First time playing with a drummer

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
My friend from work has played drums for some time, and invited me over to play at his house. I've been playing guitar for about three years now and have started lessons last month. So feeling pretty confident about my playing ability at my level, I didn't think it would be that hard to play with a drummer....well I was wrong. I had a lot of fun, but I had a hard time keeping my amp loud enough to play over the drumming, not only that, I sound really shitty with the vol. turned up, it really highlighted my fuck ups. I also noticed that my tempo was off between verses in a song.

It really never hit me how difficult it really can be, my friend is good guy for dealing with my sloppy playing. I really want to continue playing with other people, but it really put me in my place as to my skill level.
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Having been in a few bands, and being a drummer, guitarist, bassist, pianist, etc. one thing that makes an INCREDIBLE difference is how well you know the people you are playing with. In high school (I'm a junior in college), I started a band with 3 other guys, all 3 being some of my best friends, having know them for a long while. I originally started with vocals, then went to drums b/c we couldnt find a drummer. We never ran into the issue of having all of us mesh with our playing. Obviously we had to practice to fine tune our material, such as our cover of Even Flow, but because we had all known each other for so long, we were all very comfortable with what we could and could NOT do, and it made the experience MUCH easier and more fun.

Jump to college, after being in one band and the guitarist quiting at some point, I auditioned for another band, with guys that seemed cool, but I had never met them before, didn't know what kind of material they were playing, etc. The end result: the EXACT same thing you described. We didn't mesh at all, I was all over the place on drums, not knowing what they were going to do with their playing, since they didn't really know either. In the end, I didn't make it, which looking back was a good thing. But what I'm saying is I know how it feels, but it really does help to know the people well enough. Best of luck!
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    Drums are crazy loud, right! I don't know if you did this or not but it helps to put amps up on a chair or at least lean them back against a wall or something. The idea is to get the speakers pointed more at your ears instead of your legs. We all suck at first, just keep going and it will get better.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Being your first time playing with a drummer, i wouldnt get too worried about it. as previously mentioned you'll get better with practice.
    Some times you'll find you just dont gel musically with some people. I have played with some people ive never met before and felt like id been playing with them for years. Other times you'll play and you'll miss simple timing things cos your not in sync.
    If you standing too close to your amp in a small room the sound can just pass by you as well.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    It was a lot of fun, and want to do it again soon. But I just got comfortable with my playing and it bitch slapped me and made me realize I got a long way to go. Its all good, I just got to work harder at it.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • This guy I have been jamming with since we were teenagers can just start playing anything and be balls on....it is like we each get a sixth sense (timechanges, mood changes, loud, soft, etc). We went to an open jam and playing with other people and took awhile to get in the zone, so to speak.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    What is the min. watts you need in an amp to play in a band? I like my vox vt15 but its not nearly loud enough to be heard over the drums. I have a Fender 25R, but I don't think that will be enough.

I want to maybe get the Vox VT-30 or VT-50.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • What is the min. watts you need in an amp to play in a band? I like my vox vt15 but its not nearly loud enough to be heard over the drums. I have a Fender 25R, but I don't think that will be enough.

A 30 watt tube amp will do it. My dad has a 40 watter that will tear your head off!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • GeertGeert Posts: 101
    What is the min. watts you need in an amp to play in a band? I like my vox vt15 but its not nearly loud enough to be heard over the drums. I have a Fender 25R, but I don't think that will be enough.

I have a Vox VT-30. Great amp.
    But, as a newbie, it's hard for me to find the settings for the real PJ-sound. (I have a MIM Fender Telecaster)
    If somebody has sugestions!
    Antwerp 30-08-2006, Paris 11-09-2006, Berlin 23-09-2006.
    Düsseldorf 21-06-2007, Nijmegen 28-06-2007, Werchter 29-06-2007.
    London Shepherd's Bush 11-08-2009, Rotterdam 13-08-2009.
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010, Berlin 30-06-2010, Arras 04-07-2010,
    Werchter 05-07-2010, Manchester 20-06-2012, Amsterdam 26-06-2012, Amsterdam 27-06-2012, Werchter 29-06-2012, Berlin 04-07-2012, Amsterdam 16-06-2014, Amsterdam 17-06-2014, Werchter 05-07-2014
  • thats one of the things you find out - amp sounds great at low volume, sounds like SHIT at higher volume....you need to tweak it at the loud volume to get it to sound good there, that same settings you use for playing low may not work...sound is a very fickle thing
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I wish PERTH had People to "JAM" with...:(
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    i bought my son a vox 50 watt solid state amp and was just loud enough over my drums, but was pushing it. If you can find a tube amp, I think 30w is fine
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?