Lost motivation to go gym....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else lost their motivation, I just cannot be bothered to go anymore.
And I am paying $86 a month as part of the 12 month membership contract.
How can I become motivated again?
I've lost the weight I wanted to lose when joining, my next goal was to put muscle on but cannot be bothered, I struggle to finish my sets, cannot seem to increase weights, thus I become disheartened thinking ''I suck, I'll never be able to bulk up'' and just give up and leave the gym.
Plus I'm too tired after work to want to move let alone go do gym.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,052
    Are you able to start your day with a workout? How about modifying your goal?

Not wasting the $86 a month should be motivation enough.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i'm down to once or twice a week. but i play ball twice a week too so i hope it evens out
  • I've had enough too! It's been almost 9 years since my injuries. I spent the first 3 years in physical rehab 3-5 days a week. The past 5 years rehab & gym work at least 6 months a year. I know being in good shape kept me alive after the explosion but since turning 50 last year things have being moving down hill fast. I don't feel I have the strength or motivation to continue. Feeling weak, overwhelmed & depressed isn't helping matters.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • It's easier and cheaper just to get a bench and free weights. My friend is a trainer so he taught me the right way to exercise. There is a GREAT web site that gives you demos, pixs, and routine. It's bodyforlife.com I put on my Pearl Jam REAL loud and escape. Check out the web site.
    2009 Philly Spectrum 10/28
    2010 Jazz Fest*Kansas City*St.Louis*Columbus*Noblesville*Bristow*
    Hartford*Newark*MSG1*MSG2*Dublin*Belfast*HydePark*Nijmegen*
    Berlin*WM3Little Rock*Bridge 1&2
    2011 Eddie Vedder*Chicago*St Louis*San Diego*Long Beach*Los Angles*Santa Barbara
    PJ20 1&2*Canada Tour*Montreal*Toronto 1&2*Ottawa*Hamilton*Winnipeg*
    Saskatoon*Calgary*Edmonton*Vancouver
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    My advice would be to stop exercising for the sake of exercising and do something that causes you to exercise like play sports, and change up whatever you do often. Join a basketball league, then get into swimming for a while, then take up tennis, etc. Just my opinion based on what is good for me...all the best to you.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • I used to play indoor soccer but stoppd when I injured my knee.
    Dragged my ass to the gym this afternoon, again struggled to finish my sets of weights.
    Really struggling with my arms, legs I am good.
    Vertical press is the most challenging for me, I cannot finish sets, vertical press not as bad but fucked up today.
    Then I see everyone in there with big arms and I feel so small.
    I think I need a training partner maybe.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    Are you able to start your day with a workout? How about modifying your goal?

Not wasting the $86 a month should be motivation enough.

Probably not, I am not an early bird at all.
    I start work at 8am, need to be at the gym at 4.30am-5am.
    Dragged my ass to the gym this afternoon, again struggled to finish my sets of weights.
    Vertical press is the most challenging for me, I cannot finish sets, vertical press not as bad but fucked up today.

If you can't finish sets you probably have the weight set too high. Start lighter and build your way up, it doesn't matter what everyone else is lifting.

If you are wanting to put on muscle you obviously have to eat more calories than you are burning. Do you track what you eat? It's really easy to underestimate how much you need to eat.

If you can't finish sets you probably have the weight set too high. Start lighter and build your way up, it doesn't matter what everyone else is lifting.

If you are wanting to put on muscle you obviously have to eat more calories than you are burning. Do you track what you eat? It's really easy to underestimate how much you need to eat.

Nope, I eat whatever, but limiting junk food.
  • Nope, I eat whatever, but limiting junk food.

Well then you're probably not eating enough to grow.
  • Nope, I eat whatever, but limiting junk food.

Well then you're probably not eating enough to grow.

Might just get protein powder, the easy way.

• Might just get protein powder, the easy way.

Protein powder has very few calories in it. Yes you need adequate protein, about one gram per pound of lean body weight, but you need more energy calories - carbs and fats.

With respect, if you're serious about achieving any fitness goal, it pays to do a bit of reading on the subject.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I had a cardio routing going really well that I started in December on the treadmill. Last week, the board under the belt of the treadmill snapped rendering it useless. I tried running outside but it is in the teens and 20's outside and can't run well in the cold. Killed my motivation. I am out of work right now so I can't afford to have the treadmill fixed. So hopefully I will start again in the spring when the weather is warmer.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    youngster wrote:
    I had a cardio routing going really well that I started in December on the treadmill. Last week, the board under the belt of the treadmill snapped rendering it useless. I tried running outside but it is in the teens and 20's outside and can't run well in the cold. Killed my motivation. I am out of work right now so I can't afford to have the treadmill fixed. So hopefully I will start again in the spring when the weather is warmer.

you could do old fashioned calistenics (jump n jacks!)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    iluvcats wrote:
    youngster wrote:

you could do old fashioned calistenics (jump n jacks!)

