Options

lucero?

jr19jr19 Posts: 338
edited November 2010 in Other Music
anybody know much about this band. going to check em out in a week. heard they sound a lot like uncle tupelo and son volt. the whole country-alt thing. is this accurate?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    i don't know much about them at all but let us know how they are.

I enjoy uncle tupelo and son volt so they are off to a good start.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    full report next week.
  • Options
    WOW.

Lucero is an amazing band, definitely in my top ten. Yes, a bit like Uncle Tupelo, but much better in my opinion. Very real, soulful music with a fair amount of aggression. Singer Ben Nichols is a tenor, but his voice is chock full of mud, grit, and cigarettes. All their last 5 albums have been good, but my favorite is "Tennessee"--check it out if you get the chance. New album is a bit more produced, but still some excellent songs that they will play at the show for sure--try "Smoke", "What are you willing to lose" and "Hey darlin do you gamble". I would give a kidney to see them live. Have fun.
    The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    thanks for the recommendation! wow, this band is great
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    i just picked up "tennessee" last night. ive listen all the way once, but solid album so far.
  • Options
    I've heard of these guys a lot have never listened before today....it's cool on their website because you can listen to all the albums...I've got Tennessee playing now and sounds good to me
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    I've been listening all day just about and I do believe they've got a new fan. Tennessee is freakin great but I like the rest as well.
    How are they live? They're actually going to be playing about an hour from here in a couple of weeks.
    I've looked for some bootlegs but have had no luck yet.....any clues?

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Sitting in the hotel room in Savannah GA listening to Lucero right now - getting my head right for Jason Isbell up the street around 10:00pm tonight!!!
  • Options
    yeah im super ready for Lucero in augusta,ga next thursday!! but cage the elephant first in Charleston on monday!! looks like a great week right??
  • Options
    ok. show in Augusta was decent for the most part. Now that i have had time to listen to Lucero on their studio recordings and seeing them live i have come to the conclusion that they are not bad yet nothing spectacular. Great musicians just nothing out of the ordinary. The one thing that did stand out was the lap steel guitar..... wow that thing was amazing. it is such a addition if someone can really tear that thing up.
    the opening band Glossary i thought was better. they had a little more passion than lucero. all and all had a great time.... if you get a chance to see lucero i say go see em. there at Bonnaroo this year so maybe ill see em again.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    jr19 wrote:
    ok. show in Augusta was decent for the most part. Now that i have had time to listen to Lucero on their studio recordings and seeing them live i have come to the conclusion that they are not bad yet nothing spectacular. Great musicians just nothing out of the ordinary. The one thing that did stand out was the lap steel guitar..... wow that thing was amazing. it is such a addition if someone can really tear that thing up.
    the opening band Glossary i thought was better. they had a little more passion than lucero. all and all had a great time.... if you get a chance to see lucero i say go see em. there at Bonnaroo this year so maybe ill see em again.
    That is cool man. Thank you for the honest review. I think i will give these guys a shot still at some point
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Can't stop listening to this song the last few days....

Can't Feel a Thing

Bastard from the start but a charming one at that
    Bad reputation but I really ain't that bad
    It's alright, I can't feel a thing
    Beauty from the city dolled up in a dress of gold
    I like them high heels but she won't wear them no more

She's nothing short of perfect as she's falling to the ground
    Nothing short of Armageddon is gonna slow her down
    Nothing short of dying's gonna bring me any peace
    But I ain't really worried, cause I can't feel a thing

Got so much to tell her but the words seem to get lost
    Bottles empty and I can't complete the call
    She ain't on the phone and she ain't on the way
    And all the messages keep going up in flames

It's nothing short of Vegas and a bar that's never closed
    Nothing short of lying down and waking up alone
    And nothing short of dying's gonna bring me any peace
    Well I ain't really worried, cause I can't feel a thing

It's alright, well it's alright
    A little less pain every time I fall
    It's alright, its alright
    Til you get so tired you can't feel nothin' at all
    Nothin' at all

She asked me if I loved her and I showed her the tattoo
    Wasn't no answer but for then it had to do
    I listened to a band at a bar outside downtown
    There ain't enough girls wearing high heels in this crowd

She's nothing short of perfect as she's falling to the ground
    Nothing short of Armageddon is gonna slow her down
    Nothing short of dying's gonna bring me any peace
    Well I ain't really worried, cause I can't feel a thing
    Can't feel anything, well I can't feel anything
    Can't feel a thing

• Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    these guys fucking rock. absolutely one of the best bands out there right now... first time I saw them was in '04... nothing but mohawks and cowboy hats in the crowd. people taking beers and spraying them all over the place from the floor... punk rock ethos and DIY all the way... Ben Nichols has one of the best voices in rock n' roll right now, period.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    "tennessee" is an amazing album.

they are playing a free show as part of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco along with Patti Smith, Elvis Costello and many more.
    2008: Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco

http://everythingwedidbelieve.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I have all their stuff and saw them in Minneapolis about two years ago. They're solid live. They did a cover of Bill Wither's "Ain't No Sunshine."

I think PJ is the only band that doesn't visit Minneapolis/St. Paul, by the way... :roll:
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    They just announced whole bunch of tour dates for the Fall.

• Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    They're opening for Social Distortion in Baltimore. Can't wait
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    Saw them last night in LA at the Troubadour...it was fucking epic.