Pearl Jam advertising article

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Posts: 4,641
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unfortunately, it seems like the music industry is turning toward more selling out, simply because of one thing, illegal downloading and piracy. before this pandemic, you really only heard classic songs selling products, with the exception of a few...however with illegal downloading, a bands only income is concerts and merch...sure it pays the bills, but they did spend x amount of money on studio time, and production expenses. in order to pay for that, they have to dig into their concert/merch money, which primarily covers concert/merch expenses.

i hate selling out as much as the next guy, but unless something is done about piracy, more and more bands are going to sell out and it has come to the point where i'm starting to accept it. and if you are one of the whiners about selling out, yet you yourself are guilty of piracy, then i think you need to blame yourself a little bit as well...
  • +1
    unfortunately, it seems like the music industry is turning toward more selling out, simply because of one thing, illegal downloading and piracy. before this pandemic, you really only heard classic songs selling products, with the exception of a few...however with illegal downloading, a bands only income is concerts and merch...sure it pays the bills, but they did spend x amount of money on studio time, and production expenses. in order to pay for that, they have to dig into their concert/merch money, which primarily covers concert/merch expenses.

i hate selling out as much as the next guy, but unless something is done about piracy, more and more bands are going to sell out and it has come to the point where i'm starting to accept it. and if you are one of the whiners about selling out, yet you yourself are guilty of piracy, then i think you need to blame yourself a little bit as well...
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    why shouldn't bands take advantage of the new way of doing business in the music industry? It's no longer "selling out" - it's how the music biz works now...and so it goes...
    be philanthropic