Gretsch grounding issue

Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
edited February 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a Gretsch G5120 that seems to be having some grounding issues when grounded at the Bigsby vibrato. Can any of you tech guys out there tell me whether or not it's ok to ground it to one of the pots (tone pot)? Will I fry the pot if I do? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Anybody?
  • A vibrato is usually grounded, as far as I know. Mine are. (And came that way from the factory) So I guess it's ok to ground it to one of the pots, as long as it has a ground connection. For example, I just rewired one of my guitars a while ago and grounded pretty much everything to the volume pot and from there to the ground connection. Works just fine. But as I don't know enough about electronics to give any real advice here, I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing what I did, cause for all I know I might fry my behind at the next gig and get thrown into the drumkit. So I guess what I'm saying is: To be safe: Only do something like that if someone who knows what he's talking about (i.e. not me ;) ) tells you it's ok.
  • When I run the wire to the vibrato, it doesn't ground very well (crackles, hums). If I touch the wire to the back of the ground pot, the hum disappears and it plays well. I'm worried that if I solder it to the back of the pot, that it will sh!t out on me after like 20 minutes of playing. I have a basic grasp on electrical components, but am definitely not an expert, so I was hoping someone with some additional knowledge would be able to help me out. Thanks for the reply.
  • I don't know if you'll find what you're looking for there, but this site has a great section on everything about wiring and shielding:
    http://www.guitarnuts.com/index.php