Eddie disgusted with The Who?

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Posts: 4,641
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    No...he meant that as a compliment. I saw it on the Who dvd Amazing Journey.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    I agree with the author (and Ed), I never hear anyone criticize a band saying "oh, they are just ripping off the Who's sound"
    ... nobody sounds like the WHO becauase they are all over the musical spectrum:

What part of this statement is inaccurate?

The Who diverge from the trunk of rhythm and blues and sit at the base of a sizeable limb that branches out in a myriad of twiggy genres.

-The group's early mod period would eventually inspire 1990s Britpop bands like Oasis and Blur.

- The stuttered growls of "My Generation," along with The Who's destructive on-stage attitude—splintering guitars and blowing up drum kits—bled into the then nascent punk scene pioneered by The Clash, The Ramones, and The Stooges.

- Guitarist Pete Townshend even coined the term "power pop" in a 1967 interview to describe The Who's aggressively melodic sound, which everyone from The Knack to Cheap Trick to Weezer would borrow and tweak.

- And, of course, where would the concept of the concept album be without Tommy, the first so-called rock opera?

It's not enough to call The Who influential; they're nigh inescapable as rock 'n' roll progenitors
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford