Shark attack off the Florida coast

dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Just saw this on the Huffington Post. How awful!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/0 ... 49318.html

A kite surfer who suffered from a shark attack off Stuart Beach, Florida, died yesterday, Feb. 3, 2010, per local reports.

The 38-year-old, Stephen Howard Schafer, was pronounced dead at the Martin Memorial Medical Center. The incident is believed to have involved multiple sharks.

The Los Angeles Times notes that young great white sharks are suspected behind the Florida shark attack, though authorities caution that it's too early to say for sure.

WPTV reports that schools of sharks were seen off Palm Beach this morning, just one day after the Stuart Beach shark attack.

The last fatal shark attack in Florida was in 2005, when a 14-year-old girl was killed in Miramar Beach.

The city of Stuart, Florida, population 15,000, is home of Stuart Beach. It lies in Martin County,
which has not suffered a fatal shark attack since 1882, according to records.

Stuart dubs itself the "most beautiful city."
It's nice to be nice to the nice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    IT wasn't young whites lol
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Im thinking....

Getting eaten alive..........

Is not a fun way to die.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,713
    Im thinking....

I'm waiting for the first quote from an idiot friend of the guy saying "at least he died doing something he loved".
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Im thinking....

don't venture into their territory and you have zero to worry about
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Poncier wrote:
    Im thinking....

I'm waiting for the first quote from an idiot friend of the guy saying "at least he died doing something he loved".

I hear ya.....

I couldnt Imagine, the HORROR, of being eaten alive.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Poncier wrote:
    Im thinking....

Why so negative? Idiot friend?
    of course it is a cliche and we always hear it, but it's for a reason. Is it better to sit afraid at home on the couch all your life and live to be 90 and have nothing to talk about, or is it better to take chances and do what you love.
    so i'l lbe the idiot friend and say it, because i surf those waters all the time and it's likely that I paddled out next to that guy at some point, so... at least he died doing something he loved!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Poncier wrote:
    Im thinking....

of course it is a cliche and we always hear it, but it's for a reason. Is it better to sit afraid at home on the couch all your life and live to be 90 and have nothing to talk about, or is it better to take chances and do what you love.
    so i'l lbe the idiot friend and say it, because i surf those waters all the time and it's likely that I paddled out next to that guy at some point, so... at least he died doing something he loved!

Agreed. I spend a ton of time in predator filled woods and if I am ever attacked by a bear or lion, so be it. I make the decision to be in their territory, I understand and accept those risks. And I swear, if anyone kills the animal that kills me, I will come back from the dead and haunt that mofo for the rest of their days. I'd much rather be eaten than rot slowly from the inside with cancer or something.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    "eyedclaar wrote:
    Agreed. I spend a ton of time in predator filled woods and if I am ever attacked by a bear or lion, so be it. I make the decision to be in their territory, I understand and accept those risks. And I swear, if anyone kills the animal that kills me, I will come back from the dead and haunt that mofo for the rest of their days. I'd much rather be eaten than rot slowly from the inside with cancer or something.

lying in a coffin? um no.
    take me to the mountains, prop me up under a tree and let the critters chew on me.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I love how Jaws has made every shark attack a great white. The media is so fucking dumb. I'm thinking bull shark.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    eyedclaar wrote:

+1

i've kayaked out in the surf around west palm ... to be honest - i never really thought about sharks but i agree - we need to accept responsibility for venturing into their territory ...
    QA217709 wrote:
    I love how Jaws has made every shark attack a great white. The media is so fucking dumb. I'm thinking bull shark.

+ 100

BULL OR LEMON
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    QA217709 wrote:
    I love how Jaws has made every shark attack a great white. The media is so fucking dumb. I'm thinking bull shark.

+ 100

BULL OR LEMON

With all the bullshit hysteria out here in the northwest, it won't be long before some dumbshit blames a wolf. Yes, an aquatic wolf probably ate that kite surfer.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    polaris_x wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

+1

i've kayaked out in the surf around west palm ... to be honest - i never really thought about sharks but i agree - we need to accept responsibility for venturing into their territory ...

I've been snorkling off Palm Beach and Jupiter Island and the last thing I ever thought of were sharks atacking anyone. Even though I don't go out when we've been warned of sharks in the water, hell we've have gators up to 5 feet that we know of in our backyard lake down there. :o No worries about any of that right now because we face up to 2 feet of snow today and tomorrow, now that's scary. :shock:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• QA217709 wrote:

You're right, some people in the media are so fucking stupid it's funny. On the front page of the Palm Beach Post today there is an article about the guy who died from the shark bites. The picture in the caption is like a 12 foot great white. Just like was stated it's likely it was a 8-9 foor bull shark (or possibly tiger)

haha, an aquatic wolf!? man, dont go swimming up north! haha ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Did the police question Chevy Chase?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,713
    Poncier wrote:
    Im thinking....

Its more an indictment of the philosophy that he was happy when he met his fate, the cliche is ridiculous, you know when the first bite happened he was not a happy camper.
    This weekend we rock Portland