Options

drawing-a-day

chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
edited January 2011 in The Art Wall
anybody here tried doing it?

i've been trying to make a point of creating something every day, or every other day anyway, and to share it on my blog. even if it's a doodle i come up with on a coffee break, just to discipline myself, and to update my blog more too!

i've seen others do it with drawings/paintings/photography, and it's been fun so far. if you do it, show me what you do! here's mine :)http://b-drawn.blogspot.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I think it helps to stay open if you create something everyday, so it's a good idea. :)

That's one reason I try to put pictures up everyday.

(I learned the value of being moderately obsessive like this from having to practice the piano everyday as a kid.) :? :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I think it helps to stay open if you create something everyday, so it's a good idea. :)

(I learned the value of being moderately obsessive like this from having to practice the piano everyday as a kid.) :? :D
    heehee

yeah i was debating whether or not to do it because i don't feel that creativity should be forced (and some days the well is just plain dry lol) but decided it'd be good to try :) it's been more a stream of consciousness as far as the sketches have been going
  • Options
    justam wrote:

heehee

yeah i was debating whether or not to do it because i don't feel that creativity should be forced (and some days the well is just plain dry lol) but decided it'd be good to try :) it's been more a stream of consciousness as far as the sketches have been going

You don't have to force it. I think it's like a muscle that gets stronger with use. :D

Mainly you just have to keep your eyes open for something that inspires you. It could be ANYTHING. Light, water, color, a momentary idea... once you practice it, you get better at noticing what works for you.
    :mrgreen:

I didn't mention sound, but that's a big one too. ;)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    justam wrote:

heehee

You don't have to force it. I think it's like a muscle that gets stronger with use. :D

Mainly you just have to keep your eyes open for something that inspires you. It could be ANYTHING. Light, water, color, a momentary idea... once you practice it, you get better at noticing what works for you.
    :mrgreen:

I didn't mention sound, but that's a big one too. ;)
    oh definitely, it is like a muscle! i doodle every day but just making a point of sharing it makes me more dedicated about keeping it up.

and yes, music is a big inspiration for sure :D
  • Options
    I just want to say, I think you do fantastic work chiquimonkey. Great stuff.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    thank you! :)
  • Options
    craigbcraigb Posts: 806

Ditto!! I LOVE the straight line drawings. Damn cool.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    craigb wrote:

Ditto!! I LOVE the straight line drawings. Damn cool.
    thank you! just put up a couple new ones, from last night and just now from my break at work :)
  • Options
    i doodle all the time and get the kids to as well....but nothing like you do.

ifs so fun to play with an idea and change it over weeks or months..

thanks for showing us your talent
  • Options
    i doodle all the time and get the kids to as well....but nothing like you do.

ifs so fun to play with an idea and change it over weeks or months..

thanks for showing us your talent
    thank you! it's definitely forcing me to do something creative every day, not that i should be forced or anything, but it is providing more discipline. been better about it this week!
  • Options
    happy love day to my fellow PJ fans :)

http://b-drawn.blogspot.com/2010/02/feb ... -2010.html
  • Options
    http://b-drawn.blogspot.com/2010/11/nov ... -2010.html

So much for daily art :lol: been busy with the art-o-mat gig though!
  • Options
    ive done process based stuff before... more like performance rituals than a specific outcome... or collecting a random item every day for a sculpture... nothing really worth sharing :)

its a nice brainstorming/warm up activity if nothing else

love your progress on the art-o-mat stuff

finally done student teaching so hopefully i'll be able to get back to my art practice a little bit everyday :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    http://b-drawn.blogspot.com/2010/11/november-21-2010.html

So much for daily art :lol: been busy with the art-o-mat gig though!

The art-o-mat project is awesome. I wish those machines were around here, I think they would do well in the right location.

(hi chiqui! :::waves :wave: )
  • Options
    Hey there. A friend of mine started something similar back at the beginning of '09. The point was to get a bunch of our classmates and friends to participate in a "Sketch a day" challenge. I think there were like 30 to 40 of us that participated at first, but then it kind of dwindled. The first month was real great and we actually had people sticking with their guns and going for it, but by about month two people started losing steam. I still have my blog and try to add stuff to it on a semi regular basis. I don't have the time to do a Sketch-a-day anymore, but I tried to make up for it with my "Friday Night Sketch Challenge." Basically, I videotape myself sketching with a challenge of trying to get my image created in under 13 minutes. Then I scan and color the images. Last nights challenge was Gene Simmons: http://jackgregoryillustrator.blogspot.com/

Anyways, good luck. I checked out your work and dig it.
  • Options
    Hey there. A friend of mine started something similar back at the beginning of '09. The point was to get a bunch of our classmates and friends to participate in a "Sketch a day" challenge. I think there were like 30 to 40 of us that participated at first, but then it kind of dwindled. The first month was real great and we actually had people sticking with their guns and going for it, but by about month two people started losing steam. I still have my blog and try to add stuff to it on a semi regular basis. I don't have the time to do a Sketch-a-day anymore, but I tried to make up for it with my "Friday Night Sketch Challenge." Basically, I videotape myself sketching with a challenge of trying to get my image created in under 13 minutes. Then I scan and color the images. Last nights challenge was Gene Simmons: http://jackgregoryillustrator.blogspot.com/

I love the idea of filming a sketch! Your stuff is awesome :) I should give that filming thing a try
  • Options

I love the idea of filming a sketch! Your stuff is awesome :) I should give that filming thing a try

You totally should.
  • Options

You totally should.
    I tried it last nite as a test! I'm gonna do it for a full-on sketch, I'm off work for the rest of this week and next week so I'm planning lots of drawing love :D
  • Options
    Was so busy organizing this week I didn't really even get a chance to do much drawing! Was determined to get something done tonight though. Here's a closeup of what I did tonight :)

looking+up.jpg

http://b-drawn.blogspot.com/2011/01/january-2-2011.html
  • Options
    Good job Chiqui. I like it!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    Good job Chiqui. I like it!! :)
    Thanks! :)