I have been doing situps and pushups all along but the cardio is what really took the weight off.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Me too. I've been working out in the gym several times a week for the past 12 or so years. In the past few months, I've gained almost 10 lbs of fat, but I've just lost motivation! I feel like I've been there, done that for everything. I've lost a lot of fat, I've gained a lot of muscle, I've focused on cardio, I've focused on weights, I've tried running, biking, and swimming as opposed to the gym, I've done triathlons, I've run half marathons, I've done as well I've cared to in both, I've taken a short break and come back...I just don't have any goals beyond this. I don't care about looking perf ect in a bikini as I did in my 20s, all I really care about now is being in decent condition and fitting in my clothes, and that's just not cutting it as enough motivation.

I put down a shitload of money and started up working with a trainer, which has started to help a bit, but I'm still having trouble getting up and going when I'm not meeting him. We'll see if it revives me in the longer run. Working out has just been a chore for me for far too, but if I don't get a good work out several times a week, my body goes to hell, I look like crap and feel worse.
  • listen to AC/DC....you'll get pumped!!!
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    I'm exactly the opposite...I need to go to the gym...I go 6 or 7 times a week, work full time, and go to college full time....sometimes I'll even go twice a day..lift in the morning and run at night. I'm a person that always needs to keep busy and always be doing something. Going to the gym (along with drinking) is also my form of therapy for problems in my life...any time something goes wrong it's a safe bet that I'll be at the gym. It's one of the few places that never fails to make me content.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    God, I lost my motivation to go to the gym a long time ago....

lost all my muscle, but have more time on my hands. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    listen to AC/DC....you'll get pumped!!!

LMAO!

:lol::lol::lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Benzor wrote:
    I'm exactly the opposite...I need to go to the gym...I go 6 or 7 times a week, work full time, and go to college full time....sometimes I'll even go twice a day..lift in the morning and run at night. I'm a person that always needs to keep busy and always be doing something. Going to the gym (along with drinking) is also my form of therapy for problems in my life...any time something goes wrong it's a safe bet that I'll be at the gym. It's one of the few places that never fails to make me content.

I've always felt like this too. I worked out twice a day for a while a few years back. Even though I've lost motivation, I feel like crap if I don't work out or at least get some exercise every day. I get very anxious. This is really the source of my problem anyway (don't know about the original poster). I WANT to still work out, but my rational mind can't figure out why I should. Also, after 12+ years, the whole process has just gotten boring, not so much from the actual exertion. My lack of motivation seems to stem from being sick of waking up super early to work out before work, being sick of having to pack all my clothes and make up and "stuff" that I need for the day every night before I go to bed (sometimes I want to see what an outfit looks like or fits before I commit to wearing it all day!), I'm getting sick of planning all my food intake around avoiding stomach problems during a work out (I want to eat vegetables at night without worrying about what it's going to feel like on the treadmill the next morning!), I'm getting sick of all the extra laundry I have to do to have a supply of clean sports bras for the week, I'm sick of carrying my gym bag on the subway with all my other stuff every day, etc. And I just have lost whatever it was that made me willing to do that all these years.
    Benzor wrote:

I wish I had that mentality. I've always wanted the gym to be a place that I could go to for comfort and content. Turns out it became the opposite. :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • at first its tough for me, but after about a month going to the gym becomes a habit and a place to get away from my problems.

i find that by writing everything down it kinda keeps me motivated to always do a little more every workout. i dont know why more people dont write everything down. i hate wasted workouts of doing the same thing.

plus thinking back to when i was 70 lbs overweight is a pretty big motivator.
    Ugh this afternoon I went to the gym, got there, and realized, I don't really have a workout anymore. Since my original intention, had it been nice out, was to run today, I decided to just run on the treadmill. I ran for 12 minutes, got bored, got stressed, and left. I'm just at my wit's end. I've gained 10 lbs the past few months, I need something better than the stinky old gym for the weekends at least.

I really have to wonder how a person can go from being completely devoted to working out every day for years to wishing they didn't have to at all!
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    never beat yourself up for not going. or think that "well i haven't gone for a week so phuck it".
    that was always my problem. i'd do good for a few months then be busy for a week and stop going kinda like whats the point. but now even if i miss a week or so i go back and its not too bad. just a lil sore.

and i have a bad ass playlist for the gym to keep me goin 8-)