Frequent Traveler Thread

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
This thread is for those who travel a lot. Whether for work or pleasure...this is for those of us who have "experienced it all".

I travel a lot for work. I fly 1-2x per week (mostly regional).

My preferred:
Airline: Southwest
Hotel: Hilton
Car Rental: Avis

My preferred airline is Southwest.
For a frequent traveler there is nobody better.

Fly-by security line (A-list), easy to obtain free flights (anywhere!), free drink coupons, half-full flights...
My #2 is US Air (local hub).

Preferred hotel is Hilton.
Decent hotels, and you can double-dip on Southwest points. Every stay also adds half a credit to your status.

Preferred car rental is Avis.
Also double dip, but once you reach Avis First status and beyond you get some damn sweet cars!
You also get free weekends and "reward days".

Who else out there are frequent travelers?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I travel from LA to NorCal every week. I head up here on Sunday night, and leave Friday night. I used to average 2 weeks a month, a year ago, and 1 week a month 2 years ago, now I'm up here all month.

I travel to Oakland, San Jose, and Sacramento mostly. For work in San Jose, Berkley, San Fran, Sacramento, Modesto, and Lodi.

My preferred:
    Airline: Southwest (Book with Swabiz)
    Hotel: La Quinta or whatever 3 star I get from Priceline for around $60.00 mostly Doubletree.
    Car Rental: Whichever gives the most triple southwest points at the time

My preferred airline is Southwest. (This is all I fly for work)
    For a frequent traveler there is nobody better. (completely agree)

Fly-by security line (A-list), easy to obtain free flights (anywhere!), free drink coupons, half-full flights...
    YES TO ALL OF THESE. SWABIZ BOOKS YOU DOUBLE POINTS AS WELL.

Preferred hotel is La Quinta. I hate the 'better' hotels. I'm allergic to down and don't want to sleep with the geese. It's a pain to call and get those removed and the residue is everywhere like cat dander.
    I have a complete expense account, but enjoy the free breakfast, free wireless internet, ease of parking in front of my room, and the room is adequate. I have only started staying here in the last 6 months and I have 6 free nights saved up from joining the Elite Membership club. All the 'better' hotels nickle and dime for parking, internet, ridiculous $4.00 water bottles. Even though my company would pay for all that I rebel against that B.S.

Preferred car rental is whoever gets me the points for Southwest. This week it is Alamo. Last week it was Hertz.

My wife and I love to travel and that is our main hobby, although it is tougher with the kids now.

My six year old son has been a lot of places, cause we tried to travel a lot before we needed to get him a ticket.

Japan X5 (wife is from here), Korea, El Salvador, Hawaii, Alaska, Orlando, Boston X5 (I'm from here), NYC, All of Cali, Phoenix, London, Dublin, North Conway.

Prior to meeting my wife I traveled to Europe and Asia. Including 4 months through Japan, Korea, China, Nepal, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore. That was a sweet trip.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    What I also like about Southwest is how the flight attendants actually treat you like an actual...person.

I also fly the other guys if Southwest isn't an option and I don't know how people use other airlines for frequent travel. Granted it really depends on where you live, but still.

My main work-travel places are LA, San Diego, Vegas so it works out perfectly. Because they have flights pretty much every hour, if I get done early getting an earlier flight couldn't be easier. Also, if you miss a flight they don't seem to care either! :D

Of the domestic airlines this is how I rank 'em.

1) Southwest
    2) US Air
    3) Delta/Northwest (Although I hate flying through Atlanta)
    4) Continental
    5) United
    6) American

I realize there are the "big guys". I'd put Jet Blue, Air Tran, Frontier others probably in the middle.