Lollapalooza Headliners (PJ Implications...link included)

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited February 2010 in The Porch
I LOVE four of these headliners, but check this out...not looking good for our boys:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/ ... -day-.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    only time will tell.

honestly i dont see Lady GaGa as headliner material at a festival as "alternative" as Lolla. but who the hell knows these days
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • This rumor is all over the web today. Really, it only gives us a potentially skeletal structure to what PJ may do. Will they tour the spring? Take the year off? Force Matt in to a torn rotator cuff?

I'm dying to know PJ!!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    all that implicates is that PJ comes first for Matt

and this is only one show, I am sure soundgarden is trying to get a big payday to do a festival

anyone remember when another band played Lolla and it was their only show for that year?
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    I dont think they will be in chicago for august...Like ive hinted before...They play chicago in september...
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    as much as I love Chicago and the recognition that a major festival has brought to our city, a big part of me hopes that Lolla will leave.

I dont understand why people here (on this board) want so badly for PJ to play a festival. festivals suck! and if a band is playing a festival in your area, chances are you will not get an individual show in a decent venue that season. I understand it if you are in a remote area and a festival is your only chance to get PJ, but I'll take one or 2 shows at the UC over Lolla ANY DAY.

look at TCV. we got that one "debut" show at the Metro which was impossible to get into, they havent come around since, and now they'll probably play Lolla. no thanks.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    a
    I dont understand why people here (on this board) want so badly for PJ to play a festival. festivals suck!
    I think the OP was trying to point out that Matt will be playing with Soundgarden in August-and that PJ will not be playing in August-more so than the fact that PJ is not a headliner-but

thats just masturbatory speculation ;)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    festivals suck! .
    Bonnaroo definitely did not suck
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Get_Right wrote:
    a
    I dont understand why people here (on this board) want so badly for PJ to play a festival. festivals suck!
    I think the OP was trying to point out that Matt will be playing with Soundgarden in August-and that PJ will not be playing in August-more so than the fact that PJ is not a headliner-but

thats just masturbatory speculation ;)

you are correct sir...the 'hall pass' line is what got me
    LukinFan wrote:
    festivals suck! .
    Bonnaroo definitely did not suck

AMEN

some people dont like festivals, and i respect that. but dont go out and make blanket statements like "festivals suck" when clearly, they do not ! i
    nstead say..." i think festivals suck" or "i believe festivals suck"
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I doubt Pearl Jam is gonna be playing lolla anytime soon. they headlined 3 years ago.

Those headlines are pretty MEH (besides Soundgarden OBVIOUSLY). Lady Gaga? Seriously? what garbage. Green Day is a giant blah for me and those other 2 bands I dont really care for.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    jets521 wrote:
    AMEN

some people dont like festivals, and i respect that. but dont go out and make blanket statements like "festivals suck" when clearly, they do not ! i
    lady gaga sucks
    gndcd402 wrote:
    jets521 wrote:
    AMEN

lady gaga sucks

:lol:
    that i support
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I hope PJ makes it to chicago in August again. I love the (6) hour drive to get there and my husband & I make it a long weekend away. Always very special. Unfortunetly, I think 2011 will be the year for a big US tour. :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    jets521 wrote:

nope, I stand by my statement. :D
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Acutally the Billboard article adds some hope for the rumored PJ spring tour! From the Billboard article:

As previously reported, Soundgarden announced that it will reunite for concerts in 2010 via a New Year's Eve Twitter message from frontman Chris Cornell which directed fans to a new Web site, Soundgardenworld.com. Sources told Billboard the group is weighing offers from several major U.S. and international festivals. The Lollapalooza appearance could possibly be the first by the Seattle rock quartet -- Cornell, guitarist Kim Thayil, bassist Ben Shepherd and drummer Matt Cameron --since splitting up in the spring of 1997. But a Soundgarden tour routing is still a work in progress, due to Cameron's prior commitments to play with Pearl Jam in the spring and summer.
    I still think PJ spring, SG summer, PJ fall.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    as much as I love Chicago and the recognition that a major festival has brought to our city, a big part of me hopes that Lolla will leave.

I dont understand why people here (on this board) want so badly for PJ to play a festival. festivals suck! and if a band is playing a festival in your area, chances are you will not get an individual show in a decent venue that season. I understand it if you are in a remote area and a festival is your only chance to get PJ, but I'll take one or 2 shows at the UC over Lolla ANY DAY.
    festivals are better cause you don't have to put up with elitist 10c members who get tired of evenflow or daughter and would rather hear rats or something.. i've neve been to an actual festival but i have gone to tons of warped tours and they were so much fun and i got to discover tons of bands.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

kinda hard for SG to tour in the summer when pj is playing europe in the summer time. only way SG tours in the summer is if SG and PJ tour together. i can easily see that happening.

