A Bud Selig statue? WTF?

WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,979
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Updated: February 8, 2010, 2:09 PM ET
Bud Selig to be honored with statue

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Brewers are erecting a statue of baseball commissioner Bud Selig outside Miller Park and will unveil it on Aug. 24.

Selig headed a group that bought the Seattle Pilots in bankruptcy court in 1970, moved the franchise to Milwaukee and renamed it the Brewers. He became acting commissioner in 1992 and took the job full-time six years later, turning control of the team over to his daughter, Wendy Selig-Prieb. The Selig family sold the team to a group headed by Mark Attanasio in 2005.

"The Brewers and Miller Park are in this city because of the commissioner's vision and dedicated efforts," Attanasio said Monday.

Selig's foundation donated statues of Hank Aaron and Robin Yount that were unveiled when Miller Park opened in 2001. Selig's statue, which will be more than 7 feet tall, will be built by the same designer, Brian Maughan.

This thing is going to be a real "must see." :roll: :wtf:
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Now I'm not one to advocate crime, but, I would LOVE for that statue to be vandalized, like every day! :lol:

Also, do any Brewers fans actual like him?
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Are they going to put an asterisk above his head and put needles by his feet?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,979
    go get him, boys! :shifty:

1207326244122.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Was this his decision?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    bud selig covered in pigeon shit...sounds good to me!
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    "The Milwaukee Brewers are erecting a statue of baseball commissioner Bud Selig outside Miller Park and will unveil it on Aug. 24."

doesn't he own the brewers? so he is building a statue to honor himself?

doesn't he own the brewers? so he is building a statue to honor himself?

He used to. For the past 18 years, he's been making millions ($18m, last year) by playing dumb.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I don't know squat about MLB, as I'm not a follower so pardon me being obtuse. But what is the deal with this guy? Why is he so disliked? Am I missing something that is completely obvious?? :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I don't know squat about MLB, as I'm not a follower so pardon me being obtuse. But what is the deal with this guy? Why is he so disliked? Am I missing something that is completely obvious?? :?

He over saw the entire steroids era and did nothing about it, especially when it was clear to almost everyone in baseball that a shit load of players were juicing. He is pretty incompetent, although one could argue revenues are much higher today than they were when he took over.

He also declared the all-star game a tie and had a member of the Boston Red Sox front office, George Mitchell conduct an incredibly unsuccessful investigation into steroid use.
  • 6a00d834518cc969e20111686af1e5970c-800wi
    I'm not sayin' anything
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    dcfaithful wrote:
    same here. i know zip about this guy.
    i admit, i am lost.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    same here. i know zip about this guy.
    i admit, i am lost.

disclaimer: I can't stand Bud Selig.

Bud made his money as a used car salesman in Milwaukee. He was a big Braves fan; the Braves moved to Atlanta and he later purchased the Seattle Pilots and brought them to Milwaukee in 1970 (good for him). He was an OK owner, I guess. In the mid-1980's, many of the owners colluded among themselves to keep free agent salaries as low as they could. Bud was one of these owners. The then Commissioner (Fay Vincent) sided with the players and the owners (big surprise) wanted Vincent out. In 1992, they replaced Vincent with their lackey, Bud Selig.

Since 1992, Bud has introduced interleague play (a worn out and patently unfair novelty), wild card teams (I'm ambivalent about this) and a new twist on the All Star Game (winning league gets home field advantage for the World Series - a ridiculous rule). To his credit, Bud has revitalized baseball from a revenue standpoint....but he made a deal with the Devil in order to do it. While McGwire and Sosa were bringing baseball back from the strike year of 1994, Bud conveniently looked the other way on steroids. OK.....so did everyone else...owners, players, managers, trainers, fans, sportswriters, etc. When Bud was given the names of McGwire and Canseco in 1993 (as the result of a steroid bust), he did nothing. OK....I can even understand that (from a business standpoint).

What makes my blood boil NOW about this guy is that he continues to throw stones at the players in the "so-called steroids era" (his words) while never acknowledging that anyone in power had anything to do with facilitating the era. It's always "the players and the Union." He wants to come off as a "guardian of the game" when he is really just an overpaid, head in the sand, disingenuous lackey. For his "leadership," MLB (i.e. his crony owners) pays him $18.35M per year ($50,000+ per DAY). Fuck Bud Selig and fuck his statue!

