Options

Grateful Dead mix - help needed

GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
edited March 2010 in Other Music
Hey there,

looking to make a chill Grateful Dead mix. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Looking for songs in the vein of:
Ship Of Fools
China Doll
Unbroken Chain

Studio preferred but live is fine too.

Thanks for any help
“I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fotdfotd Posts: 514
    just about any version of brokedown palace
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • Options
    the wheel
    uncle john's band
    morning dew
    box of rain
  • Options
    BG44858 wrote:
    the wheel
    uncle john's band
    morning dew
    box of rain

Ever hear the Alman's version of Morning Dew? It's interesting. Heard it on Deep Tracks on sirius last week
  • Options
    not yet, i'll bet it's awesome! when's it from? i can get most any allman or govt mule stuff... would love to check it out... any time warren haynes takes up a song, it gets a whole new birth!
  • Options
    Warren Haynes is the man.

Thanks for the suggestions. Not familiar with Brokedown Palace or Morning Dew. I like the Wheel
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    The version I heard was from their Dreams box set.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Mountains of the Moon
    Cosmic Charlie
    Row Jimmy
    Stella Blue

And Garcia solo tracks:

To Lay Me Down
    The Wheel
    Sugaree
    Mission in the Rain
    They Love Each Other
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    What about Loser? Man that is one of my favorite mellower Dead/Garcia songs. Please let us know your mix when it get's done and I am sure a few of us can help you out finding alternate versions of your song choices.
  • Options
    fotd wrote:
    What about Loser? Man that is one of my favorite mellower Dead/Garcia songs. Please let us know your mix when it get's done and I am sure a few of us can help you out finding alternate versions of your song choices.

Yeah, will do. After i hunt the songs down i will put them through a series of listening tests (Backyard, car, beach..drinking/smoking, not drinking/smoking. etc) From there i whittle the list down to my ultimate chill dead mix.

Then you can recommend better versions and i can start all over :x

thanks all!
  • Options
    gotta have: help on the way > slipknot> franklins tower!
    or: help on the way > slipknot > fire on the mountain (from 9/20/91 boston)
    there is just so much awesome live grateful dead! got to see them about 150 times between 1987 and 1995!
    "DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
  • Options
    fotd wrote:

Yeah, will do. After i hunt the songs down i will put them through a series of listening tests (Backyard, car, beach..drinking/smoking, not drinking/smoking. etc) From there i whittle the list down to my ultimate chill dead mix.

Then you can recommend better versions and i can start all over :x

thanks all!

That's one of the most fun aspects of the Dead, is the opportunity to hear the same song from different eras and discover the subtle differences. That way your mix is almost alive as it can change over time and with your current moods. I hope I didn't come off sounding smug, just that several of us on here love the Dead and I thought it would be a fun discussion.
  • Options
    ylu guys familiar with the garcia discs?
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&ref=ts&gid=39546576244
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    Gracias for that mix.
  • Options
    de nada
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Options
    fotd wrote:
    I hope I didn't come off sounding smug, just that several of us on here love the Dead and I thought it would be a fun discussion.

No, not at all. I was just kidding with that angry face.

I appreciate the guidance
  • Options

Yeah, thanks. that looks really good.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    That Hard to Handle on the Garcia discs cooks at about 6 minutes in!

• Options
    Who are the Garteful Dead?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options

Not sure, but this thread is about the Grateful Dead. See the topic? ;)
  • Options

Not sure, but this thread is about the Grateful Dead. See the topic? ;)
    I know, Im just pulling your chain. Seriously though, top3 dead songs: terrapin (hartford 77), shakedown street(dead set), and hurts me too(from three from the vault, port chesterNY 71)
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options

and why did they keep following me around?

• Options
    blenderman69blenderman69 philly Posts: 2,104
    scarlet begonias
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Standing on the moon
    Black muddy river

might as well throw in "Just a little little"

those are three that i think would be similar to ship of fools and the other one you mentioned, all off in the dark.
    ;)
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    the only dead song I can stomach is friend of the devil. other than that......meh.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16