How can i swith between two amps?

pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,673
edited February 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
i want to use one amp for clean tone and one for dirty tone, do i just need a volume pedal to pan between the amps (and if so can i blend the sound , a little from both) or do i need an a/b switch or pedal or something... thanks!!!
Virginia Beach 2000
DC 2003
DC 2004 (VFC)
DC 2006
Pittsburgh 2006
Bonnaroo 2008
Virginia Beach 2008
DC 2008
Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
PJ 20 night 1
PJ 20 night 2
Phoenix 2013
LA 1 2013
Memphis 2014
Jacksonville 2016
Greenville 2016
Hampton 2016
Columbia 2016
Fenway 1 2016
Fenway 2 2016
Wrigley 1 2018
Wrigley 2 2018
Fenway 1 2018
Fenway 2 2018
Sea Hear Now 2021
Nashville 2022
Louisville 2022
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• There are certain volume pedals, or A/B switches.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • An A-B pedal gives you choice of 100% output to amp A, or 100% of output to amp B. An A-B-Y has those two options, but also adds the ability to split output 50%/50% between A and B.

You may be more interested in a Volume/Pan pedal:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=152102

That would give you the ability to swell between clean and dirty, and choose more or less degrees of dirty amp vs. clean amp. Mike used a set-up like this back during the '98 Yield tour, very cool. I actually use a Morley A-B-Y pedal to switch between channels on a single amp (Sovtek Mig 50) and it works great for that. If I was buying a pedal now for that purpose, though, I'd probably recommend the Radial stuff, as their stuff is always top-notch quality.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Not the best idea but on some mod pedals, there are two outputs. You can do that too but MIG gave the two best options.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    I'm pretty sure both stone and mike used a volume pedal in the early 90's to switch between dirty marshall amp and their clean amp, being able to get an infinite mix of both by mixing sounds. you can see mike using it on some early videos.

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    An A-B pedal gives you choice of 100% output to amp A, or 100% of output to amp B. An A-B-Y has those two options, but also adds the ability to split output 50%/50% between A and B.

You may be more interested in a Volume/Pan pedal:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=152102

That would give you the ability to swell between clean and dirty, and choose more or less degrees of dirty amp vs. clean amp. Mike used a set-up like this back during the '98 Yield tour, very cool. I actually use a Morley A-B-Y pedal to switch between channels on a single amp (Sovtek Mig 50) and it works great for that. If I was buying a pedal now for that purpose, though, I'd probably recommend the Radial stuff, as their stuff is always top-notch quality.

yup. what he said. very informative post, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Pappas wrote:
    I'm pretty sure both stone and mike used a volume pedal in the early 90's to switch between dirty marshall amp and their clean amp, being able to get an infinite mix of both by mixing sounds. you can see mike using it on some early videos.
    Yeah, they used the "pan pedal" from Ernie Ball
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy