Riot happening in Vancouver right now!!

vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
WTF?

At Robson & Georgia - apparently smashing up the Hudson's Bay.... :x :x :x

Jeez...I agree that the money spent on the olympics by our goverment would have been better spent on health care and education and helping the homeless...but c'mon!

And a lot of these protester/rioters aren't even from Canada!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... pStoriesV2

Thanks to TVismyfriend!!! :D
be philanthropic
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Link?
  • wtf? why post this with no info, link?
    I'll be back
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    no link yet...just mentioned on the live coverage on CTV....
    be philanthropic
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,697
    They should round up all the protesters and through them in jail. Yeah we spent alot of money on the Olympics. But look at the money it brings in also. I'm so sick of people protesting things, just get over it and move on or move to some other country if things are so bad here.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Anything I can find says it was from last night. Two officers injured.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Anything I can find says it was from last night. Two officers injured.
    So, what exactly are these people protesting about?

What is their big issue with the Vancouver Olympics?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Again? Didn't they already have protests on Friday?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    link please
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    any video to watch?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • how much gov't money is being spent on damage control/repairs from these rioters?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I can see if people riot against an oppressive regime or dictatorship, but what real good will come out of these violent protests against the Olympics in Vancouver?

No matter how irresponsible people may think the city's investment in the games may be, broken glass & bashed heads will only put the city in even higher debt.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    They are destroying private property, so they are not hurting the government but hurting individuals who in turn will file insurance claims and people's insurance will go up. Are these people not terrorist? They are causing terror to prove a point! Maybe we should round them up and put them on trial as terrorist, even if we don't get a conviction, it will send a message and cost these brain dead idiots thousands upon thousands in legal fees, but hopefully a judge will convict and these folks can spend a good long while in the pokie.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • i didnt know canadians got violent over non-hockey related issues... ;)

sidenote: can they possible make these olympics MORE boring?? i turned it on for 10 minutes today to see another luge death and they did nothing but talk... no wonder its such a money pit
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lukin2006 wrote:
    They are destroying private property, so they are not hurting the government but hurting individuals who in turn will file insurance claims and people's insurance will go up. Are these people not terrorist? They are causing terror to prove a point! Maybe we should round them up and put them on trial as terrorist, even if we don't get a conviction, it will send a message and cost these brain dead idiots thousands upon thousands in legal fees, but hopefully a judge will convict and these folks can spend a good long while in the pokie.
    put em in gitmo and just forget bout em for a few years like america does with its "terrorist"
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    if you're referring to the "riot" of this morning, it was 200 people and they DO NOT represent most of those who are aiming to protest the games peacefully.

ps...
    and i hate them for that!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    This explains a lot:

Police said the anarchists travel to any event that attracts media coverage and "promote anarchy wherever they go."

While some protesters beat drums and chanted slogans, such as "Homes not Games" and "No Olympics on stolen native land," others marched down the streets chanting "Revolution" and "Insurrection."

SFU security expert Andre Gerolymatos told ctvbc.ca Saturday that anarchists might latch on to whatever issues there are in the communities they are in, but their ultimate goal is to provoke police and make them look bad in front of TV cameras.
    http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... shColumbia

Thanks, Steph!!

I wish these morons could find someway to use their anger constructively...try to be part of the solution, you know?
    be philanthropic
    http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100213/bc_olympics_who_are_anarchists_100213/20100213?hub=BritishColumbia

Thanks, Steph!!

I wish these morons could find someway to use their anger constructively...try to be part of the solution, you know?
    completely agree.
    their presence is so pointless! they're not even protesting anything, there just htere to make vancouver protesters look bad and cause havoc for tourists and the city.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    The thing I don't get about these Anti-Olympics protesters is what is the damn point. I mean I get that they don't want Vancouver hosting the Olympics. But at this point do they actually think they are going to be able to get the games stopped. I mean the games have already started, so why not think of something better, or more constructive to do with your time.
    The riot today had nothing to do with the Olympics...it was just to make Vancouver, Canada, and our police/RCMP look bad...one of them was yelling "this is on worldwide TV!!"

The regular, more peaceful demonstrations are about how much money was diverted from the many issues (homelessness, health care, education, ect.) that BC faces on a daily basis. The cuts to all the programs we've experienced here (ironically even ameteur sports) have been horrific...and many more cuts are coming after the Olympics...But I think national pride and even patriotism might be giving the protesters a run for their money.

The incident this AM largely involved people not from this area and have no idea what the issues really are.
    be philanthropic
    The thing I don't get about these Anti-Olympics protesters is what is the damn point. I mean I get that they don't want Vancouver hosting the Olympics. But at this point do they actually think they are going to be able to get the games stopped. I mean the games have already started, so why not think of something better, or more constructive to do with your time.
    "these" people aren't the anti-olympic protesters (the people this thread is about I mean)

To answer your question, its obviously true that the games aren't going to stop. I guess the point is to get the message across to Gordon Campbell that he has spent taxpayers money recklessly and also has upset a lot of people in regards to land issues.

I don't support the violence by these ass holes pretending to be Vancouver protesters (which they aren't even FROM BC reports are saying now)... but if they were to throw a mail box into a window smashing it to pieces and Gordon Campbell just HAPPENED to be walking by and a large shard of broken glass flew through the air and by pure timing slashed the jugular artery below his smug face then...well... I guess I'm saying I wouldn't have a problem with that. ;)
    Of course he would have a hard time finding a surgery room with all the ones he's closed, and an even harder time finding one now since they've halted even more procedures so people can watch curling instead of getting a life-threatening heart operation. :roll:
    And life-threatening operations are what they're in for because of the contracting out of cleaning services to people who's housekeeping skills are sub-par. I can't believe how dirty the hospital where I work is. No wonder people get fleshing-eating bacteria and staph infections and die from "complications" following surgery....

But hey, Cypress Mountain sure looks great and Vancouver is relatively tidy, right?

Despite about feeling bitter about the budget cuts to essential services etc, I'm still gonna watch the games and I'm still gonna be proud of our athletes...
    be philanthropic
    And life-threatening operations are what they're in for because of the contracting out of cleaning services to people who's housekeeping skills are sub-par. I can't believe how dirty the hospital where I work is. No wonder people get fleshing-eating bacteria and staph infections and die from "complications" following surgery....

But hey, Cypress Mountain sure looks great and Vancouver is relatively tidy, right?

Despite about feeling bitter about the budget cuts to essential services etc, I'm still gonna watch the games and I'm still gonna be proud of our athletes...
    You and I are on the same page!! :)
    BUT SHHHHH, you're not supposed to talk about what's actually happening inside the hospital... :roll:
    The after school sports was just pure irony. "Hey kids, we're going to cut these programs...but have a Big Mac and you'll become an Olympian anyways!"

Campbell still gets his 54% raise though.
  • They must have come straight from a AC/DC concert.....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    They must have come straight from a AC/DC concert.....
    HA actually it was Guns N Roses that got them goin last time :lol:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    put em in gitmo and just forget bout em for a few years like america does with its "terrorist"

If that's what it takes...they are destroying private property, I really don't care what happens to them once they are arrested. You can demonstrate peacefully without terrorizing and destroying people's property.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon