Something I Recently Noticed About PJ Songs (Positive)

RearviewreleaseRearviewrelease Posts: 721
edited February 2010 in The Porch
I was recently listening to all the albums in chronological order and I realized something that should've been obvious from the beginning...

Pearl Jam's songs reflect their lives/world more than ANY other band I've ever listened to.

That may be a bad way to put, but what I'm saying is from Ten----Backspacer, the band makes an almost character-esque arch. Their first albums are a lot of raw, balls to the walls stuff. As years went on, they got even more introspective, writing more obscure yet intense songs. No Code was when they became almost philosophical in some songs. Yield came along, and they became more political. The trend continued, until just recently when they "mellowed out" with Backspacer.

Obviously, these are extremely general and probably bad descriptions, but you understand what I'm saying. Some bands you can label when they released a song based on whether it sounds like their early or late sound.

Pearl Jam, most of the time you can figure out when a song/album came out by the subject matter/attitude of the songs/albums.

It's obvious to PJ fans, but it's something very interesting I realized. I don't think any other band is this distinct.

Just food for thought!
2006/05/25 - Boston
2008/06/30 - Mansfield
2009/10/31 - Philadelphia
2010/05/17 - Boston
2011/06/15 - Providence (Eddie Vedder)
2012/09/02 - Made in America
2013/10/17 - Worcester
2013/10/25 - Hartford
2015/09/26 - Global Citizen Festival
2016/08/05 - Fenway
2016/08/07 - Fenway
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You ever wonder is Pearl Jam is an Alien experiment geared towards us???
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Hey RVR. I get what you're saying. Yeah, kinda simple but totally true. You can see/hear the almost teenage(20 something I guess) angst in the early albums then yeah, right through to way more chilled in Backspacer. YAY for PJ!! :-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • et21et21 Posts: 112
    THIS is why I love them. Honestly, it's the evolution and progression of the band that I love so much. Sure I love the music, but it's that story of theirs that is also intertwined with my own personal evolution that sets them apart from any other band on my mp3 player.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    You ever wonder is Pearl Jam is an Alien experiment geared towards us???
    Those are some fuckin cool aliens :mrgreen: , beam me up, i'm going to planet PJ10 in the binural system. (please yeild for space avocado's )
  • I've always said, that like everything else bands evolve. The members grow older, and the music they make will change as well. The fact remains that their music as a whole is so much better then other shit out there now. Not everyone will be happy all the time, but thats not really their problem. They make music for a living and if its good, people will listen to it. Based on sales, and the amount of people on these boards..peaople are listening. Hands down the greatest band on the planet.