Any real Fan of the Alien the movie (with a price!)

arqarq Posts: 8,013
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I remember the first time i watched it, I was like 8 years old and scared the crap out of me, know that the special FX are lame in comparison with all the new 3D stuff but that Is a real suspense/scary movie based on a good story line! any thoughts? by the way I'll give a gift A REAL fan of the movie ;) nothing fancy but really cool!
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Special effects don't make a movie, a good story with charcecter development are the keys.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,052
    I thought the effects , as limited as they were , were spot on. That is one "monster" that works.That whole movie. Suspense is what makes that kind of movie.Not the gore.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    Alien had its dose of suspense. The fact you barely see the creature intensifies is.

This film is awesome (and Cameron's Aliens, was excellent too).
  • Hub. wrote:
    Alien had its dose of suspense. The fact you barely see the creature intensifies is.
    That's one of the best things about it (along with the strong characterizations). Later Alien movies showed too much of the critter.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Hub. wrote:
    That's one of the best things about it (along with the strong characterizations). Later Alien movies showed too much of the critter.

True but they had to go there the sequel and I thought the 2nd was just as good as the first.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p wrote:
    Hub. wrote:

True but they had to go there the sequel and I thought the 2nd was just as good as the first.

Peace
    I liked the 2nd one too. But after that, seemed like there was just a little too much focus on the gross-out aspects of the creature. Really removed the suspense.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    I liked the 2nd one too. But after that, seemed like there was just a little too much focus on the gross-out aspects of the creature. Really removed the suspense.

Absolutely, I went to the movies for the third one and I fell asleep. I'll only watch the first two and I love those sci fi movies.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I've come to appreciate Alien3 over the years. When I first watched it, I despised it. There was hardly any action at all, I didn't care for the plot that Ripley was impregnated by the Alien, and the ending was an absolute downer. However, the movie has grown on me. I think if Fincher would've tried to "outmake" Aliens he would've failed miserably. Going over-the-top action would've just been a mess. What Alien3 offers is a more scaled down model of Aliens, and he relies on writing and acting rather than action to get his point across. Mind you, to me it still ranks third best in the series, but I think it's unjustly dismissed by many because of the lack of action compared to Aliens.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Back in the day I was in NYC in a store's toy section and they had about a 2 foot? doll of Alien with the mouth that popped open when you pushed on the back of its head to expose the other little mouth. It was very cool. I never purchased it. Still haunts me to this day.

And yes the movie is one of the best in my books.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    edited February 2010
    I will watch all of them, the first two are my favorites (number 2 edging out number 1).
    Very good movie. Poor kitty :(

I remember when I was little I saw (most of) the chestburster scene, and bits and pieces of the rest of the film, and that one scene is all I could remember until I finally watched the whole thing from start to finish hehe.

Anyone see the extra stuff (I think it was extra) - when they're in crashed ship where they find the eggs, they first find an alien pilot still in his chair (he was extremely large, btw) and naturally, has a big hole in his chest.

I heard that the next Alien movie will focus on that species (the alien pilot species), but that might just be speculation now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(franchise)#Future_films)
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    Special effects don't make a movie, a good story with charcecter development are the keys.

I totally agree. However, Alien is one of my favorite horror films. The filming of it truly scares me everytime I watch it. Excellent film, and truly an instant classic.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • My fav horror film of all time. Absolute master class at suspense. They dont make em like these any more :D

I wonder how long before some tit wants to do a remake :roll:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    81 wrote:
    and it sure helps to have Sigourney Weaver the main Character- I liked them all.
    My fav horror film of all time. Absolute master class at suspense. They dont make em like these any more :D

I've totally thought the same thing. It seems that the idea of letting a classic live on in the original form is not possible these days.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    My fav horror film of all time. Absolute master class at suspense. They dont make em like these any more :D

I've totally thought the same thing. It seems that the idea of letting a classic live on in the original form is not possible these days.

Ridley Scott said recently that he's interested in doing a prequal to Alien :?
    dcfaithful wrote:

Ridley Scott said recently that he's interested in doing a prequal to Alien :?

A perfect idea to throw something awesome under the bus. :roll:

Don't make the Alien franchise suffer like The Terminator one did. :|
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:

I didnt see Terminator 3 but i had the misfortune to watch Salvation. To use a very English term it was utter wank!
    dcfaithful wrote:

I didnt see Terminator 3 but i had the misfortune to watch Salvation. To use a very English term it was utter wank!

Terminator 3. :roll:

Then they came out with the TV show "The Sarah Connor Chronicles"

Needless to say, I haven't bothered with Salvation.

To this day I still feel the original is best. It's a terrifying premise.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL