Large fingers pushing pain.....T.

DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
edited February 2010 in The Porch
I've been spinning No Code in the car on the way to work the past week or so, and I've never really given much thought to the beginning of Sometimes until today. That hard "T" in the first line made me think about why Ed would emphasize it that way. I always thought it was just for frivolous lyrical effect, but maybe he wanted us to know he said "painT" and not "pain." Or maybe he wanted us to know it could be "pain" or "paint." Or maybe I just need more coffee this morning...

Either way, I am loving listening to No Code front-to-back for the first time in a long time. Amazing album.
I smile, but who am I kidding...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I think it's a prefix to the "the colours blend" line.

I love the line "You're god and you've got big hands" cos it reminds me of my Dad (even if its nowhere near the original context of the line) 8-)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    DeLukin wrote:
    I've been spinning No Code in the car on the way to work the past week or so, and I've never really given much thought to the beginning of Sometimes until today. That hard "T" in the first line made me think about why Ed would emphasize it that way. I always thought it was just for frivolous lyrical effect, but maybe he wanted us to know he said "painT" and not "pain." Or maybe he wanted us to know it could be "pain" or "paint." Or maybe I just need more coffee this morning...

Either way, I am loving listening to No Code front-to-back for the first time in a long time. Amazing album.

Yeah, I've always liked that too. Definitely on purpose to leave it up to your interpretation. I think it means God's large fingers pushing paint on a canvas (the world or your life), this big thing shaping your destiny you know, and sometimes that's painful.

Philosophical Brian hasn't had his coffee yet either.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Jennytree wrote:
    I love the line "You're god and you've got big hands" cos it reminds me of my Dad (even if its nowhere near the original context of the line) 8-)

I don't know why but I've always heard that as "You're God and you got me again," as in something bad happening to someone and blaming God for it... :?
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    I actually never noticed that, always thought it was "pain". Now that I've listened to it closely, I can hear it.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    I appreciate threads like this that make me "listen" again.

BTW, how many polaroids are there?
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • DeLukin wrote:

I love little stuff like this and always wondered how many people tuned into that. It also reminds me a little of daughter -- Violins/Violence.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)