• metsfan wrote:
    kinda hard for SG to tour in the summer when pj is playing europe in the summer time. only way SG tours in the summer is if SG and PJ tour together. i can easily see that happening.

i think we may see some SG dates in early june, right before the PJ euro tour, maybe some SG dates after the euro tour in mid july-early august. PJ late summer/early fall could make sense. I still think we'll see at least a handful of PJ may dates.

one thing's for sure, the Cameron family will be eating very well in 2010.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    jets521 wrote:
    AMEN

Anytime anyone makes a statement about anything its implied that 'i think' or 'i believe' proceeds it. If I say 'Gonna See My Friend is the best song off the album' you can put 'I think' in front of it as there's no way to scientifically prove it.

And, for what its worth, Lolla does indeed suck. Worst PJ show I ever saw and I regretted buying a 3 day pass with every day of that festival. Talk about a cashgrab by everyone involved!

i think we may see some SG dates in early june, right before the PJ euro tour, maybe some SG dates after the euro tour in mid july-early august. PJ late summer/early fall could make sense. I still think we'll see at least a handful of PJ may dates.

i see a PJ/SG spring and summer tour for this year. do 15 dates on the east coast before europe and some west coast dates in the fall around the 20th anny show. i can't see SG not touring with PJ if matt is gonna be in both bands. it makes sense for a double bill in that regards and bringing in the big bucks. again this is all just somewhat logical guessing and wishful thinking on my part.

• gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    drsluggo wrote:
    And, for what its worth, Lolla does indeed suck. Worst PJ show I ever saw and I regretted buying a 3 day pass with every day of that festival. Talk about a cashgrab by everyone involved!
    i agree
    metsfan wrote:
    festivals are better cause you don't have to put up with elitist 10c members who get tired of evenflow or daughter and would rather hear rats or something...
    i also agree. i like the rare songs but its just fucking disrespectful to walk out on a song, especially when you are in the very first rows
  • metsfan wrote:

i see a PJ/SG spring and summer tour for this year. do 15 dates on the east coast before europe and some west coast dates in the fall around the 20th anny show. i can't see SG not touring with PJ if matt is gonna be in both bands. it makes sense for a double bill in that regards and bringing in the big bucks. again this is all just somewhat logical guessing and wishful thinking on my part.

i can't picture a full PJ/SG tour...maybe a few shows....but isn't it fun to speculate? i'm itchy for some real news but i refuse to join the bitchfest....we'll hear things when there's something to hear.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status

i can't picture a full PJ/SG tour...maybe a few shows....but isn't it fun to speculate? i'm itchy for some real news but i refuse to join the bitchfest....we'll hear things when there's something to hear.
    i love speculating and coming up with these weird ass pipe dreams. agreed on not joining on the bitch fest. good things come to those who wait
    gndcd402 wrote:
    i also agree. i like the rare songs but its just fucking disrespectful to walk out on a song, especially when you are in the very first rows
    +1

it's flat out disrespectful to leave during a song front row or not. only time you should ever get up is for a quick beer/piss break or smoke break in the smoking area outside the venue.

• Chicago Tribune seems to think SG are in for Lolla.

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/ ... -day-.html
  • metsfan wrote:

As awesome as PJ/SG playing together would be, could Matt really handle that?? Between two sets, that would be 4-5 hours a night for him. These guys aren't getting any younger!

Who knows whats going to happen, but I'm itching for some news big time!
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    Ahhhh.. I just read this on Billboard. I understand people are frustrated that people keep talking about whether PJ is going to tour and all that, but things like this keep coming out and it's impossible to just ignore it. And I think we all know Billboard is a pretty reliable PJ source.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I doubt Pearl Jam is gonna be playing lolla anytime soon. they headlined 3 years ago.

Those headlines are pretty MEH (besides Soundgarden OBVIOUSLY). Lady Gaga? Seriously? what garbage. Green Day is a giant blah for me and those other 2 bands I dont really care for.

Agree. Especially considering the ticket $ for this event. No thanks.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    lollapalooza could make so much money this year by having a 1992 lolla reunion.

soundgarden, pearl jam, and the chili peppers. how fucking amazing would that be.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • poto101poto101 Posts: 406
    lollapalooza could make so much money this year by having a 1992 lolla reunion.

soundgarden, pearl jam, and the chili peppers. how fucking amazing would that be.

Sick, yes. Money, no.

and aren't the chili peppers done for a while? i thought i read this somewhere.

As for the money, they need more relevant headliners. lolla will continue to have a throw back (ie: janes addiction, nine inch nails, pearl jam) from its early days, but the other headliners are gonna be bands that are more relevent to the time because they are on the charts at the moment from a newer album. top 40 bands= ticket sales.

Also, they need to appeal to a mass audience. while i LOVE soundgarden, PJ and the peppers, the young crowd may not be as thrilled. THe PBR drinking hipsters who spend wayy too much time on pitchfork would complain that it wasn't indie enough. plus, the frat boys that bring their girlfriends along need to have a band they would get dragged to seeing, like yeah yeah yeahs or in this year's case, lady gaga.

you just don't have that type of lineup with soundgarden, chili peppers and PJ. in the end, it's all about ticket sales, not a legendary lineup
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)