Juliet, naked

WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,979
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else reading this new book by Nick Hornby (Fever Pitch, About a Boy, High Fidelity)?

It sure reminds me a lot of some of us.... an almost fanatical fan base (many of whom know almost everything about the musician(s) in question), a website, a message board, cyber-friendships :lol::lol::lol: . So far, I'm loving this book. :thumbup:

Just like the character in Fever Pitch, I can relate a little too much. :shifty:
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• erebuserebus Posts: 566
    Ha ha, read it when it first came out and thought the same thing.

didn't want to offend anyone though.
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    2024: Vancouver I, Vancouver II
  • I haven't gotten around to this one yet, although I love Nick Hornby's stuff. I did read a book called "The Alternative Hero" by Tim Thornton over the summer that eerily reminded me of some of the stuff we do.

Quick synopsis: The main character is an obsessive fan of a widely unappreciated, defunct band called Thieving Magpies, a band that mysteriously imploded after a ton of weird shit went down at a festival back in the '90s. A decade later, he learns that the singer lives on his street under an alias and he basically stalks the guy to try to figure out what happened to the band.

Thornton does an incredible job of getting that hardcore fan vibe just right, and all the little nuances that go along with it...although the main character is totally off his rocker, so take from it what you will. :D I really enjoyed it either way.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,979

Quick synopsis: The main character is an obsessive fan of a widely unappreciated, defunct band called Thieving Magpies, a band that mysteriously imploded after a ton of weird shit went down at a festival back in the '90s. A decade later, he learns that the singer lives on his street under an alias and he basically stalks the guy to try to figure out what happened to the band.

Quick synopsis: The main character is an obsessive fan of a widely unappreciated, defunct singer named Tucker Crowe, whose career mysteriously imploded after some mystery shit went down in a Minneapolis bar restroom. Two decades later, the fan's girlfiend starts an email correspondence with Tucker and learns all kinds of shit that the obsessives have been trying to learn for years.

That's where I'm at so far. It's pretty funny. Sounds like Hornby may have read Thornton... :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Love Nick Hornsby and just started reading this book this week. Off to a great start. It will probably take me several months to read it due to my lack of free casual reading time. (Damn kids!) :D
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:

Quick synopsis: The main character is an obsessive fan of a widely unappreciated, defunct singer named Tucker Crowe, whose career mysteriously imploded after some mystery shit went down in a Minneapolis bar restroom. Two decades later, the fan's girlfiend starts an email correspondence with Tucker and learns all kinds of shit that the obsessives have been trying to learn for years.

That's where I'm at so far. It's pretty funny. Sounds like Hornby may have read Thornton... :shock:

Definitely now on my list to read, this sounds like a funny book. I just read my first comedy novel and it was...interesting, but in retrospect I did laugh my ass off.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:

Definitely now on my list to read, this sounds like a funny book. I just read my first comedy novel and it was...interesting, but in retrospect I did laugh my ass off.

I wouldn't really call it a "comedy novel." As with Hornby's other stuff, it is funny but there's an undercurrent of obsession, doom, gloom, dysfunction, etc. I had way too much in common with the loser in Fever Pitch. :lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    This thread's title held SO much potential...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    DeLukin wrote:
    This thread's title had SO much potential...

bait and switch, dude.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    i'm gonna pick this one up after i finish one of his earlier books.."a long way down"...just started it last night.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com