Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

2»

Comments

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    samjam wrote:
    Another book I was thinking of choosing is 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert Pirsig-- has anyone read that one? Thoughts?

I never got around to that one.
    I adore Dr. Gonzo
    >

Read the book a bunch of times but if you really want a whirl wind read the Great Shark Hunt or any of the other "compilation" books. They are all killer.
    He reminds me alot of Eddie Vedder in the fact they both have this overwhelming sense of humor and whit that can cut you like a knife and while you come to them for music or literature you always leave with something else and it is always more than you expected no matter the level of your expectations.

True.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Byrnzie wrote:
    samjam wrote:
    Another book I was thinking of choosing is 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert Pirsig-- has anyone read that one? Thoughts?

I never got around to that one.

Yep. I liked it. Another road trip story with life lessons thrown in.
  • You may also enjoy the movie...
    Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    Hold On
    You may also enjoy the movie...
    Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

It's not bad, but It's mainly a rehash of a few other documentaries made earlier: 'Fear & Loathing in Gonzovision [BBC 1978]', 'Breakfast with Hunter [2003]', and 'Buy the Ticket, Take The Ride' [2006].
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Byrnzie wrote:
    i bought the book back in the early 1980's. read it and laughed real hard. then lost the book somehow and bought it again years later. still laughed real hard. best 1st chapter ever. i bought the 25th year edition hard cover too.

love ralph steadman too

johnny depp did a killer hunter

love curse of lono as well...glad i held onto that book cause it's worth over $150 now :shock:

I had a copy of 'The Curse of Lono' but lost it. I think I lent it to someone and never got it back. :x

love curse of lono!

the artwork is AMAZING.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    samjam wrote:
    Funny this was mentioned---this book was on the list of a bunch of books I have to choose from for a project in my Contemporary American Society class (im a senior in high school)
    I'm fascinated by the '60s and it looks like a crazy, interesting read.

I love HST, actually currently working my way through all of his books again, read Fear and Loathing a couple of weeks ago. On 'The Great Shark Hunt" currently.

As great as the Doctor is though Pirsig's book is much better. It's basically a philosophy book and very deep. 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' is my all time favorite book, it's so deep it requires more than one reading.

We can't stop here...this is bat country!
    #FHP
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Horos wrote:
    samjam wrote:
    Funny this was mentioned---this book was on the list of a bunch of books I have to choose from for a project in my Contemporary American Society class (im a senior in high school)
    I'm fascinated by the '60s and it looks like a crazy, interesting read.

I love HST, actually currently working my way through all of his books again, read Fear and Loathing a couple of weeks ago. On 'The Great Shark Hunt" currently.

As great as the Doctor is though Pirsig's book is much better. It's basically a philosophy book and very deep. 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' is my all time favorite book, it's so deep it requires more than one reading.

We can't stop here...this is bat country!

I hear you on Zen, I had to read it for Philosophy in college and while I enjoyed it very much, it is definitely something I am going to have to read again. It is sitting on my book shelf and hopefully I will get to it soon.
    Well this is pretty fantastic. I read yesterday The Rum Diary was made into a movie starring Johnny Depp once again and is due out late this year. Great news.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Well this is pretty fantastic. I read yesterday The Rum Diary was made into a movie starring Johnny Depp once again and is due out late this year. Great news.

they finally went through with it? it was suppose to be made years ago, but when hunter died, everything was put on a sudden hold. i hope they completed it, that would be great news. i really enjoyed the book.
    any suggestions for my next HST read?

i've read rum diary, las vegas, curse of lono.
    rival. wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

they finally went through with it? it was suppose to be made years ago, but when hunter died, everything was put on a sudden hold. i hope they completed it, that would be great news. i really enjoyed the book.

I believe it looks like they did from this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/
    rival. wrote:

How about Hells Angels? It's a good one.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

+1. Great book. Can't believe he risked himself. I've started reading The Proud Highway and it's pretty good from what I've read.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

+1. Great book. Can't believe he risked himself. I've started reading The Proud Highway and it's pretty good from what I've read.

hmm. checking out hells angels on amazon, think that is next in line!

thanks!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,979
    Get 'Songs For The Doomed' - good book for toilet sits.
  • Thank you thank you thank you for posting! ! I've known that this was in the works but have never seen a trailer. That last scene had me cracking up...gonna have to re-read this.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah, man. Long time in the making. Better be good.
    Thank you thank you thank you for posting! ! I've known that this was in the works but have never seen a trailer. That last scene had me cracking up...gonna have to re-read this.

No problem man. Looks good I think. Definitely go to re-read it before I see this. Pumped though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah, man. Long time in the making. Better be good.
    I hope so. Gonna have to re-read it.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    Can't wait for RD!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/news/johnny-dep ... film-.html
    He's excited about his next project, The Rum Diary, which hits theaters on Oct. 28. He was researching his 1998 movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with Hunter S. Thompson when they discovered the manuscript for The Rum Diary in Thompson's basement.

"I pulled it out. I was like ‘What is this?’ Hunter was like, “Oh, s--t, The Rum Diary ... Hunter didn’t know it was there," Depp says.