6 Nations!!!

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
That's right everybody, it's that time of year again. Every year in around February/March myself and Heineken Helen come together in a thread to argue about the merits of Irelands front row, and generally slag off the state of English Rugby today.
On Saturday, the best sporting tournament - the 6 Nations rugby tournament - Begins.
A Fight for glory and honour amongst the finest International Rugby teams this side of the Equator.
Ireland for the GRAND SLAM!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I am looking forward to some DING DONG battles, can't wait!
    The Irish have got stronger and stronger in all areas and must be Fave to win it.
    England getting better and won't give anyone an easy game.
    Wales are a great team and have some very good tactics, Gattlin has done a great job.
    Scotland, France and Italy are all capable of upsetting someone.
    GREAT ENTERTAINMENT men battling it out AWESOME, baited breath for me!
  • The last three five or six nations following a Lions tour were won by the French...

...Don't think the Welsh have got a chance against England on Saturday.

Still: Cymru am byth!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    That's right everybody, it's that time of year again. Every year in around February/March myself and Heineken Helen come together in a thread to argue about the merits of Irelands front row, and generally slag off the state of English Rugby today.
    On Saturday, the best sporting tournament - the 6 Nations rugby tournament - Begins.
    A Fight for glory and honour amongst the finest International Rugby teams this side of the Equator.
    Ireland for the GRAND SLAM!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!

bwahahahahahahahhaha
    :lol::lol::lol:
    :P

GO GREEN TEAM!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Damn right, go green team! Don't belittle my favourite sport.
    It'll be an interesting one this year. Ireland I'd say are probably favourites to win again, but to win the championship twice in a row is a tall order. Scotland are improving, Wales as was said earlier are doing good under Gatland, and the French....well you just never know what they're gonna do. I have to admit i have no idea what England are like this year. Can't wait for Saturday.
    It'll be an interesting one this year. Ireland I'd say are probably favourites to win again, but to win the championship twice in a row is a tall order. Scotland are improving, Wales as was said earlier are doing good under Gatland, and the French....well you just never know what they're gonna do. I have to admit i have no idea what England are like this year. Can't wait for Saturday.

im not belittling your favourite sport... cause its one of my fave sports too. as an australian im just expressing semi detached amusement. :wave:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

im not belittling your favourite sport... cause its one of my fave sports too. as an australian im just expressing semi detached amusement. :wave:
    Aaahh, that's alright then. I thought you were American ;)
    Also I was in a bit of a narky mood yesterday :)
    just discovered a 6 nations drinking game on Facebook. Here are the rules :D

6 Nations Drinking Game

Updated Laws of the 6 Nations Drinking Game. Tried to keep it to 20 laws plus the player/nation specific laws. Bring on the 6th of Feb!!!!

1) Try scored = 3 fingers

2) Knock on = 2 fingers

3) Substitution = 2 fingers

4) Multiple substitutes at once = finish remainder of pint

5) Drop goal = 2 fingers

6) If a decision goes to the TMO, everone must predict 'try' or 'no try', those who are wrong = finish remainder of pint (this overules Law 1)

7) Conversion/penalty, everyone must predict whether it will be 'slotted' or 'missed', those who are wrong = finish remainder of pint

8) If Brian Moore or Jonathan Davies get overly patriotic and/or slightly rascist towards other nations = 3 fingers

9) If Brian Moore disagrees with the ref = 3 fingers

10) Mass brawl and play is stopped = you must be drinking until play is resumed

11) Whenevers theres a scrum, crouch = lean towards your drink, touch = press it against your lips and engage = begin drinking, carry on drinking untill the ball is out

12) Blood replacement, last man to shout 'fake' = 3 fingers

13) Whilst the ball is in the air from an up and under= you must be drinking

14) If a game of 'aerial ping pong' lasts more than 4 kicks = finish remainder of pint

15) If a kick off doesnt go 10 = finish remainder of pint

16) If the words 'Grand Slam' / 'Triple Crown' / 'Championship' are mentioned in commentary then everyone must repeat that word, last one to repeat = finsh remainder of pint and then stand up (they remain standing until one of these words are mentioned in commentary again (at which point the process is repeated))

17) Sin Bin = 3 fingers

18) Red card, last man to shout 'off' = finish remainder of pint and then down another one straight after

19) If the ball hits the post from a kick = finish remainder of pint

20) If anyone shouts 'offside/forward' and its given by the ref = everone else must drink 2 fingers

If anyone shouts 'offside/forward' and its not given by the ref= they must finish their pint

PLAYER/NATION SPECIFIC RULES

- If O'Gara makes a tackle last man to shout 'REALLY?' = finish remainder of pint

- If the commentators say something along the lines of 'Jones to Jones' = 3 fingers

- If Lewis Moody is first to make a tackle at the kick off, last man to shout 'Mad Dog' = finishes pint

- If any French monsters (ie Dusautoir/Chabal etc) make a massive tackle, last man to shout 'BOSH' = finish remainder of pint

- If Italy win a game = DRINK EVERYTHING AVAILABLE (or just get a new round in and down it in one)

- If Chris Paterson misses a kick = finish remainder of pint (this overules Law 7)

OPTIONAL PROLOGUE

- At the national anthem, for every player not singing = 1 gulp
    - At the national anthem, if any players are caught crying = finish the remainder of pint

(This law reffers to the players on the pitch, not the players of the drinking game)
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I think if you survive to half time on those rules you're doing well :lol: there's an awful lot of 'finish your pint' in there ... if you don't pass out you're gonna miss some of the game with toilet breaks :p
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    France are actually favourites this year because they play both Ireland and England at home this year but (and I hate to says this...) the Irish seem to have kicked on a gear since last year and are looking strong all over the park....even the scrum held up fairly well in the autumn internationals (there it is the kiss of death :lol: ).

