Planning a Disney World Vacation!!!

MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone ever tried to plan a Disney Vacation?

We are booked in the Disney Polynesian Resort for 7 nights, and we are doing the Deluxe dining package.

My wife and I and our 3 daughters (ages 7, 5 and 2) are going.

Determining where to go, where to eat, what to see is very difficult. There's so much info.

For those of you, who have been, what are some "can't miss" items, and what are "don't waste your time" items?

HELP!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    as long as you're staying inside disney(which you are) its all gravy
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    You should talk to my cousin. She is a Disney maniac.

She got married in Disney and we had a wedding party at the Polynesian. It's great. Just be sure to get the park hopper pass for the amount of time you are there. Nothing worse than being stuck in the same park all day. I ran out of things to do at Magic Kingdom in about an hour. Went to MGM and Epcot all in the same day and went back to each a few more times before the vacation was up. Have fun.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • With that dining plan, go light at breakfast or lunch and do the signature places for dinner. California Grill at the Contemporary, Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Citrico's at The Grand Floridian to start. There's a brewery at the boardwalk that's worth an afternoon too!
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    My parents are Disney Vacation Club Members and I have been down to Disney World probably 25 times in my life...great place. Now that I have a son I can't wait to take him some day. I've been there tons with my young cousins and you are going to have a great vacation.

the Polynesian Resort is AWESOME - can't go wrong and right on the Monorail to the parks. it's probably the nicest hotel in the entire DW experience. The Delux Package might be too much food for you and your kids - it's A LOT of food and you can probably go with something less, or just buy food when you are down there. Try the Mickey's Character Breakfast at the Contemporary Hotel (also on the Monorail) it really is a great experience for young kids. There are great places to eat in every park too...just easy lunch spots where you can sit down in nice AC and eat and then go to the next spot in whatever park you're going to.

The two parks that you can't miss - Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios - your girls will like these the most. I love Epcot, but it's a bit of a more grownup place.

http://www.mouseowners.com - get on the message board and tell people that you aren't a member but that you are going for the first time...you'll get tons of emails from people that will give you great suggestions.

One other thing I would suggest and my parents did it with us back in the 80s and early 90s when we were younger...dress your three girls (although they might not be crazy about it) in the same color or same shirts - much easier to keep your family together in larger crowds.

Hope this helps.
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
  • I've been there several times in the last few years alone as my in-laws are hardcore fans. In fact, they are there right now for February vacation. I just got back from Miami w/the wife as she ran the marathon, thus not there right now. Kinda cold in Orlando right now.

You need to do Fantasmic. Do not leave before taking your family to Fantasmic. It is nothing short of sensational and I can't do it justice in a post. It's a live show for 2,000 fans at a time by a lake with incredible fireworks and special effects and runs for an hour. You simply have to go. Not sure what park but consierge will tell you.

Illuminations is cool. Worth checking out. I believe it's by Epcot.

Mt. Everest is one of the newer attractions. It's a roller coaster that goes fast and then backwards.

Make sure you bring your own water bottles to the park. They run for $6 a bottle there and the lines are outrageous. Either buy them in a store down there before going or pack a 12 pack in your suitcase and check it in and just put the bottles on top of your hotel room bureau. You'll save plenty of $$$ and time, trust me from experience.

Also check out the Safari at Animial Kingdom. I love it every time.

Here's a spoiler to Fantasmic and enjoy yourself. Have a magical time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1-Dn_tR ... re=related
  • I wish I was planning a DisneyWorld vacation!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Has anyone ever tried to plan a Disney Vacation?

We are booked in the Disney Polynesian Resort for 7 nights, and we are doing the Deluxe dining package.

My wife and I and our 3 daughters (ages 7, 5 and 2) are going.

Determining where to go, where to eat, what to see is very difficult. There's so much info.

For those of you, who have been, what are some "can't miss" items, and what are "don't waste your time" items?

HELP!!!
    We stayed at the Polynesian on our second trip with 2 pre teen girls. They had a blast- it being on the monorail and all they could just go. All their resorts are great for a fantasy trip. You are going to have a blast!
    With the ages of your kids this will be a learning trip cause you will all want to go again for sure. Its wonderfully fun. Of course also with the ages of your girls The Magic Kingdom will be where you'll spend most your time. Our kids also loved the splash park and The Wilderness Park which had just opened also on the second visit. Epcot maybe not their thing for this visit or Downtown Disney either.
    We really loved Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean rides in Magic Kingdom. Did both of those more than once each visit.
    I'm jealous I want to go back- no grandkids for me yet though but maybe someday :)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    oh and schedule a breakfast with "someone" we did the Winnie the Pooh characters- I loved that! Its so fun being a kid again!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,711
    pandora wrote:
    oh and schedule a breakfast with "someone" we did the Winnie the Pooh characters- I loved that! Its so fun being a kid again!
    The Crystal Palace restaurant, its a buffet, we did it this past November, my kid loved it. The kids willl get personal time with Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eyeore, definitely worth doing with 3 young ones.
    This weekend we rock Portland