Best hockey skates for beginner/ intermediate?

brother123brother123 Posts: 792
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
As the title says.

I'm pretty good at the moment to warrent my own hockey skates. No more damn rentals.

I was thinking Bauer or CCM.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• when my son started to skate 12 years ago.His 1st 3 pairs were Nike Ignite....they ran about 50 bucks...semi steel blade which needed weekly sharpening and the boot gave him great support around the ankle.Bauer 300 hundreds are a very good skate but they could cost between 100-200 bucks.If you want to spend that kind of money ask yourself...how many times is he/she gonna use the them...keep them sharp and get good ankle support..theres no need when they are 4-7 years old to spend a ton of money on skates...my sons skates now run me over 400 bucks...good luck...1 last thing if you have a reputable hockey shop near you...go there...Good Luck
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • can't use rentals-gotta have your own skates. as with most things, you get what you pay for. CCM, Bauer(Nike), Mission, Easton all make both crap and quality skates. go with a mid-price range model if you plan on playing a lot in the future. you don't need Sydney Crosbys' skates, but you don't want cheap crappy entry-level skates as they will hurt your feet and not last as long as you'd like. if you have a hockey store or giant sports store nearby, chat 'em up - they know more than i do. also you can try stuff on before you buy which helps. no stores near me so i use Hockeymonkey.com or hockeygiant.com. Technology the past couple of years have made skates ultra light and the break-in period next to nada. my current skates (6 yrs old) took a season and a half to break in and i've resisted getting new ones because, well, my old ones are broken in, and i'm saving $ in case these guys make a tour announcement anytime soon. happy skating.
    uke can save the world
  • Like said above, all of the major brands make entry level up through professional skates.

Try different brands out, they fit differently. I can't wear CCM's comfortably and have always had Bauer/Nike skates. They just fit my feet good. I've never tried Missions or Eastons, though.

I had no idea what skates cost anymore so I just checked out greatskate.com... Seems like most companies made mid-range skates in the $169-$189 range, probably safe there.

Once you get them broken in a bit, your will understand why rentals suck :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Check out the Bauer Vapor hockey skates. Either the X-20, X-30 or X-40.