New Jersey Devils acquire Kovalchuk.

brother123brother123 Posts: 792
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4888109

I saw this on nesn last night.

I don't know how to feel about this at the moment.

On the one hand, he's OBVIOUSLY a great player who would fit in with Parise and Zajac. Anywhere really. It could even mean we'd have a greater chance at the cup this year too. I'd love to see Parise and Brodeur along with the veterans of NJD win as any fan would.

On the other hand. We have him for the rest of this season. That's it. He's worth some change that's for sure but can and will the devils retain him? Can they afford to with the addition of other top prospects? I don't believe so, I hope I'm sadly mistaken however.

I'm excited.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I hope the greedy fuck goes to the KHL or Swedish league and doesn't come back.

Should help you out for a few months though.
  • brother123, is that a Boston Bruins logo underneath your Devils avatar? Looks like it. What's the story with that?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Personally, I couldn't give less than two shits about Kovalchuk anymore. Fucking spineless liar.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    brother123 wrote:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4888109

I saw this on nesn last night.

I don't know how to feel about this at the moment.

On the one hand, he's OBVIOUSLY a great player who would fit in with Parise and Zajac. Anywhere really. It could even mean we'd have a greater chance at the cup this year too. I'd love to see Parise and Brodeur along with the veterans of NJD win as any fan would.

On the other hand. We have him for the rest of this season. That's it. He's worth some change that's for sure but can and will the devils retain him? Can they afford to with the addition of other top prospects? I don't believe so, I hope I'm sadly mistaken however.

I'm excited.

The thing that sucks about any sweepstakes like the Kovalchuk situation is that he's more of a piece that would put a contending team over the top, rather than a move for the future. We'll see what happens.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Posts: 354
    edited February 2010
    Rygar wrote:

hey, watch your language\

its not his problem that waddell just couldn't manage the team right way
    Post edited by Leathe?ma? on
  • I go back and forth about this trade... I guess I'll wait and see, but I don't know if I like it for the Devils.

They obviously got a great player, but gave up a quality d-man (not having the best season tho)... with Marty playing so much (plus the Olympics), I'm not sure subtracting from the D is a great move (although Paul Martin is coming back). I can see this team sliding down in the standings a bit or I can see them getting a spark from Kovy and going on a tear, I have no idea...

Obvious statement, but if Kovy walks after this season (and the Devils don't win a Cup), it's a terrible trade... If he re-signs and/or the Devils win, then it was a good move.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • now the situation looks similar to hossa-pens, but something makes me think that ilya would stay after this season
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Rygar wrote:

its not his problem that waddell is just couldn't manage the team right way

I disagree. While I have not been happy with the way Waddell has done business in the past, he did everything right here and was basically lied to by Kovalchuk. They offered him what would have made him the highest paid player in the NHL, but Kovy wasn't interested in that. He just wanted to go somewhere else, but instead of admitting to that he says "it's business." No, it's bullshit. Just admit you want to leave and save everyone the time and effort.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Rygar wrote:

I disagree. While I have not been happy with the way Waddell has done business in the past, he did everything right here and was basically lied to by Kovalchuk. They offered him what would have made him the highest paid player in the NHL, but Kovy wasn't interested in that. He just wanted to go somewhere else, but instead of admitting to that he says "it's business." No, it's bullshit. Just admit you want to leave and save everyone the time and effort.

you're atlanta fan? ok, imagine - you have kovy with 10 mln a year. whats next? no perspectives..
  • Rygar wrote:

But he fell for it with Hossa too...

I just think that this might make GM's set a deadline for superstars in their last year. If you can't sign a deal in the offseason, make the trade then. Waddell would have more opportunities making a better deal July then he did now.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'd be shocked if he stayed, the devils rarely overpay for a player, and this greedy dude will milk some team out of a lot of $$$$$$.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Rygar wrote:

If Waddel did offer him the chance to be the highest paid player in the NHL, then that's why Atlanta is always at or near the bottom of the standings. This guys not even in my top 10 or 15.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Rygar wrote:

What does his lying and greed have to do with how shitty the team is?
  • Rygar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

if he was greedy he would choose to stay at atlanta for 10 mln or about. or khl, as you said. i think he could easily get here 10 mln after all taxes, or even more. maybe he just want to play in contender team, no?
    Rygar wrote:

if he was greedy he would choose to stay at atlanta for 10 mln or about. or khl, as you said. i think he could easily get here 10 mln after all taxes, or even more. maybe he just want to play in contender team, no?
    You think he's going to suddenly ask for less from a contender next year? Keep dreamin'.

If he was greedy he'd probably say something like he wanted to play for Atlanta and then turn down a 102 million dollar offer and say he wants the maximum salary. Oh, wait...

And I have no doubt that he can get over 10 in the KHL.
  • brother123, is that a Boston Bruins logo underneath your Devils avatar? Looks like it. What's the story with that?

I love hockey and live in Ma. Naturally I can respect and like an original six team, I love the Devils more so that's why I created the design like you see it.

Having watched the first period I can see this team energized and ready. Perhaps in part by Kovalchuk? I know the announcers are loving him and the Maple Leafs ate trying to shut him down. It's too early to tell but I think this trade is going to bring us something.
  • He made a very nice play to set up Zubrus' first-period goal when he won a battle along the boards and had a centering pass go off ex-Ranger Fredrik Sjostrom.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."