I always get this huge sense of excitement about the start of the 6 nations. No team has won back to back 6 Nations so there is pressure there but I suppose someone has to so it might as well be this year 8-)

Throw in the IRB Player of the DECADE ( :P to catefrances ;) ) in O'Driscoll and off we goooooooooooooooooooo :twisted:
    I need a coffee!

6 Nations Drinking Game

Updated Laws of the 6 Nations Drinking Game. Tried to keep it to 20 laws plus the player/nation specific laws. Bring on the 6th of Feb!!!!

2) Knock on = 2 fingers

3) Substitution = 2 fingers........

ummmmmmm im sorry.... but when you talk about fingers what exactly are you speaking of?? cause in my world fingers dont involve alcohol. ;) :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

6 Nations Drinking Game

2) Knock on = 2 fingers

3) Substitution = 2 fingers........

ummmmmmm im sorry.... but when you talk about fingers what exactly are you speaking of?? cause in my world fingers dont involve alcohol. ;) :P
    you're holding your pint with your top finger of the grip in line with where the line of the drink is, if you get me. you drink down until the line of the drink is two fingers (or however many apply) further down the glass.

Did that explain it right?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,991
    I'm probably one of the few Americans here that care about this....Go Irish.
    Woop! Bring on tomorrow. i got work so I'll probably only see the first half of the game. We should beat the Italians fairly easily, but they can never be underestimated. They always have a strong scrum, but they tend to fade out in the last 20 minutes of the game.

On a side note, guess who was eating in the same restaurant as me last night
    this lovely guy :):):):)

Brian-O_Driscoll--P_153084t.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,991
    Woop! Bring on tomorrow. i got work so I'll probably only see the first half of the game. We should beat the Italians fairly easily, but they can never be underestimated. They always have a strong scrum, but they tend to fade out in the last 20 minutes of the game.

On a side note, guess who was eating in the same restaurant as me last night
    this lovely guy :):):):)

Brian-O_Driscoll--P_153084t.jpg

Know what sucks? They're taking Setanta off American broadcasting stations. :cry: Boooooo....
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    FOOK YES!

I love this time of year too. I'm about to bake a cake ready to have a slice with a cuppa T for kick off.

I wonder if England will have any balls this year and do well.

That drinking game sounds brilliant, but I do agree with chime; who the hell could still be standing at the end of the game?!
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
    Come the day and come the hour
    Come the power and the glory...

Here we go people! :D
    Nice piece on Bill McLaren. I'm on my way do the food shop. Hopefully back I'm time for England v Wales :shock: :o

Ireland definitely favourites this year then France.
  • 16-3 to Ireland...

Dave's behind Italy and I'm supporting Ireland...

(he knows they're not going to win, he just love them underdogs! :lol: )

I'll be watching the England play Wales when i'm getting ready to go out... I might make my friend put on the reaminder of the game at his when we get there actually :think:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Yay France!
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    redrock wrote:
    Yay France!

Really?? I only saw half of it, then was out, I thought Scotland might make a comeback.
    Claireack wrote:
    .... I thought Scotland might make a comeback.
    Pffft.... as if :roll: :P
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    redrock wrote:
    Pffft.... as if

You never know ....... ok, maybe I was a little optimistic :?
    Looks like Ferris might get to play this weekend. He trained today. Fingers crossed!
    Ok, could be the most important day of the tournament this year. Ireland and France, the only 2 teams who can really make a challenge this year, are going head to head in Paris. It's gonna be one hell of a game.
    COME ON IRELAND!!!!

I'd love to see Scotland beat Wales today too.
    Come on people, no-one else ultra excited about today???
    Ok, could be the most important day of the tournament this year. Ireland and France, the only 2 teams who can really make a challenge this year, are going head to head in Paris. It's gonna be one hell of a game.
    COME ON IRELAND!!!!

I feel I must support France. ALLEZ FRANCE!
    Come on Scotland! They're playing schoolboy rugby, but they're doing so very well, with confidence and purpose. Wales are non existent. Hopefully the Scots can keep this up.
    I feel bad for the Scots ... after that the France v Ireland game has a lot to live up to :lol:
    chime wrote:
    I feel bad for the Scots ... after that the France v Ireland game has a lot to live up to :lol:
    True, they must be gutted. Would've been great to see them win.
    The tension for the Ireland match is killing me right now.
    chime wrote:
    True, they must be gutted. Would've been great to see them win.
    The tension for the Ireland match is killing me right now.

I get to enjoy a largely tension free 6 nations seen as England aren't expected to do anything :oops: :P