To all those who think Backspacer is weak, meh or so-so.....

U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
edited February 2010 in The Porch
...have you seen the band do the songs live yet?

Pearl Jam has not really toured much since Backspacer's release and only a small handfull of us have been lucky enough to see them funky fresh in the flesh....

.....so i want to know how many of you negative nancies are basing your judgement upon the studio album :?: :?: :?: :?:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    fools have no idea
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Hell, I think its a classic without the benefit of hearing/seeing it live.....don't understand so many disliking it
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    ...have you seen the band do the songs live yet?

Pearl Jam has not really toured much since Backspacer's release and only a small handfull of us have been lucky enough to see them funky fresh in the flesh....

.....so i want to know how many of you negative nancies are basing your judgement upon the studio album :?: :?: :?: :?:

I saw both Seattle shows, and I thought the Fixer was a nice surprise hearing it live- it rocked. Otherwise, it had no effect on my opinion of the album....so so overall.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Yea they rock live but all pj rocks live. They're simply a great live band. They can make any song rock live. For me, I judge by the studio albums, and Backspacer is weak, meh, so-so. It's just way to simple for this band. No staying power at all. I listened to NC, Vitalogy, Yield, Binaural and Riot Act for years, literally years, before I was even a little tired of them. Backspacer was old to me before X-mas. With all that said, it's still a great album, just not up to my pj standards.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Crazy Breed, you saw me in Philly and I still think it's weak. Keep FoN and Got Some and toss the rest.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • I have not yet seen the Backspacer songs live, and I'm sure I will feel differently after this summer's tour, but to me, Backspacer is the worst album they have made, by a country mile. As others have said, it's still good because it is our boys, but I really think they did a poor job with Backspacer. I'm gonna get killed for this, but it's an undeniable feeling I've had since the moment I first heard it. How many times is Mike's guitar even heard on the album? Twice?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Wasn't a big fan of the Fixer at first...but that song's on a whole new level live.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Fenway Faithful- do you have a larger image of your profile pic? If so you have to send it to me- that's the greatest thing I've ever seen!!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    KevinR wrote:
    Wasn't a big fan of the Fixer at first...but that song's on a whole new level live.

totally agree. and i still dislike the studio version enough to skip it when it comes on or even turn off the radio...but at the Spectrum...it just seemed like a whole different musical composition. the place was going nuts during the "yeah yaaaaaaa" parts.
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
    have any of the nay-sayers read the lyrics to force?

i mean cmon :roll:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • I don't need to hear the songs live to know the album is just 'meh', which in my opinion, it is.

I didn't need to hear the stuff from Ten, No Code, or Vs. live to know they were all tremendous albums, why should I have to with Backspacer?

The material just 'aint up to par with some of their great stuff. It's a solid album. Nothing more, nothing less.

All IMO of course.
  • The 1st live experience with 'Amongst the Waves' was brilliant.
    That song rises like a tsunami- it'll fill any space to the rafters.
    'The Fixer' is great, always. But that 1st AtW...
    ... ah, it gave me vertigo!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • I have to be honest. Saw them on WC and Philly this tour. With the exception of Unthought Known, I think the songs sound better on the studio album. This is the first time I can say this as all the rest are much better live. BTW I love the album so this is not such a bad thing, but I was suprised that's the way I felt.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • I think this thread is weak. You're asking to consider a studio album not by the actual studio album but by its live songs? I don't like binaural but its songs live are good because as someone pointed out above me Pearl Jam is a great live band. But I still don't like binaural as an album.
  • But I still don't like binaural as an album.

Don't say that to Crazy Breed... :lol:
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • IBut I still don't like binaural as an album.
    ALERT!!!!!..u are in danger....... :evil:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I think this thread is weak. You're asking to consider a studio album not by the actual studio album but by its live songs? I don't like binaural but its songs live are good because as someone pointed out above me Pearl Jam is a great live band. But I still don't like binaural as an album.
    Uh-oh...is that Crazy Breed's entrance music I hear?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Seen a couple songs live and like others have said.....PJ is just a great live band.

There's a few keepers but all in all THE weakest PJ album. FoN, Johnny G are great and ATW has some great sounds but the rest are among their most boring songs, and I don't think they had many before
  • Oh boy, here we go. I just think that a studio album should be judged on the merits of being a studio album. How does it stand up as its own entity? As far as Binaural, I'm currently listening to it now, again. I'm sorry but Evacuation is awful, Breakerfall is terrible, sleight of hand and god's dice are alright, kind of boring. Light Years, Of the Girl and grievance are great. Its a decent album overall, but a mediocre Pearl Jam album which is why I don't like it.
    Backspacer I think is great though. Its gots its punk, new wavey songs, its anthems, and great ballads in the End and Just Breathe. Is it me or is the Speed of Sound Demo so much better than the album version?
    All this shit is just my opinion of course
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Weak studio albums don't fill the venue seats with prospective new fans.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think those who aren't taken with Backspacer just yet, give them time, in a year or two they'll come back around and listen some more and get it.
    pandora wrote:
    I think those who aren't taken with Backspacer just yet, give them time, in a year or two they'll come back around and listen some more and get it.

I disagree. No depth in the music. No depth in the lyrics
    jamburger wrote:
    Weak studio albums don't fill the venue seats with prospective new fans.

No, but a great back catalog does. How many new fans were really at the shows?
  • The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    DewieCox wrote:
    pandora wrote:

I was going to respond to this and say something that ended up being much more negative. I'll just stand behind what you say here.

(And the fact that The Fixer is a horrible, horrible song) [sarcasm]I better put a fixin' on it.. yeah yeah yeah[/sarcasm]

yeah yeah yeah :roll:

i was gonna let one fly in your direction, but after the "I still don't like binaural as an album" it's hard to take you serious.......it would be like beating up one of Jerry's kids! :lol::lol:

and if you re-read my original post you will see i did in fact NOT ask anyone to not consider anything...i merely asked if they had seen the songs live yet...i want to know if people changed their minds when and if they saw it live...and if they didn't then i think they still have a chance of liking some of the material once they see it live....understand?
    DewieCox wrote:
    pandora wrote:

read the force lyrics again
    DewieCox wrote:
    pandora wrote:

great lyrics, just not that deep

I just don't thing it's grower type album.

i was gonna let one fly in your direction, but after the "I still don't like binaural as an album" it's hard to take you serious.......it would be like beating up one of Jerry's kids! :lol::lol:

what is your least favorite Pearl Jam album?
    DewieCox wrote:
    pandora wrote:

the metaphors used to tell the story are top notch imo
  • DewieCox wrote:

even though i do like BS i have to agree with Dewie on this one....Binuaral & Riot Act were the kind of albums you could throw on the shelf for years and then come back and discover shit you never heard or understood at the time....BS is more simple and bears all it's fruit right from the get go IMO.