Lookin for effects recomendations

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
edited February 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I plan on buyin a Fulltone OCD and Deluxe Clyde wah in the next few weeks, but I have more money to spend.

Anybody have anything to suggest? It can be something indispensable or the craziest noise you've ever heard, your favorite pedal, best pedal you've heard, played, seen. I've got my necessities taken care of, but there's always room for more.

The pedals I run..........Boss tuner, EHX Soul Preacher(compressor), Catalinbread Ottava Magus, Big Muff, Boss dd20, Dunlop Rotovibe, Gigfx Chopper, Russian Small Stone

I have given thought to an analog delay and the compressor is a little weak but I use it so sparingly I dunno if I can justify an upgrade, but then again, maybe I'd use a really good compressor alot.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• punkmattpunkmatt Posts: 122
    Ibanez Keeley modded tube screamer. Or I'd check out a Digitech whammy wah, or a pog (poly octave generator) if you want some crazy ass sounds. Also the new Digitech Hardwire series are considered boutique pedals under 200.00.

try em all I say!!
    hope this helps
  • Well, if I had your setup and some money lying around I'd go for something crazy. Like some guitar synth, a fuzz octaver, one of those crazy Z-vex pedals or something like that. My advice: You should go to one of those bigger shops (if you live anywhere near one, of course) and take some time to play around with a lot of stuff. You might just find something there. And if not, you ca still have a lot of fun in the process. At least that's what I'd do...
  • Maybe a straight chorus?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • If I had extra money right now to blow on pedals, without a hesitation I'd get an Electro-Harmonix POG2 and an MXR Carbon Copy.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • If I had extra money right now to blow on pedals, without a hesitation I'd get an Electro-Harmonix POG2 and an MXR Carbon Copy.
    +1 to the carbon copy...what a great pedal....its an essential part of my rig...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Keeley Java Boost...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    MJM Sixties Vibe - do it, do it!

http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/vibe.htm
  • Carbon Copy=Amazing analog delay but pretty touchy
    Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay=Very warm tone but not too versatile
    Fender Blender=The most disgusting and obnoxious octave fuzz pedal, ever
    BBE Soul Vibe=I love this pedal. I thought my Rotovibe was good but this is better. VERY good at getting the H&K Rotary effect. Since you have money, I'd say go with the H&K Rotosphere
    I eventually wanna get a HOG or a POG because those are sweet. What kind of sound are you trying to get?

Also, the simple chorus is a good idea. Maybe an FL9 Flanger from Ibanez or an MXR Phase 90?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Some awesome responses so far. Looks like I've got some homework to do.

As for what I'm interested in.....If it can mess with the sound of my guitar I may like it. I love some subtlety in my effects, but also like to take it to outer space with a little click of a footswitch. I play probably alotta the same music as most people around here. Classic rockish with the modern touches you'd expect.

I actually just got an FL9 for my b-day. At the very first, I was a hair disappointed, but soon came to the realization that it's simply fantastic sounding. Also added the little Boss footswitch for the external tap tempo, and now I dunno how I ever lived without.
  • DewieCox wrote:

As for what I'm interested in.....If it can mess with the sound of my guitar I may like it. I love some subtlety in my effects, but also like to take it to outer space with a little click of a footswitch. I play probably alotta the same music as most people around here. Classic rockish with the modern touches you'd expect.

I actually just got an FL9 for my b-day. At the very first, I was a hair disappointed, but soon came to the realization that it's simply fantastic sounding. Also added the little Boss footswitch for the external tap tempo, and now I dunno how I ever lived without.
    Wait BOSS footswitch with the FL9? I really need some explanation here, haha!
    DewieCox wrote:

Wait BOSS footswitch with the FL9? I really need some explanation here, haha!

Oopsy... Sorry for the wording. I just got it for my dd20.
    +1 to the carbon copy...what a great pedal....its an essential part of my rig...

