Citizen Kane

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm watching it again right now. I've seen this maybe 100 times and it never gets old. We studied this film extensively in college and and how it revolutionized how films are made.

Any fans out there in Pearl Jam land?
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• classic, welles=pure genius
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Amazing that he was only 26 when he made this in 1941.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • He dominates any film he's in. Ever seen the Third Man? He's in it for about 20 mins but totally steals the show.

Saw Citizen Kane for the first time last month (Ive seen bits previously in film class) superb film.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    It might be the "trapped on an island" movie for me - you know, if you're trapped on an island and you can only have one movie with you, what would it be? I've probably seen it at least a million times (yes I went to film school) and every time you watch it you see something you never saw before. There are so many moments in it that are so amazing - Agnes Moorehead as his mother in a tiny part, she blows me away.

And the score is totally amazing too.
  • The parallel between Hearst and Chuck Kane is beautifully defined.
  • absolutely love this movie. the lighting stands out to me when i think about it, even just something like this:

citizen-kane.jpg
    citizenkane4.jpg

beautiful.
  • Citizen_Kane_deep_focus.jpg
    I still love this one, innovative in so many ways. The discussion in the foreground, with young Charlie playing outside.
  • Citizen_Kane_deep_focus.jpg
    I still love this one, innovative in so many ways. The discussion in the foreground, with young Charlie playing outside.
    oh yes! god this movie is so good, i need to watch it again sometime.
  • Is that the movie about the sled?
  • Is that the movie about the sled?
    it's the one with the robots. BIG robots.

we're talking fucking HUGE.

yeah, it's about the sled :P heehee
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    what's remarkable about this movie is how well it has held up...a lot movies as they get older tend to age whereas this is so well crafted that it never seems to get old :D
  • Never seen it before, heard about it.
    What is it about anyways?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Never seen it before, heard about it.
    What is it about anyways?
    The film is an interpretation of the life of newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst, with elements of Orson Welles own life incorporated as well. It is widely recognized as the greatest film ever made.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/
  • I'm watching it again right now. I've seen this maybe 100 times and it never gets old. We studied this film extensively in college and and how it revolutionized how films are made.

I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to watch it TWICE for some lame film study class I took as an elective in college. Great advances in editing, cinematography, lighting, blah, blah, blah. And while all that's true, the actual story is fucking boring horseshit.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I'm watching it again right now. I've seen this maybe 100 times and it never gets old. We studied this film extensively in college and and how it revolutionized how films are made.

I had to watch it TWICE for some lame film study class I took as an elective in college. Great advances in editing, cinematography, lighting, blah, blah, blah. And while all that's true, the actual story is fucking boring horseshit.
    Hey, to each his own. At least you understand how much of an impact this film has made on the last 70 or so years of filmmaking. You aren't alone in your stance on this film, though. During the 1942 Oscar ceremony, boos were heard almost every time Citizen Kane was referred to that night. Because of the threats Mr. Hearst had made to RKO and Mr. Welles regarding the release of the film, most people within the film industry didn't want Kane to ever be released in the first place.

"But Charlie, what will the people think of all this?"
    "The people will think what I want them to think."
  • I'm 36 years old and I've never seen this film.

I was never a fan of that movie era but I do realize this is considered one of the top 2 films of all time.

I'll watch it soon but I guarantee you I'll be close-minded and probably not like this movie but then again, I barely like myself.

Hey, to each his own. At least you understand how much of an impact this film has made on the last 70 or so years of filmmaking. You aren't alone in your stance on this film, though. During the 1942 Oscar ceremony, boos were heard almost every time Citizen Kane was referred to that night. Because of the threats Mr. Hearst had made to RKO and Mr. Welles regarding the release of the film, most people within the film industry didn't want Kane to ever be released in the first place.

"But Charlie, what will the people think of all this?"
    "The people will think what I want them to think."

Oh yeah I could respect the innovations and influence. But my god that story is crappy. The worst thing about the whole ordeal was my teacher made it the first film we watched AND the last film we watched....ya know, to see how far we've come. As you might have guessed, I didn't come too far....as evidenced by the fact that I snuck in some headphones and listened to Saucerful of Secrets and Dark Side of the Moon on the second viewing.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Watched it in a film history class while I was in high school.

I usually slept through that class, but I did catch a couple of good films. This being one of them.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2