End of rant.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    interleauge is huge in chicago
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    For a long long time I believed Bug Selig to be the worst professional sports commissioner to ever be.

Now, David "cock sucker" Stern owns that title with the NBA, and in comparison, Selig isn't half bad.
    81 wrote:
    interleauge is huge in chicago

yeah, but (quoting Jayson Stark) "we all know North America hasn't exactly been clamoring for a Reds-Blue Jays interleague series. Or A's-Diamondbacks. Or Pirates-Twins. But North America is going to get those series this year whether it wants them or not." I would say keep the natural rivalries (Cubs-Sox) but too many teams don't have (and never will have) a "natural rival" so what do you do with them?
    aNiMaL wrote:
    For a long long time I believed Bug Selig to be the worst professional sports commissioner to ever be.

Now, David "cock sucker" Stern owns that title with the NBA, and in comparison, Selig isn't half bad.

Is this because of the Sonics? :shock: Yeah, I wouldn't erect a statue for the "cock sucker" either. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    imalive wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

Is this because of the Sonics? :shock: Yeah, I wouldn't erect a statue for the "cock sucker" either. :lol:
    Yeah, it's about The Sonics. Still hurts.

And isn't it ironic that it was Bud Selig who took our first sports team, The Seattle Pilots, and moved them to Milwaukee (Brewers) back in the early 70's.

In hindsight, Selig gets no kudos in compassion to Stern; they're both terrible commissioners.
    aNiMaL wrote:

In hindsight, Selig gets no kudos in compassion to Stern; they're both terrible commissioners.

That's the problem - they're not really commissioners....they're lackeys to the billionaire owners. I truly believe neither one of these pukes really cares about "the game".....they care about $$$$$

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:

disclaimer: I can't stand Bud Selig.

Bud made his money as a used car salesman in Milwaukee. He was a big Braves fan; the Braves moved to Atlanta and he later purchased the Seattle Pilots and brought them to Milwaukee in 1970 (good for him). He was an OK owner, I guess. In the mid-1980's, many of the owners colluded among themselves to keep free agent salaries as low as they could. Bud was one of these owners. The then Commissioner (Fay Vincent) sided with the players and the owners (big surprise) wanted Vincent out. In 1992, they replaced Vincent with their lackey, Bud Selig.

Since 1992, Bud has introduced interleague play (a worn out and patently unfair novelty), wild card teams (I'm ambivalent about this) and a new twist on the All Star Game (winning league gets home field advantage for the World Series - a ridiculous rule). To his credit, Bud has revitalized baseball from a revenue standpoint....but he made a deal with the Devil in order to do it. While McGwire and Sosa were bringing baseball back from the strike year of 1994, Bud conveniently looked the other way on steroids. OK.....so did everyone else...owners, players, managers, trainers, fans, sportswriters, etc. When Bud was given the names of McGwire and Canseco in 1993 (as the result of a steroid bust), he did nothing. OK....I can even understand that (from a business standpoint).

What makes my blood boil NOW about this guy is that he continues to throw stones at the players in the "so-called steroids era" (his words) while never acknowledging that anyone in power had anything to do with facilitating the era. It's always "the players and the Union." He wants to come off as a "guardian of the game" when he is really just an overpaid, head in the sand, disingenuous lackey. For his "leadership," MLB (i.e. his crony owners) pays him $18.35M per year ($50,000+ per DAY). Fuck Bud Selig and fuck his statue!

End of rant.

:thumbup:

Had I known more about this guy, I still couldn't have said it any better. While sporting is a "business", and maybe I can comprehend why he made the decisions he did based on that side of it, it still deserves integrity. As long as I have actually somewhat been paying attention all I have heard associated with MLB was steroids, but hearing this just disappoints me to the fullest.

Also, I couldn't agree more about the rule stating that the winning league of the All-Star game gets the home field advantage in the World Series.
    imalive wrote:

That's the problem - they're not really commissioners....they're lackeys to the billionaire owners. I truly believe neither one of these pukes really cares about "the game".....they care about $$$$$

Exactly. They're corporate leeches.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2