+2 on the carbon copy.....its my pride and joy and always makes others salivate with jealousy and desire (think its the sparkly paint work haha)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell

+2 on the carbon copy.....its my pride and joy and always makes others salivate with jealousy and desire (think its the sparkly paint work haha)
    I noticed that I get a lot of compliments on the CC, as well....+3

no. i think it is the awesome blue led (or leds) that comes on when the pedal is on...its a super cool and bright light...it illuminates my whole board...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Sorry to hijack the thread, I noticed you're getting the OCD, how do you feel that compares to the Fulldrive?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Sorry to hijack the thread, I noticed you're getting the OCD, how do you feel that compares to the Fulldrive?
    THREAD HIJACKER!!

All right, sorry. I was wondering about Fulltone's in general and the opinion, too.
  • +2 on the carbon copy.....its my pride and joy and always makes others salivate with jealousy and desire (think its the sparkly paint work haha)[/quote]
    no. i think it is the awesome blue led (or leds) that comes on when the pedal is on...its a super cool and bright light...it illuminates my whole board...[/quote]

true..very true. I recently bought a phase 45 clone which has the same light in it...when they are both on its like having a pink floyd light show at your feet!

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
    Sorry to hijack the thread, I noticed you're getting the OCD, how do you feel that compares to the Fulldrive?
    THREAD HIJACKER!!

All right, sorry. I was wondering about Fulltone's in general and the opinion, too.

The Fulldrive sounds great, but I thought the OCD sounded just as good and is a little simpler.

I also checked into the zvex Box of Rock. Sounds fantastic and I'll probably snag one later, for the "Marshall in a box" capability with my Egnater.

In deciding on the Clyde deluxe, I was recommended a Fulltone and something/anything from RMC....I just think the RMC's are too throaty and almost talk box-y.

I'm gonna take a little more time to decide on the rest, while the other new stuff holds me over.

The Carbon Copy has me droolin for some kinda analog delay and those in particular are sweet sounding, but just wanna see what else is out there.

Just diggin through various sites at all the stuff is mindblowing.

There are some great Univibe clones, when the time comes for an upgrade in that department. Don't think the time is now, but I do use the Roto 2nd most to the delay.

Checkin out some compressors and aside from the "Keeley, Keeley, Keeley!!!" you get everywhere, I checked out the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone. It's hard to compare compressors without playin them, but they seem to be pretty tasty.

I'm just gonna keep diggin. Been gettin tons of ideas from Premier Guitar mag. Some amazing gear in those pages.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Checkin out some compressors and aside from the "Keeley, Keeley, Keeley!!!" you get everywhere, I checked out the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone. It's hard to compare compressors without playin them, but they seem to be pretty tasty.

The Keeley is mostly an MXR DynaComp clone built to boutique quality, with some tonal mods. It's a fabulous compressor, but it's very much a DynaComp-style compressor.

The one pedal I saw recently in Compressor-ville is the Joe Meek FloorQ:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=620070
    It's still not quite a pro compressor, but it's the closest I've seen in a pedal configuration. Being a live/studio soundguy, I'd rather see the typical controls you see on a rack unit, i.e. threshold, ratio, attack and release times, and output gain, plus multi-level LED monitoring of compression in dB's. If someone would put a dbx 160A in a pedal, that would make me a happy panda...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    THREAD HIJACKER!!

You can't do wrong with anything Fulltone. Seriously... quality.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • carbon copy or memory man????
  • carbon copy or memory man????
    Carbon Copy if you're gigging. It's smaller and less to carry.
  • EHX just put out a new delay called deluxe memory boy. I don't know much about it. Maybe it's worth looking into that. Personally, I'd want to have a tap control.
  • EHX just put out a new delay called deluxe memory boy. I don't know much about it. Maybe it's worth looking into that. Personally, I'd want to have a tap control.

I think there is an EHX with tap control but i think most delays with tap are digital...Or not????
  • Well, the EHX website says this one is supposed to be analog.
  • I know you already have a compressor, but I recently got a Keeley and I must tell you that my strat cleans have never been so beautiful. It is without a doubt the best pedal I have ever used, and my tone is so fat and round that I can't stop playing yellow ledbetter.
    "What a geographical anamoly, two weeks from everything"