son into a fan at about 14 years old.

I think he appreciated the hook-up. I gave it to him and just waited for him to talk to me about it. Nice memory...
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    If you haven't already discovered, you may also like Hemingway and Camus.

The Sun Also Rises
    The Stranger
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    If you're not moved by the Grapes of Wrath, you need to check your pulse.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    "East of Eden" is a darn fine book. Tough to say if I've read anything better.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280

One of the greatest books I've ever read. And I've read it three times.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Kevinman wrote:

The Sun Also Rises
    The Stranger

I know Hemmingway is an American treasure, but his stuff always seemed just so damned dry and boring to me. Reading For Whom the Bell Tolls was like getting dental work done.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Fan of Steinbeck.
    Haven't read anything by him in a while. Grapes of Wrath is an American classic.
    My appreciation for his writing began with The Pearl which I read in high school.

Just finished Roth's The Plot Against America. Scary parable for these divisive political times.
    American Pastoral = brilliant.
    Hold On
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I've only read The Grapes of Wrath and that was in high school, but I must admit that at the time I wasn't a big fan of his style of writing. I thought he was too wordy and wished he'd get more to the point. It's not that I didn't think it was a good book; it's certainly a treasure of American literature. It's just that I didn't particularly enjoy reading it. :oops: I much preferred Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. Perhaps I'd enjoy it more if I re-read it today.

(The Stranger, BTW, has always been a favorite of mine. :thumbup: )
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Kevinman wrote:

The Sun Also Rises
    The Stranger

i am mersault.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • love steinbeck
    read all you can
  • Steinbeck is definitely one of my Top 5 authors. I want to read more of his work...

I've read; Of Mice and Men, East of Eden, The Pearl, Cannery Row, The Pony (and a few other short stories), and Grapes of Wrath.

Grapes of Wrath is the book that got me reading again about 7 or 8 years ago. One of the best books ever written, in my humble opinion.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Kerouac and Hermann Hesse probably impacted my life more, but in terms of pure writing, and eloquence and beauty on the written page, Steinbeck for me, takes the cake. He very well may be, my favorite writer. He has a way of saying things, that often leaves me feeling like I have been hit in the gut.

Anyone a fan of Steinbeck's work?

Steinbeck might be my favorite author. I've read almost every book and short story he's written.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • on top of everything thats been said, what better author to immerse oneself in, right now, than Steinbeck. what he wrote about, is in many ways what we all are going through right now. I was just thinking last night, how none of those jobs really exist anymore. In those days, one could hop a freight, and get work picking apples or strawberries, just these small jobs, or the work they did in of mice and men. Nowadays, you couldnt even hop a freight, the cops on the railway would beat you to a bloody pulp
  • on top of everything thats been said, what better author to immerse oneself in, right now, than Steinbeck. what he wrote about, is in many ways what we all are going through right now. I was just thinking last night, how none of those jobs really exist anymore. In those days, one could hop a freight, and get work picking apples or strawberries, just these small jobs, or the work they did in of mice and men. Nowadays, you couldnt even hop a freight, the cops on the railway would beat you to a bloody pulp

Nowadays people would simply dismiss Steinbeck as a "luddite." Heck... the unabomber held many of the same views about technology, machines, etc and the disenfranchisment of humanity. But his way to solve those problems wasn't exactly sane.

Personally, I'm always looking for ways to simplify, to relieve myself from the excesses of our technocracy. Oh, the hypocricy as I type this on a wireless laptop connection hundreds and thousands of miles from all of you... I think a lot of us at least understand that there is a call for an "arhaic revival" and a return to simpler times. Steinbeck, in many ways, was the beginning of this movement (along with Kafka, Thoreau, Twain, et al)
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    smithnic wrote:
    If you're not moved by the Grapes of Wrath, you need to check your pulse.
    Absolutely!
    Save room for dessert!
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    milarso wrote:

One of the greatest books I've ever read. And I've read it three times.

+1

(But Hesse IS the SHIT)
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited February 2010
    God I read East Of Eden in High School for a book report....man that was one long and boring book (good thing I skipped about 400 pages)

I did find parts of it great though, just too much filler for me
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • "East of Eden" is a darn fine book. Tough to say if I've read anything better.
    My absolute favorite book ever.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • I enjoyed Travels With Charley immensely.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."