Last Kiss, worst song PJ's covered?

2»

Comments

• spatspat Posts: 644
    i was never a fan of Timeless Melody that they played a little on the 2000 tour
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • IwasBit10 wrote:
    Last Kiss sucked originally, and sucks just as bad with Ed singing. Saw PJ at Summerfest with Tom Petty. They OPENED their set with Last Kiss, and it ruined the show for me. The song is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I was at that show too and I couldn't agree more. It just left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the set. I've seen it twice (Chi 2 '06 was the other, and even though Ed appeared at the soundboard to sing it, it still sucked), and I pray that I never see it again.

That was an interesting choice to open with Last Kiss at Summerfest. I wouldnt say it ruined the show for me....I still thought it was a pretty solid set.

The version from Chi 2 in 06 was awful! It was cool that Ed was by the soundboard singing it, but the timing was way off and it sounded terrible. I skip that song every time I listen to that boot.
  • googoo Posts: 226
    for me, Crazy Mary and that "New World" song come to mind.

• That was an interesting choice to open with Last Kiss at Summerfest. I wouldnt say it ruined the show for me....I still thought it was a pretty solid set.

The version from Chi 2 in 06 was awful! It was cool that Ed was by the soundboard singing it, but the timing was way off and it sounded terrible. I skip that song every time I listen to that boot.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it ruined the show for me either, it just took me a few songs to recover. But I agree, after that it was a rockin set. I had a blast at both of the Summerfest shows that year.

As for Chi 2 '06, trying to listen to Last Kiss on that boot is damn near impossible. Makes my ears hurt.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    I cringe anymore when I hear Last Kiss.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    RiotZack wrote:
    Pearl jam dosn't do "covers". They take other bands' songs and own the life out of them. :D
    top of the range old son. id go as far as to say other bands write songs for PJ to cover because they cant play them them selves :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    guypjfreak wrote:
    RiotZack wrote:
    Pearl jam dosn't do "covers". They take other bands' songs and own the life out of them. :D
    top of the range old son. id go as far as to say other bands write songs for PJ to cover because they cant play them them selves :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Amen to that brother, amen to that.
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    Last Kiss just is not PJ. I always skips this one.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Not their greatest, that's for sure. Overplayed and overrated. Love most of their other covers otoh.
  • If you'd been at the 2005-09-09 Fort William GardenThunder Bay, Ontario Pearl Jam show, where Ed climbed off the stage and ran up to the top row of the rafters to sing LAST KISS while standing on the seats amongst the fans....you would NOT have written this post!! And, you would UNDERSTAND the coolness of this song...
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • spearhead wrote:
    If you'd been at the 2005-09-09 Fort William GardenThunder Bay, Ontario Pearl Jam show, where Ed climbed off the stage and ran up to the top row of the rafters to sing LAST KISS while standing on the seats amongst the fans....you would NOT have written this post!! And, you would UNDERSTAND the coolness of this song...

THAT is f'n awesome!

last kiss was a good song back in the old dayz. i dug it then and still am ok with it
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I can agree Last Kiss would certainly make a terrible opener. Kind of funny to think of it actually.

However, i liked the song when it came out. I still enjoy its sugary goodness from time to time. The crowd gets in to it so that's cool.

This song always makes an appearence at the SanDiego shows and it actually seems kind of special when played there. The '06 version there was really quality.

I'm still going with Fortunate Son
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • I'd have to say Driven to Tears. While I don't go to Last Kiss ever, whenever it pops on randomly I'm always caught up by the end. Also live, with the whole place singing, its hard to not get into it. Basically anything with the crowd singing that loud tends to be good to me! Singalongs people, singalongs!
  • jets521 wrote:
    whip it?

i took a piss when that went down at the Spectrum :lol:

me too.... that one sucked balls
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Banjo wrote:
    If Last Kiss was just a Xmas single and didn't become a radio hit, alot less people would hate on it. There'd probably be threads saying "Please play Last Kiss at _______ show"

Agreed. I think it gets hated on mainly because it's been their biggest hit and wasn't even their song. If this was viewed as *just* a cover and not one of their most accessible hits ever, it would be viewed in an entirely different light IMO. The story in the song is just gripping IMO.