Is there something about Mike?

RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
edited February 2010 in The Porch
If you really think about it Stone, Ed, and jeff write way more songs (the music parts of them) than Mike, but after people listen to them enough they tend to get sick of them. Where I've never heard anyone say that they were sick of Yellow Ledbetter, Given to Fly, or State of Love and Trust, all written musically by Mike. This makes me think, what separates these songs from others? Why dosn't he write more song? I think it's because his songs have more varity in the riffs. To the other question I have many theroys. He might just be lazy, because he did write GTF and Faithfull in one day while he was snowed in his house, so one might think that if he can do that in one day that hes just not willing to put in the time. Or he just saves a bunch of riffs for one song instead of using one or two and making it a song like the others tend to do, or he saves them for his face melting solos. Anyone else agree or disagree?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    RiotZact wrote:
    If you really think about it Stone, Ed, and jeff write way more songs (the music parts of them) than Mike, but after people listen to them enough they tend to get sick of them. Where I've never heard anyone say that they were sick of Yellow Ledbetter, Given to Fly, or State of Love and Trust, all written musically by Mike. This makes me think, what separates these songs from others? Why dosn't he write more song? I think it's because his songs have more varity in the riffs. To the other question I have many theroys. He might just be lazy, because he did write GTF and Faithfull in one day while he was snowed in his house, so one might think that if he can do that in one day that hes just not willing to put in the time. Or he just saves a bunch of riffs for one song instead of using one or two and making it a song like the others tend to do, or he saves them for his face melting solos. Anyone else agree or disagree?

I kinda see where your going but cant agree because I dont really get fed up with any of the songs.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    philthehip wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

I kinda see where your going but cant agree because I dont really get fed up with any of the songs.

Which songs Mikes or the others'?
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    RiotZact wrote:
    philthehip wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Which songs Mikes or the others'?

All of them I would say, I get a little bored of Green Disease, Pilate and Save You but apart from them I really do love every song and thats not to say I dont enjoy them just that I dont listen to all that often.
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,668
    "Given to Fly" is one of my least favorite live PJ songs. Love the others you mentioned.
    I kinda see where your going but cant agree because I dont really get fed up with any of the songs.[/quote]

Which songs Mikes or the others'?[/quote]

All of them I would say, I get a little bored of Green Disease, Pilate and Save You but apart from them I really do love every song and thats not to say I dont enjoy them just that I dont listen to all that often.[/quote]

Oh ya, personaly I agree I'm just going off of what alot of other fans say
    MG79478 wrote:
    "Given to Fly" is one of my least favorite live PJ songs. Love the others you mentioned.

Ya I think it sounds weird live too, but still havn't ever heard any body say they liked it then got bored with it like jermey or Alive or.......... i could go on and on
  • Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    Personally, I'm really sick of Yellow Ledbetter because I've seen it end so many shows. It's always bittersweet.

I've thought for a long time that the songs that really grow are Stone's. His rhythms are unusual, and after the adjustment period they sound natural.

Plus, Eddie's songs have gotten a lot better the last few albums. I love his punkish stylings.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • otterotter Posts: 760
    Ahhhhh......

Inside Job.
    What a masterpiece.

The lazy concept is interesting. I always thought he got bullied by the big shots, Ed and Stone.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • RiotZact wrote:
    If you really think about it Stone, Ed, and jeff write way more songs (the music parts of them) than Mike, but after people listen to them enough they tend to get sick of them. Where I've never heard anyone say that they were sick of Yellow Ledbetter, Given to Fly, or State of Love and Trust, all written musically by Mike.

So interesting that you metion this...my absolute favorite that I never get sick of is Present Tense, which just happens to be co-written by Mike....go figure..I'm with you.
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    MG79478 wrote:
    COMPLETE AND UTTER BLASPHEMY
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    RiotZact wrote:

Hmmm...not sure.

Ed easily writes the best lyrics, and Stone easily writes the best music IMO.

Yellow Ledbetter music wise is really a Little Wing ripoff
    Given to Fly music wise is damn near close to Going to California
    SOLAT is just easy-simple guitar work...nothing special.

Don't get me wrong, I like those three songs, but none are really "groundbreaking" work.
  • MG79478 wrote:
    "Given to Fly" is one of my least favorite live PJ songs.
    :wtf:
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    mca47 wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Hmmm...not sure.

Ed easily writes the best lyrics, and Stone easily writes the best music IMO.

Yellow Ledbetter music wise is really a Little Wing ripoff
    Given to Fly music wise is damn near close to Going to California
    SOLAT is just easy-simple guitar work...nothing special.

Don't get me wrong, I like those three songs, but none are really "groundbreaking" work.

yeah Good Point!...'Lukin' is "Groundbreaking"...
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    RiotZact wrote:
    If you really think about it Stone, Ed, and jeff write way more songs (the music parts of them) than Mike...He might just be lazy, because he did write GTF and Faithfull in one day while he was snowed in his house, so one might think that if he can do that in one day that hes just not willing to put in the time.

I'm gonna tell him you said this when I talk to him at the end of the month! ;)
    be philanthropic
  • I read something from Mike from about a year ago where he said he had about 75 songs written and he was going to bring some of them to the table for Backspacer. Don't ask me where it is now, but I'm positive I read that.
  • inside job is my favorite
    He is great with the lyrics, he needs to write more songs!
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Milke's songs tend to be more upbeat or positive or both.

Given to Fly
    Faithful
    Brain of J
    Save You
    Down
    Present Tense
    Marker in the Sand
    Inside Job
    Force of Nature

I think he is a great balance to the other guys and has written some of my all time favorite PJ songs.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • RiotZact wrote:
    Why dosn't he write more song? I think it's because his songs have more varity in the riffs. To the other question I have many theroys. He might just be lazy

For all you know, Mike could have written 1,000 songs. That doesn't mean they are good enough to make an album. Or maybe he really isn't a songwriter. That doesn't mean he's lazy.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Is there something about Mike?

YEAH, HE IS THE FUCKING MAN!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
This discussion has been closed.